Arduino SCSI device - Work in Progress

On 1/26/2021 at 11:18 PM, erichelgeson said:

First batch is up for 68kmla'ers - after my "Friends and Family" round there's only a few left. Second batch should be ready next week I hope.

https://gum.co/bluescsi-1b

5x$5 off with code 68kmla

USA only shipping for now - discussing with someone who wants to build them in the EU, so stay tuned!

If you don't want a kit or assembled but would like to chip in towards development you can do so here https://gum.co/EifeC

Dev updates:

Performance up to 1024kb/sec read now.

Allow arbitrary names so you know whats on your images

Allow for setting SCSI Vendor/Product/Version info via config files

Plans:

Daughter board for db25 and powerbook connections.

BluePills are getting scarce and more fakes, looking at other dev boards to port to.

I haven't been round much lately to see the progress on this, looks like you've improved the code quite a bit to get a respectable 1024kb read performance, just wanted to say congrats there.

was thinking of buying once of you're kits to see how its coming along out of curiosity but I imagine shipping to Australia would be expensive...?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
17 hours ago, Chopsticks said:

I haven't been round much lately to see the progress on this, looks like you've improved the code quite a bit to get a respectable 1024kb read performance, just wanted to say congrats there.

was thinking of buying once of you're kits to see how its coming along out of curiosity but I imagine shipping to Australia would be expensive...?

Thanks! and Yes I believe it will be - If you give me a zip code/city I can get a quote on Saturday when I ship them out.

4 hours ago, wymtb said:

can confirm bluescsi can be used in Powerbook 100. Even if this might not be the perfect solution I took the gerber files from an older thread to build the needed adapter.

Awesome! Thanks for the report and I like the bent sideways boot jumpers to make it fit :D I'll be working on my daughter boards this coming week so glad you posted this!

Will be shipping out the first batch tomorrow. Taking stock and will have the second batch up next week!

On 1/29/2021 at 11:45 PM, erichelgeson said:

Thanks! and Yes I believe it will be - If you give me a zip code/city I can get a quote on Saturday when I ship them out.

I live in Victoria, Australia, postcode is 3213, would be looking at just a kit or a pcb, im pretty good with soldering etc

its mainly a curiosity to see how your project is coming along as well as to do some testing with different micro-sd cards I have here and of course to support the work you've been putting into this, though if shipping is crazy expensive I probably won't be able to buy one at this time

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, Chopsticks said:

Victoria, Australia

Unfortunately at least $18.25 USD - so almost the same price as a kit. If you ordered a few may be worth it? DM if you want to try.

Added more stock the site. Shipped 12 out Saturday, already have a few more queued up for next week's shipment.

On 2/1/2021 at 1:29 AM, erichelgeson said:

Unfortunately at least $18.25 USD - so almost the same price as a kit. If you ordered a few may be worth it? DM if you want to try.

Added more stock the site. Shipped 12 out Saturday, already have a few more queued up for next week's shipment.

bummer, money is a bit tight right now so I just can't play that amount of shipping. it would cost me less to get boards made and shipped from china then the $18.25 shipping. no loss those, I'll keep following along with this thread and see how it all evolves over time and hopefully down the road I can afford to buy one and have a play with it to compare to some of my other sd card based scsi replacements

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have some reports of people having it work on 040 machines - so maybe there was just an issue with my machine. Still need to get to the bottom of it but glad it's working. If you test on a machine I haven't, please let me know!

Received another batch of bluepills so added more stock. Oddly had one ebay bluepill order of 20 get canceled after a few weeks. Luckily have enough for the next few weeks.

On 2/2/2021 at 6:40 PM, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

I'm in awe! Just read the entire thread through from the beginning, fantastic work! :approve:

Thanks, was quite the journey and learned a ton!

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hey @erichelgeson, I've been passively following this project. Would you mind sharing a TL;DR summary of where it's at? I'm specifically interested for the purpose of compact macs but I'm sure others with different use-cases are watching.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my kit and assembled it last weekend. Finally had a chance to connect it and do some testing yesterday! Here are a few observations:

• I initially connected the BlueSCSI to my LC3 mid-chain in an external enclosure with the term jumpers removed. This made my SCSI bus very unhappy for some reason. I was able to get it working as the last device (with term enabled of course) both internally and externally however.

• Here are some performance observations from the same LC3:

• Baseline using its current 350MB spinning rust IBM drive:

1230912175_Picture1.png.6817fc7efd8c253a4445cc643a0e8096.png

• I/O perf from the BlueSCSI using a SanDisk 32GB MAX Endurance SD card:

1434162665_Picture2.png.e46069a03778ee6b20fd83f6d200d964.png

• Seek times are great! R/W throughput less so. I'll try with a different, faster card and see what kind of difference that makes, but I'm reluctant to use SD cards without wear-leveling to store data I actually care about...

