Reverse Engineering the Macintosh SE PCB & Custom Chips for 1:1 reproduction

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/22/2021 at 8:19 PM, bibilit said:

Was just wondering, Apple is a bit finicky with trademark and stuff.

No trouble using their logo and name in your new board (gorgeous by the way) ?

At some point they were hunting prototypes around and buying back goods from ebay.

Honestly, it's a machine that's 34 years old. It's an old logo from the 1970's that's not quite a 1:1 reproduction. If they ask me to cease and desist - i'll tell them where to shove it. I'd sooner release the gerbers on bittorrent than kowtow to their legal department. 

@quorten while that is TTL to digital RGB - the refresh would still be 22KHz rather than 31KHz. I'd give up on the analogue signal completely - and sniff the bus for video, then output to HDMi/eDP instead, so can use an LCD direct, instead of via ADC.

Rob Braun was 90% the way there: http://synack.net/~bbraun/sevideo/

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter

I think I have some spares with really bad corrosion somewhere... they would be perfect for this. I’ll see if I can find them.

21 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

Honestly, it's a machine that's 34 years old. It's an old logo from the 1970's that's not quite a 1:1 reproduction. If they ask me to cease and desist - i'll tell them where to shove it. I'd sooner release the gerbers on bittorrent than kowtow to their legal department. 

I agree, to be honest you are promoting the brand for free...

23 hours ago, Kai Robinson said:

Johan just mooted the idea of a livestream of decapping, examining the silicon - tonight! I'll post a link as & when.

if he can find/decap some SWIMs that would be nice too. Unless you have a cache of those available in some parts house somewhere? 

On 3/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, Kai Robinson said:

'd give up on the analogue signal completely - and sniff the bus for video, then output to HDMi/eDP instead, so can use an LCD direct, instead of via ADC.

Okay, okay, obviously it's where you want to draw the line.  PDS video expansion cards are great for alternate video interfaces, higher resolutions, and cloning the internal display.  The question is if it makes any sense to include some option of "video expansion" as standard fare or if it's better to leave the end at TTL to VGA signal adaptation and pick your own video card for more.

• 68kMLA Supporter

It's not my microscope, this is Johan Grip's setup though 

Amscope ME580T controlled by a Raspberry Pi 4, with the HQ camera and the 7" RPi screen mounted to it, which all controls an ESP32 to control the pan/tilt motors. 10x/20x & 50x objectives.

IMG_20200517_184448_1.jpeg

IMG_20200527_174037.jpeg

On 3/24/2021 at 7:58 PM, Kai Robinson said:

Johan just mooted the idea of a livestream of decapping, examining the silicon - tonight! I'll post a link as & when.

@Kai Robinson I don't want to make any pressure but is there any chance for us to follow such a decapping session someday? I find the idea super exciting :p

Hi,

First post here. I was drawn to this thread by the MAME folks and have spent a pleasant afternoon reading all 31 pages so far. I have a PCB replication project in the back of my mind but I don't quite understand the rationale behind using two PCB layout programs in the workflow. Is it that Sprint Layout is just so much intuitive for component placement and tracking than working directly in KiCad or EaglePCB - which can both be used to create Gerbers without necessarily having to do so from a schematic.

Cheers,

Michael

On 3/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Kai Robinson said:

It's not my microscope, this is Johan Grip's setup though 

Amscope ME580T controlled by a Raspberry Pi 4, with the HQ camera and the 7" RPi screen mounted to it, which all controls an ESP32 to control the pan/tilt motors. 10x/20x & 50x objectives.

IMG_20200517_184448_1.jpeg

IMG_20200527_174037.jpeg

Well, to clarify a bit more in detail.

It's an AmScope ME580T-PZ Metallurgical microscope. I have amscope objectives for 50x, 100x and 500x and a 200x objective from olympus.

I've since modified it with NEMA17 stepper motors for the X and Y axis and added a motorised tip/tilt table with 28BYJ-48 steppers. All of this is controlled using a home made carrier board using an ESP32 and TMC2208 stepper sticks running GRBL-ESP32.

Mounted up top is a RPi4 and a 7" RPi touch screen which runs most of the python code I use to control things, it connects via telnet to the ESP32 to send GCode commands.

The pictures are slightly older ones when I was still using 28BYJ steppers for X and Y as well, I changed to NEMA17 and belts because I had large amounts of backlash with the smaller steppers.

I have two cameras for the system, one is an AmScope MU1003 10MP microscope camera and the other one is an RPi HQ Camera connected to the RPi4 which is the one normally used.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, exidyboy said:

Hi,

First post here. I was drawn to this thread by the MAME folks and have spent a pleasant afternoon reading all 31 pages so far. I have a PCB replication project in the back of my mind but I don't quite understand the rationale behind using two PCB layout programs in the workflow. Is it that Sprint Layout is just so much intuitive for component placement and tracking than working directly in KiCad or EaglePCB - which can both be used to create Gerbers without necessarily having to do so from a schematic.

Cheers,

Michael

For this particular purpose, Sprint does have one killer feature in that it allows you to import bitmap images to use as backgrounds in the layout editor. Makes it a lot easier to replicate an existing board.

There is an open issue for KiCad to implement the same feature but I don't think it's very high on their list of priorities. I've looked at doing it myself but the KiCad code base is a bit beyond my capabilities unfortunately.