Need help with Installation of SCSI2SD.

Hi All, I really do hope to contribute here besides my constant questions...

I purchased and received a Michael McCaster SCSI2SD board.  I also have a
2 gig SD card.  I spent a good amount of time searching for How To's and software
needed and mostly what I got was a hodge podge of necessary steps and software
mostly related to emulation.  So again I am asking for some way forward to get
this done.  Saw a forum where someone said they installed a pre configured img 
file that then booted his SE which he got from Linux.  It was 3 years ago and left no path to find
it.  
Appreciate all the help...

Brad Hansen
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Taken from one of my previous posts...

"I would highly recommend using this method: http://www.codesrc.c...=HFSFromScratch

You create a virtual Macintosh hard drive on a modern computer using an emulator such as mini v mac and then copy it to the SD card. It is fully bootable before it touches the Mac Plus. This avoids all macintosh-side formatting issues.  I have used it in the past (on a Mac SE and SE30), and have had no problems. The guide is on an obscure page of the CodeSRC website -It took me a while to find it initially. 

The instructions will work fine on a Mac even though the guide talks about Linux. Strangely, the instructions leave out some important details such as creating two disk images with the dd command (one for emulation, the other for copying to the SD.) With enough experimenting, it should work."

From my experience, there really is no easy and straightforward way to set up the SCSI2SD. I have found this solution to the easiest in the past and it is one of the simplest ways to get started. If you have another mac with SCSI and LIDO/other similar software, it is also possible. I have been meaning to make an easier to understand and formal write-up of this method, but hopefully, this will get you started.

Edited by davidg5678

Hi All, thanks for all this. . I have the disk.img from BGE that opened in Mini vMac program and I was able to

load programs on it from my modern Mac. Question is how do I get it on my SD drive.  Do I need to format
the Drive as HFS and then just copy the disk omg over?
Thanks
Brad Hansen

You mount the disk by putting it in an SD card reader, running basilisk as admin, and setting the image path to the drive letter.

Yep, though I run Ubuntu through Virtual Box on my mac, the mac version doesn't play well with High Sierra. For some reason it only sees the first scsi2sd formatted drive which is annoying as I have to (slowly) copy everything over to my files drive on the Plus. 

Here's what my settings look like, happy to write a quick guide if it'll help.

hESnLx0.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter

Punkyclown:

In order to copy the files from your emulated disk, you'll need to open a Mac/Linux command prompt and run the hfdisk software obtainable here: snapshot

As stated in the original guide I linked, you'll need to create two images -the second of which should be exactly 96 sectors larger than the first.  The first image you use in emulators and the second for SD purposes. You'll set up the secondary image as HFS by using the hfdisk program. Type in the exact things as shown in the example command line of the guide. You can then copy a lido image to the SD card image. (a link is in the guide) The emulator image is then copied onto the SD image. 

The final SD card image can be put onto the SD using dd (as shown in the bottom of the guide) or with software like Etcher: https://etcher.io/