I'm going to try running it as the primary OS drive, but if it's noticeably slower, I may see if I can get this guy working in my XT :)

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, sutekh said:

Here are a few observations

Glad everything is working well! Ya a LC 3 is on the top end of the 030's you'd want to use  - you might get a few kb/sec faster write with a different SD card, but looks about right.

Not sure about the termination issue you saw being in the middle of the chain - I believe I have used it in the middle in an external enclosure, but could test again later. Possibly cable length could be an issue?

On 2/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, Stephen said:

TL;DR summary of where it's at

For sale, see link in my signature. Would be great of the forum allowed editing initial posts.

20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

availability of these on the European side of the Atlantic

Not yet, but soon(tm) :) It'll be posted here once available. I did ship a set to Canada, but it's quite expensive.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:23 AM, erichelgeson said:

Glad everything is working well! Ya a LC 3 is on the top end of the 030's you'd want to use  - you might get a few kb/sec faster write with a different SD card, but looks about right.

Not sure about the termination issue you saw being in the middle of the chain - I believe I have used it in the middle in an external enclosure, but could test again later. Possibly cable length could be an issue?

For sale, see link in my signature. Would be great of the forum allowed editing initial posts.

Not yet, but soon(tm) :) It'll be posted here once available. I did ship a set to Canada, but it's quite expensive.

Hi, how do we order a Bluescsi to SD kit from Australia as there is no overseas option ?

Thanks Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Have tested bluescsi inside my Macintosh Portable. With the correct adapter it was working perfectly.

Beside of this I decided for me to build a Powerbook pcb. Beside that I forgot one via which was corrected with a bodge wire everything went smooth. Without the adapter it fits better into the available space.

Beside of this I tested my pcb and the normal pcb with adapter inside a DEC Multia. Needed to change powersource from termpower to the 5volt pins available inside the connector. After this change bluescsi was working inside DEC Multia. Hope I will find some time next weekend to test inside a SUN Voyager.

IMG_20210228_114435.thumb.jpg.c7b20054d47c762ab611821d76c828ff.jpgIMG_20210228_114734.thumb.jpg.c8707e844f0f05aa3db803ae417fb06a.jpgIMG_20210228_114734.thumb.jpg.c8707e844f0f05aa3db803ae417fb06a.jpgIMG_20210228_114744.thumb.jpg.dbcf4f9cc85ad08bbf9e4622a536ba1e.jpgIMG_20210228_114734.thumb.jpg.c8707e844f0f05aa3db803ae417fb06a.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have to say I was blown away at the great work @erichelgeson has done here. I haven’t had a chance to put my units together yet but the packaging, online instructions, 3D printed holder and the awesome ImageWriter II printed quick start guide speak to a level of attention to detail that made opening up the package a complete pleasure. Thanks!!

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, wymtb said:

Have tested bluescsi inside my Macintosh Portable. With the correct adapter it was working perfectly.

That looks great! Does the Portable have the same SCSI connector as the PowerBook line? I haven't seen a portable in person before :)

20 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

I have to say I was blown away at the great work @erichelgeson has done here. I haven’t had a chance to put my units together yet but the packaging, online instructions, 3D printed holder and the awesome ImageWriter II printed quick start guide speak to a level of attention to detail that made opening up the package a complete pleasure. Thanks!!

Thanks! Let us know how they end up working for you.

19 hours ago, fabian said:

Cool project! Will buy as soon as it's available in Europe!

Soon, seems it's a bit trickier to get some parts in the UK now...

And just a quick update - stock is low - last week went through almost all I had left on hand. 60 more on the way, should only be a week or so though if Shipping times hold.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Speaking of making powerbook and portable versions of the BlueSCSI/ardscsino, I just ordered a set of prototype PCBs for PB, portable, and desktop.  If they end up working (which I certainly hope they do) I'll start producing them.  Powerbook scsi drives only get more expensive over time, and mac portable scsi drives are even worse.  These boards will use the scsi active termination standard that should be more efficient in terms of power usage (hopefully won't kill your PB battery as fast as the original drive :) ).

• 68kMLA Supporter

I just assembled the kit and booted up my Macintosh Classic II. I can't believe how easy this is to configure — I am happy the SCSI2SD is an option and own one but the BlueSCSI is dead simple and appreciably more accessible in cost!

On 3/8/2021 at 3:11 AM, erichelgeson said:

That looks great! Does the Portable have the same SCSI connector as the PowerBook line? I haven't seen a portable in person before :)

The Portable uses a 34 pin connector.

https://68kmla.org/forums/topic/49528-macintosh-portable-34-pin-to-50-pin-scsi-cable/

I used a 34 to 50 pin McMaster adapter for which I was able to find gerber files.