Complete Collection of Every Compact Mac?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly possible. I have every single one except for a CCII. The only one I paid real money for was the first Plus I owned, which I bought new in 1988 for the then-bargain price of $999US, thanks to a school discount. If I were really determined to have a complete set, I'd have to shell out some serious $$$ for a CCII. They're rare, and most are owned by Japanese who cherish them, and would only part with them reluctantly.

I think the widely regarded criteria for a Compact Mac fits somehow like this:

- 68k Processor

- AIO

- 9 or 10 Inch Screen

As such, it can also be called a Desktop Appliance. Others are just computers, and are built as such. I don't have any arguments against the iMac, or the criteria, all I can say is that's how it is in the Mac community.

I have a Plus, Classic, SE/30 and Colour Classic, so I will need to get my hands on a 128K, 512K and an SE if I want the full collection.

Make that a 128k, 512k, 512ke, Macintosh ED, Classic II, SE, SE FDHD, SE SuperDrive (I think there was one that says this on the case, even though the FDHD also has a SuperDrive), and Colour Classic II :p And a beige/platinum Plus (depending which one you've already got) if you really want everything. There's more than you might think...

Oh dear, i forgot about the variations and completely disregarded the Classic II. I stand corrected, I have a long way to go! :D

I have a beige Plus at the moment, but did have a Platinum one at one point. Sold that one on eBay though and got £35 for it!

I have a beige Plus at the moment, but did have a Platinum one at one point. Sold that one on eBay though and got £35 for it!

8-o 8-O 8-o For a Plus?! Woah, I'll have to think about putting mine up for sale! Was it a really good example or something, to get a price like that? They hardly go for anything normally, as far as I've seen. Was that a buy-it-now or a bid? I've found that you tend to get better prices for things (not Mac stuff though as I haven't sold any of that - I don't know whether this holds true for everything) by putting on high buy-it-nows as people for some reason go for them rather than bidding on another one and getting it for much less.

It was by bids, but I offered it with an external 20MB hard drive, keyboard, mouse - the full works. I even included 4 1MB SIMMS so that the stock RAM could be upgraded to the full 4MB. It also had a clean-installed of System 6, Clarisworks and some games. The guy who bought it was local to me as well, so he came and picked it up directly.

It's certainly possible. I have every single one except for a CCII. The only one I paid real money for was the first Plus I owned, which I bought new in 1988 for the then-bargain price of $999US, thanks to a school discount. If I were really determined to have a complete set, I'd have to shell out some serious $$$ for a CCII. They're rare, and most are owned by Japanese who cherish them, and would only part with them reluctantly.

if they havent gutted them and ypgraded them to oblivion

very impresive and all but also very sad to see th orginal computer getting trashed like that even if it was a bastard

might be harder then you think to get 128k and 512 k macs because 128k was so little most have been converterted to 512k or 1 mb as soon as it was possible so they were usable

I think the widely regarded criteria for a Compact Mac fits somehow like this:

- 68k Processor

- AIO

- 9 or 10 Inch Screen

... I don't have any arguments against the iMac, or the criteria, all I can say is that's how it is in the Mac community.

It also has logic on its side. If the definition of compact AIOs is completed:

- 9 or 10 Inch CRT Screen

- easily luggable

PowerBooks (of all kinds) and LCs with monitors are AIOs, but they are not compact AIOs because their non-CRT displays have to fold open to be used, or they are just plain too big to be compact. Minis and Pizza Boxes are compact, but not AIOs. Towers are not compact and not AIOs. CRT iMacs, FP iMacs, and G4 to Intel iMacs are AIOs but not compact.

The subject was well picked over in the old Forums, and no-one advanced a cogent reason why any but the Classic AIOs should be regarded as compact AIOs. They were the only desktops for which it made any sense to make, sell or buy carry-bags.

de

... Make that a 128k, 512k, 512ke, Macintosh ED, Classic II, SE, SE FDHD, SE SuperDrive (I think there was one that says this on the case, even though the FDHD also has a SuperDrive), and Colour Classic II :p And a beige/platinum Plus (depending which one you've already got) if you really want everything. There's more than you might think...

If we get into minutiæ, Classic IIs with and without sound-holes on the left side over the internal speaker ... ? And how about 'official' upgrades, from 128K to 'Fat Mac' or Plus, 512K and 512Ke to Plus, SE to SE FDHD, Classic to Classic II, &c., &c. At the original prices of the compact AIOs, board-swap upgrade kits (often with a bucket-swap too) made good sense.

de

Nonetheless, they fit the criteria (all of them), and they are compact AIOs of the Classic AIO line, their LC heritage notwithstanding.

You are, sir, dangerously close to being guilty of feets discrimination.

de

I tend to define a Compact just by what they look like, as they all look recognisably the same, whereas the other AIOs (and the Colour Classics to some extent) look completely different. Shown two traditional compacts, anyone would recognise that they are closely related, but shown one compact and one Colour Classic, or one compact and an iMac, you probably wouldn't see them as being from the same line. Even if you want to go for a criteria-based approach to defining a compact, as opposed to just grouping ones that are clearly from the same family, would one criteria not be the 9" B&W screen?

... would one criteria not be the 9" B&W screen?

I would tend to agree as I don't really consider the Colour Classic as a compact as it has a different form factor from the earlier compacts. Since the Plus, SE, Classic and the rest follow roughly the same form factor (despite having variations in case design), it is fair to group them together as being THE compacts.

Some japanese company bought my 128k for $250USD. It was just the system. No keyboard, mouse, or OS. I wasn't even sure the floppy worked. I know the screen was shrunken, but that was it. The battery at the back was missing.

Then again, it was the first batch of 128Ks, since it didn't even have the "128k" label on it. It was just "Macintosh"

Haha, I guess Apple didn't plan on having any more macintosh's. Look how far we came. From Macintosh, to PowerMacintosh, to PowerMac, To Mac (pro/book/macbook pro/iMac)

I believe Stuart Bell (the Power Colour Classic guy from Applefritter) was trying to collect them all... not sure if he ever managed it though.

From what I recall, Stuart has all of the mainstream compacts, including the CCII and labels that correctly spell "Colour" not "Color". However, it gets more complicated with the Mac ED (a 512 or Plus variant offered outside the US to education buyers). Depending on the taste of moon dust at the time, Apple offered different spec Mac EDs in different countries at different times. The SE family are another problem. Lots of models, different models in different countries, different labels on the back case bucket.

Depending on the taste of moon dust at the time, Apple offered different spec Mac EDs in different countries at different times.

I'd see a complete collection as one that had one of each name on the case though - getting one of every specification would be overkill, I reckon :D ie one Classic II, regardless of speaker holes, one ED etc. Even that is 11 compact Macs though (12 if you want both beige and platinum Pluses, not including CCs), which is too many for most of us to be able to have (where would you put them all?!), and it would be very difficult to get them all anyway.