Identify SE/30 video card

Pretty sure this bugger is a video card. The port seems odd though (serial port?). Back side says "MoDam SE030 REV C MEMORY PLUS. Thoughts? Its a lot like this card, but not the same:

IMG_5719.JPG

Edited by unity

MIRROR was a Display Vendor, so that's indubitably another proprietary DE-9 interface for a dedicated display. TattleTech/SlotInfo the DeclROM card info for the model and then check the magazine archives for Monitor Comparison articles, Reviews and Mirror Adverts for more info.

D41264C-12 is Fast Page VRAM. "MoDam" is likely a product code? given the platform designation a RevLev. "Memory Plus" was likely the distributor of the CRT/Card combo.?

Has that ASIC been sanded?

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this, since I recently picked up a Maxell-bombed SE/30 with this exact same card... Interestingly, the ROM on mine has a label with "Spark Monochrome".

@unity did you ever get it working?

Anyone know anything about Spark"

Interesting - I bet that's for the many CGA or Amiga-style monitors around at the time, if it isn't a proprietary connector for their own monitors.

It could be a mirrored display solution - a CPLD with a ROM for configuration, some RAM for a buffer and connection to the PDS slot can easily grab writes to the onboard video memory and output that video in another format.

It could also be a 1-bit 640x480 display card. Four memory chips gives it 64k 16-bit words. If the jumpers (JP1, JP2, soldered) follow Asante's scheme that's set for Slot A. If that is a slot identification it is more likely a separate display card.

2 hours ago, apm said:

Do you have the ability to dump the ROM? I'd be curious about its contents.

Should be able to... give me a couple of days... I have a day job, sadly...  ;-)  I'll also post a pic of my actual card.

12 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Have you got a working SE/30 or IIsi for testing?

Not at the moment... I'm mid-restore of an SE/30... the one this card came in had terminal battery damage. :-( I *might* have one I can borrow... stay tuned...

Edited by mg.man

Here are pics of my card... 

large.20210111_115353.jpg.300e6a2391dee2

large.20210111_115328.jpg.80c6b4387d34de

...as you can see, apart from the 50Mhz crystal, very similar to the OP's ... 

BTW, does anyone know if it's at all possible to drive a modern (TFT, etc.) monitor with one of these?

13 hours ago, mg.man said:

BTW, does anyone know if it's at all possible to drive a modern (TFT, etc.) monitor with one of these?

It depends on the resolution. If it's at least VGA resolution (which it certainly is) and not a portrait display resolution, then you should be able to hook up a standard monitor. If the output is 1-bit TTL, you can make a simple resistor ladder divider to get down to the right level and impedance.

If it's a portrait display card, it'll look quite bad on an ordinary display. There usually isn't any easy way to set the width of the picture as narrow as it would need to be.