Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter

Remember - ask me in DM for a board, easier to keep track of than in the thread! Unless you DM, i won't put you on the list - i'll need a name and an address - and i need to wait for the boards to arrive :D

• 68kMLA Supporter

OK - for kits, i'm a little torn - i'd like to do passives and socketed components, but the outlay for much more, is going to be a little more than I can cough up in one go. By that, i mean purchasing the 85C30's, 65C22N's all the 74xxx chips, the SN75150 etc.

I'd like to make as much plug and play as possible - and i need a proxy to place an order with PE Connectors, for the SIMM sockets - or potentially someone to visit excess solutions before they close!

I think as long as you offer a BOM with easy ordering, that's just as good as offering the full kit. Maybe even better, since shipping is probably cheaper from e.g. Mouser to me than it is from you to me.

(On my own projects, I find it hard enough to offer an up-to-date BOM, period!)

Edited by ravuya
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I think i might end up having to do that - as the outlay is getting larger - annoyingly, the most expensive things here are the ADB filter, and the 8-pin mini DIN's! More than the 65C22's!

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

OK - this is going to have to be the way to do it, as the BOM for 20 boards would ruin my credit card at over £1200! :(

Wish i could invest in it, but its just too much. There will still be parts outside of this BOM to obtain, such as the SIMM sockets from peconnectors.com, the two large inductors that connect power to the rear I/O and obviously salvage the SND/BBU/GLU/ADB chips if you can, along with the DB19 floppy connector and the bourns R/C network's (4120R-601-250/201) - the R/C networks are available from silicon-ark in the UK for £1 but there's a minimum order of £12.

Attached is the Excel BOM from Mouser, but this link should be all you need: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=ac49e75bb1

For people in the UK - with the board, i'll include the SIMM sockets as long as my supply holds out.

For everyone that orders a board, i'll be shipping a brand new CTS 15.6672 MHz oscillator. Yes, i bought a bulk order of them!

If you want to add the RTC, ADB XCVR and an ADB DIP Adapter board to your order, please say so, i have about 10 sets of these spare, the rest you'll have to source from UTSource unfortunately - my supplies are nearly exhausted.

Project_Mar29_0600PM.xls

Edited by Kai Robinson
19 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

OK, FAO @techknight, @maceffects@cheesestraws, @quorten and @hackshack, I've got some of these done, can you please let me know your sizes! And dm me your address if you haven't already, so I can have these shipped out.

DSC_0590~2.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

Oh wow, this is neat! 

I wear big shirts though, i dont know if they make the size I need. 5x tall. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

OK, FAO @techknight, @maceffects@cheesestraws, @quorten and @hackshack, I've got some of these done, can you please let me know your sizes! And dm me your address if you haven't already, so I can have these shipped out.

DSC_0590~2.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

Hell of a victory lap, y'all deserve it! :) Would send y'all a virtual beer each if that was possible.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, quorten said:

@maceffects I'll second you up that there are also farther things coming for the Plus, 512K, 128K... oops we don't want to spoil the collector value on that one too much.

You are quite right, there are many other systems people have been working hard out.  My exclusion of those systems was only because my mind has been so narrowly focused on the SE series lately.  But, we have some amazingly talented and very dedicated people working on projects here, including you :)

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, maceffects said:

You are quite right, there are many other systems people have been working hard out.  My exclusion of those systems was only because my mind has been so narrowly focused on the SE series lately.  But, we have some amazingly talented and very dedicated people working on projects here, including you :)

I know, I'm really really enthused about the fact that, somehow, this was the year when all a whole bunch of repro projects came together! I blame the pandemic.

I too blame the pandemic, free time from lockdowns, work from home, life changes, et cetera. All of these form the basis for change and development. I’m so thrilled about the work everyone has been doing.  It really seems like we should have done these projects years ago, but now, as prices for old hardware rises - it’s more urgent. 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:25 AM, DrewNucci said:

This very affordable SCSI emulator just popped up into my feed. When it comes time I may be inclined to donate one or two to the cause whenever they are back in stock/if needed. All the hard work is much appreciated!!!

https://gumroad.com/vintagemac1984#oNIca

Seems this post was swamped by the flurry after the successful boot video...  In case you've not found it, there's a thread here on this topic... 

Arduino SCSI device - Work in Progress - Peripherals - 68kMLA Forums