My SE/30: w/ Turbo 040, ROM-inator, Ethernet and 8.1

What's NOT awesome though is the fact that the 040 is not as software-compatible as 030 accelerators, which is why I use my 50MHz 030 DiiMO card most of the time.  It's super fast and super compatible.  The 040 is of course faster (with its cache enabled) but again, not all apps play well with it.  It also draws a lot of power, which means we either need to recap our existing PSUs or swap out the internals for a compatible ATX supply.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JDW said:

What's NOT awesome though is the fact that the 040 is not as software-compatible as 030 accelerators,

Wow, didn’t know that! I really want one of those socketed Daystar 030 accelerators for my socketed SE/30! That DiiMO looks pretty sweet too.

• 68kMLA Supporter
9 hours ago, JDW said:

What's NOT awesome though is the fact that the 040 is not as software-compatible as 030 accelerators, which is why I use my 50MHz 030 DiiMO card most of the time.  It's super fast and super compatible.  The 040 is of course faster (with its cache enabled) but again, not all apps play well with it.  It also draws a lot of power, which means we either need to recap our existing PSUs or swap out the internals for a compatible ATX supply.

This is an excellent point and I didn't mention the roughly 20% of sessions where I have some sort of freeze... the rest of the time, it could run for days on end. Still, I do occasionally swap it back out for the 50 MHz 030 PowerCache to have a desk full of A/UX goodness (w/ a IIci, Q700 and Q950)

• 68kMLA Supporter

That's why everyone should have multiple SE/30 setups. Swapping around accelerators is a pain :p

I am running 40MHz Turbo040 with ethernet in one, another machine has a 50MHz PowerCache with ethernet and grayscale and even another one with 50MHz PowerCache, ethernet and a Formac color card.

The 040 experience is the same for me as some others already stated... it runs way faster than the 50MHz PowerCache but not as stable - especially if I go for more than one PDS card next to the Turbo040.

I would love to try out the DiiMo one day to see if it performs any better than the PowerCache due to the 64K cache on there.

All my machines run on stock power supplies btw.

• 1 year later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Ha! It has been a while, for sure...

I still have the Turbo 601 but I'm not the one to figure this out... it's way out of my league but I'd certainly consider lending it out if someone wants to take a crack at it. 

1 hour ago, pb3623 said:

Ha! It has been a while, for sure...

I still have the Turbo 601 but I'm not the one to figure this out... it's way out of my league but I'd certainly consider lending it out if someone wants to take a crack at it. 

Ah, dang! Thought that would be a cool project to witness lmao. 

But hey if you ever decide you wanna get rid of your amazing SE/30.... or if you ever need to use it for a collateral loan... hit me up LMAO

On 5/29/2018 at 6:38 AM, Bolle said:

That's why everyone should have multiple SE/30 setups. Swapping around accelerators is a pain :p

I am running 40MHz Turbo040 with ethernet in one, another machine has a 50MHz PowerCache with ethernet and grayscale and even another one with 50MHz PowerCache, ethernet and a Formac color card.

The 040 experience is the same for me as some others already stated... it runs way faster than the 50MHz PowerCache but not as stable - especially if I go for more than one PDS card next to the Turbo040.

I would love to try out the DiiMo one day to see if it performs any better than the PowerCache due to the 64K cache on there.

All my machines run on stock power supplies btw.

Oh! Please say you still have these machines? Would make for some fun quarantine tinker projects

• 68kMLA Supporter

I do, in fact it are even more tuned up SE/30s now I can't even remember all the exact configurations.

They all do have an accelerator, ethernet card and a graphics card of some sort though. I will have to get them all out of storage on one of these days and document all their internals.

Also I can say now that I have a few DiiMOs they are only a tiny little bit faster than the PowerCache in most benchmarks but you can't actually feel a difference when using it.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:37 PM, hilga007 said:

Hey there! Just replying after all these years to see if you are gonna work on the 601 card now that “The Quarantine” is upon us!

This would be a perfect opportunity for 68k genius to figure it out (I have a Turbo 601 and extra SE/30 standing by for that day).

• 68kMLA Supporter

Well, after some messing around this is as far as I got some time ago https://imgur.com/a/AnDMGOB (turn on audio)

It's doing *something* at least. It seems to be poking the soundchip when it shouldn't so I think it totally doesn't know what's going on in the SE/30.

This is all coming from the 601 though, the logicboard itself has no CPU installed.

Edited by Bolle
  • 68kMLA Supporter
5 hours ago, JDW said:

You can feel the difference between the 50MHz DiiMO 68030 and the Turbo040, but the 030 accelerators offer better overall software compatibility.

Plus the ability to run A/UX, since DayStar apparently never got around to adding compatibility for the 040. 

6 hours ago, Bolle said:

Well, after some messing around this is as far as I got some time ago https://imgur.com/a/AnDMGOB (turn on audio)

It's doing *something* at least. It seems to be poking the soundchip when it shouldn't so I think it totally doesn't know what's going on in the SE/30.

This is all coming from the 601 though, the logicboard itself has no CPU installed.

