Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

On 3/29/2021 at 4:38 AM, Kai Robinson said:

I think i might end up having to do that - as the outlay is getting larger - annoyingly, the most expensive things here are the ADB filter, and the 8-pin mini DIN's! More than the 65C22's!

What component are you using as ADB filter ? Interested for a project of mine. I'm using a lot of CMS beads, probably not the best way to do it.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, demik said:

What component are you using as ADB filter ? Interested for a project of mine. I'm using a lot of CMS beads, probably not the best way to do it.

It's in the Mouser BOM link i posted a page back - Halo 24uH line filter :)

21 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

It's in the Mouser BOM link i posted a page back - Halo 24uH line filter :)

Got it thanks ! For some reason I though it was a SMT part like on LCs...

• 68kMLA Supporter

Little update:

• First 20 x production boards are now ON THEIR WAY from JLCPCB -  MATTE BLACK solder mask with ENIG Immersion Gold finish - ETA 2021-04-09
  • All custom embroidered Macintosh SE reverse engineering team polo's are being manufactured by Workwear Express Ltd - ETA 2021-04-12

Once both are available, contributors orders will be sent, then the remaining orders will be fulfilled. I've got a huge spreadsheet now, almost all of the original run of black boards are gone, i have 3 left!

Future board productions will be done in GLOSS BLUE with ENIG Immersion Gold finish, ala @Bolle's boards. Future orders will be done via both the forum (via DM's) and tindie - although only 68k MLA members will get the discounted rate of £36+P&P per board.

The first 20 boards will be shipped with a 15.6672MHz oscillator - i have a LIMITED supply of the RTC/SND/ADB + Adapterboard/SWIM/GLU Clone chips - available while stocks last! I will be reaching out to UTSource again for more, but supplies might dry up suddenly, so please PLEASE PLEASE save all the custom's off your board, just in case!!

If you have a TL866 MKII programmer, you can burn the .jed to a PAL16L8/ATF16V8 yourself using the .jed posted in this thread. 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Kai Robinson said:

If you have a TL866 MKII programmer, you can burn the .jed to a PAL16L8/ATF16V8 yourself using the .jed posted in this thread. 

Which parts are replaceable by GALs again? And there's a microcontroller for ADB, too, right? Which custom chips still can't be replaced?

• 68kMLA Supporter

@nyankat the GLU can be replaced. The ADB is 'in progress' - ie, ripping the rom direct from the silicon die itself, to be able to shove into a PIC16F54 (the original ADB chip is the PIC16CR54). The BBU isn't replicated, the RTC isn't replicated, the SND or SWIM aren't replicated.

• 68kMLA Supporter

So - one of the things i've done, is setup a limited company for the purposes of reverse engineering PCB's and custom chips as well as designing solutions for the retro community.

Part of that process involves buying a domain, setting up a cloud server and setting up a wiki on it. I decided that a wiki was the best way to distill the information involved in the reverse engineering process of this particular project. It can be viewed here: https://wiki.phoenix-engineering.org/wiki/Macintosh_SE_Reloaded

Still a work in progress, but it'll be update probably daily this week as i get enough free time to write it up and condense everything.

Please feel free to sign up on the wiki to document your own projects. 

i've ... setup a limited company for the purposes of reverse engineering PCB's and custom chips as well as designing solutions for the retro community.

This is fantastic!!

If the analog board can likewise be cloned/reimagined (with a solution that makes using a modern internal CRT substitute and/or external monitor trivial) and all the custom chips (which presently need to be harvested from dead original boards) recreated,  combined with one of Maceffects' clear cases, it will be theoretically possible to build an SE or (eventually) SE/30 out of completely new parts!

c

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

No need to clone the analogue board imo - i'd use something like this: https://www.distec.de/en/products/tft-display-modules/detail/mitsubishi/aa084xd01 with a continuation of something like this: http://synack.net/~bbraun/sevideo/ to do away with the analogue video entirely. 512x342 x 2 = 1024x684, so 42 pixels of 'black bar' top and bottom to fit onto a 1024x768 display. 

If @Johan Grip can grab the images of the ADB ROM and parse that, there's another custom chip solved. @quorten is on the BBU and RTC, then it's just the SND and SWIM chips. Enough data exists out there on the SWIM that it should be possible to reverse engineer into a CPLD like the ATF1504.

I just had a brainwave...you could expand on Rob Braun's work with a more up to date STM Nucleo board: https://estore.st.com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-nucleo-boards/nucleo-h755zi-q.html

Let's see...plenty of flash...and ram...enough processing power to dump video frames direct from the bus...oh and look, a built in LCD video controller (XGA res, too), and ethernet...and hardware cryptography engine...I'm thinking video adapter that can drive an LCD...but also can act as a host ethernet adapter in the system at the same time...

Pie in the sky for now, but its certainly a start...

Edited by Kai Robinson

There is always the TTL mono video adapter from the Larry Pina upgrade book - no need to read/shadow the frame buffer off the bus. I don’t know if it would be particularly difficult to use a cheap FPGA to buffer that signal and show it on some more modern display standard, but it’s one of my eventual projects to find out. 

• 68kMLA Supporter

Can i ask a favour of the US guys here? I need to get something from a US address, but they don't ship to europe - id like to get it mailed to an address in the US and re-ship, would someone be happy enough to let me send via them? It's a load of SIMMCHECKER memory testers!

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, siliconinsider said:

I'm gonna get the other half ;)

I saw there were a few up there :p

I got the 40-bit expansion and SIMCHECK main module. But 5 of each. Just in case. :D 

• 68kMLA Supporter

The SIMMCHECK products tend to have special power supply requirements. They need lower voltage at specific current draw otherwise they can overheat. When using the 40-bit port, the SIMMCHECK power must be disconnected and only the 40-bit port power used, which is a different power spec than the main unit. Not sure of the power requirements for that configuration, because my unit is the SIMMCHECK II PLUS with built-in 30-pin, 72-pin, and 168-pin testers.

These were some pretty wild bundles, you got a good deal. I got both of the combined 30/72 pin testers... I needed one but ended up winning both. I can see which one I like best!

I have made 72pin SIMMs but mostly for the fun, they are not rare by any means.