Troubleshooting Quadra 950 ADB Port Keyboard Mouse Failure

Today I returned to my Quadra 950 projects and discovered an odd problem. I have two of these, both were working as of a month or so ago, and today they BOTH fail to recognize the keyboard or mouse which of course makes it hard to control boot up options never mind do anything useful. Tried the obvious: different keyboards, cords, etc. and verified that the keyboard, mouse, and cables I'm using work fine on a Mac IIsi.

Strange that BOTH computers developed the same symptoms at the same time. Anybody else seen this kind of problem on vintage Macs? The older they get, the more electronic issues they develop. To my knowledge these have not been re-capped. Batteries were replaced at some point in the last couple of years so I believe they are good. I may retest on another power outlet just because I find it so strange this appeared so suddenly on both machines at the same time.

Any advice on troubleshooting, workarounds, or true solutions appreciated. Heartbreaking to lose my Attila the Mac pair. I'm like Noah saving the species 2 by 2.

Craig

IMG_0382.JPG

1992AttilaTheMacAd.jpg

Aha! Ha! I am laughing at myself ... completely forgot about the key positioning locking out the keyboard. Will leave this post for others who make the same silly mistake. 

Thank you ... can happily return to the project. Didn't check after reading this but I'm sure you're right. I recall stumbling over this before. Odd feature.

Craig

3 hours ago, cstorms said:

Thank you ... can happily return to the project. Didn't check after reading this but I'm sure you're right. I recall stumbling over this before. Odd feature.

No problems Craig, I think the key setting was called the "Secure" mode when the 950 was used as a server, disabling keyboard/mouse to avoid unwanted keystrokes.  What are you doing with your 950 projects?  Mine is loud, with the WGS card I'm trying to get functioning under OS 7.1.

I'm merging my 2 Quadra 950s into one with the best parts consolidated into one good working unit. My original has a funky power supply that works but requires me to power on with a power strip switch external to the machine immediately before booting, otherwise I get a white screen and no happy mac startup after the chime. Took me a long time to research and find that workaround. Been like that reliably for the 12 years I've owned the machine.

Of course the SCSI hard drives are all fading into oblivion thankfully the scsi2sd options are great replacements. So need to finish that up.

Lastly I have Media Vision and Pro Tools sound cards which can be set up for CD quality music recording which I've always wanted to do with my eighties setups. Just for the fun of it and to have a working museum setup. Keeps me out of trouble.

BTW the key usage really sets you up to be confused. When booting from a keyboard press it's easy to forget about it but when working with the computer turning the key all the way to the right boots the machine. But then you have to remember to turn it back to the middle position. Always found that odd.

Craig

Is there a chance you'll be willing to send me the blank bezel of whichever one ends up the parts donor?

I have a 950 I got free in 2012, but it was missing all its drive bezels (I managed to get a floppy bezel, but I'm still missing that one in the middle, and can't find either the blank or the elusive CD-ROM bezel).

c

On 2018-04-20 at 2:13 AM, Byrd said:

Mine is loud, with the WGS card I'm trying to get functioning under OS 7.1.

Loud 950s can be easily quietened by substituting a quieter, small fan. In mine I also opened up all the Nubus slots to increase airflow. The effect is a much lower, pleasant, rather throaty, grumbling  sound. It’s unlike any other machine in my fold. I have run one for a long time that way with no ill effects, whereas a stock 950 is unbearable. Same for the 9150, by the way.

The Pisces card is supposed to function as a L2 cache card only under 7.x, so no SCSI etc., but the cache is meant to work without further ado, so far as I know. That, mind, would obviously be dependent on having some unobtanium memory chips installed in it. Are you trying to do more than that with the card under 7.1? I’ve only in mine and would be interested to know if you have any leads on other capabilities.