I have never heard that sound from a PPC, sounds like something went really wrong!?

• 68kMLA Supporter

Yeah, that’s the same failure “chime” (minus the blips) that the other PPC 601 cards for Quadra PDS have, which include the nice brass flourish on boot that I think was taken from the 5200. 

12 hours ago, pb3623 said:

Plus the ability to run A/UX, since DayStar apparently never got around to adding compatibility for the 040. 

While unfortunate, I'm guessing that relative few of us vintage Mac enthusiasts run A/UX.

• 68kMLA Supporter
39 minutes ago, JDW said:

While unfortunate, I'm guessing that relative few of us vintage Mac enthusiasts run A/UX.

That's all I use my 950 for. You haven't lived until you've gotten an A/UX box talking to an SGI and a NeXT with a full TCP/IP and OpenSSL stack.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Because it's probably the best machine to run it, I enjoy working with a CLI and Lord knows I have enough 7.6.1/8.1 machines (though I think my 950 has an 8.5 folder).

I'm sure my wife and friends outside of this hobby of ours could ask precisely why one would want to play with 30-yr old computers, much less repair them.

That surprises me - you are much more enlightened than that :)

1 minute ago, pb3623 said:

That surprises me - you are much more enlightened than that :)

Well, just because I've been using Macs since my 128k in 1994 and repair them since the 80's doesn't mean I've been enlightened about the practical merits of running A/UX over standard MacOS.  In all honesty, I've never installed A/UX before.

There are so many different things to occupy our brain power, especially those of us with families and kids at home.  Until now, A/UX merely hasn't been one of those things for me.  Even so, if there were some compelling reasons to for the average vintage Mac enthusiast to run A/UX, then it might make good material for a future video.  And really, that's why I inquired about it.  Thanks for sharing your reasons!

• 68kMLA Supporter
2 hours ago, JDW said:

Well, just because I've been using Macs since my 128k in 1994 and repair them since the 80's doesn't mean I've been enlightened about the practical merits of running A/UX over standard MacOS.  In all honesty, I've never installed A/UX before.

There are so many different things to occupy our brain power, especially those of us with families and kids at home.  Until now, A/UX merely hasn't been one of those things for me.  Even so, if there were some compelling reasons to for the average vintage Mac enthusiast to run A/UX, then it might make good material for a future video.  And really, that's why I inquired about it.  Thanks for sharing your reasons!

I’m somewhat interested in playing with A/UX. I wonder if there is a version of Perl that would run on it for network related utility CLI scripts doing ftp, etc. Maybe just shell scripts would work there. Would it make a useful server for other old Macs running System 7.5 or below? In anyway better than an old Mac running Mac OS 9 from a Unix level integration prospective? Likely limited by telnet and ftp for integration with modern systems...

• 68kMLA Supporter
12 hours ago, JDW said:

what other reasons would one have to put A/UX on a vintage Mac and run it 24/7

I installed it for the fun of it on my Q950; then I keep using it because I really like how each user has their own System Folder.  So I kind of use it to spin up System 7 "playgrounds", if you like, to try stuff out (at least, stuff that will run A/UX).

• 68kMLA Supporter

Slightly esoteric question, but to reduce the swapping of accelerators, is it possible to have BOTH a socketed Daystar Powercache 030 AND a Daystar Turbo 040 in the machine, and simply flip the 040 software switch to pick between them? That way you'd have the fastest 030 and 040 in a single machine without having to swap. This of course assumes you have the power to power these, but that's doable with new power supplies. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
1 minute ago, nickpunt said:

Slightly esoteric question, but to reduce the swapping of accelerators, is it possible to have BOTH a socketed Daystar Powercache 030 AND a Daystar Turbo 040 in the machine, and simply flip the 040 software switch to pick between them? That way you'd have the fastest 030 and 040 in a single machine without having to swap. This of course assumes you have the power to power these, but that's doable with new power supplies. 

I'd be happy to try if anyone wants to trade me one :) The only PowerCache I have is a non-P33 model - which I've read here should work in the SE/30 but it's a PDS card.

I don't see why it wouldn't work... that's what I have to do to the PPC 601 cards to run A/UX on my IIci, 700 and 950 (though it requires a shut down and not just a restart to get that PM 5200 startup "bong")  

13 minutes ago, nickpunt said:

...is it possible to have BOTH a socketed Daystar Powercache 030 AND a Daystar Turbo 040 in the machine, and simply flip the 040 software switch to pick between them? 

Forget the switch, I don’t even know if you can safely have both in the machine at all. 

@Bolle the repair wizard, with the help of @joethezombie who found super rare replacement Daystar ICs, was able to resurrect my Turbo040 from the dead. Sadly, DHL took money for shipping (from Germany) but then told him they won’t ship. So when it will finally ship is unknown. But honestly, I’m a bit fearful to try both in the machine at the same time. I would assume the Turbo 040 would take over, and if not they would merely be a minor hardware conflict that would prevent booting.  But having just gotten a miracle repair from Bolle, I’m a scared little baby to attempt a test like that. Yet, it has me very curious!