The Ultimate List of Compact Mac Variations

From what I have seen here vs. what I own, I've seen that there are about 3 Classic IIs. Mine - which has 4 ROMs in sockets (mine is a prototype of sorts as it has EPROMs and Apple Printed labels on the EPROMs but I seen a couple with ROMs in the sockets). and two types with 2 ROMs in sockets. Incidentally, my Classic II does not have speaker holes in the case.

The one I unfortunately killed during recapping had the 4 EPROMs. The one I bought to replace it has the 4 regular ROMs. I didn’t have them side by side, but as far as I can tell the boards are otherwise identical, mystery ROM size jumper and all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, but I am just making a list of models. Im not interested in motherboard variations, etc.

Are you replying to me? I'm not talking about motherboards ... you say there are no M0001APs yet there are ... 

This is worth a read if you haven't previously seen it:

https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/13990-those-more-rare-compact-variants/

Edited by Mac128

I've had a couple of M0001AP's, they are Mac Pluses with 240v PSU's. I can take a photo if you would like?

Also, there is a Macintosh Classic with a different model number which has no hard drive installed as standard. I have one of those too and can take a photo if needed. I can't remember off the top of my head the model number but it is different again.

That would be great. As long as they are model number on the units themselves and not variations on them. Like the IIcx is M5650 but the model in the serial is M5658 because the hard drive was ordered larger, etc.

As I said, I've got a couple of Mac Pluses with the model number M0001AP. For interests sake, I also have a couple with the model number M0001A, yet they all have 240v PSU's (which as we all know the "P" designates the international power supply). Another interesting point, the M0001AP's obviously have their model number on the back label, but also on a second label as the end part of the serial number. My M0001A's don't have the model number in the serial number. Don't know what this means or if it's of any significance. Anyway, evidence of the M0001AP regardless.

The Classic without the hard drive (I've always assumed these to be an educational/school version) is M0420. My hard-drive'd ones are all M1420's. I've got a few M0420 Classics and none have hard drives, all have a SCSI terminator (?) plugged into the logic board SCSI socket, looking pretty factory.

Pics below.

IMG_8064_zps8y7mlb7r.jpg

IMG_8065_zpsuugjixjj.jpg

IMG_8063_zps8bdfsgjl.jpg

Does anyone have any photographic evidence of the existence of this one: M0001D Macintosh 512ke (platinum color, original style face, no stamping on front)

I can't say I have ever seen an 'original style face' in Platinum. I've certainly seen M0001D's and certainly seen 512k's in Platinum but never with the earlier style bezel, only ever with the Plus-style bezel and the earlier style bucket (rear).

I think I can already answer this question BUT here goes.

In my collection I have a Colour Classic and a Color Classic. As far as I know, same model numbers too but I will double check. I don't know if you'd want to include this variation or leave it off (especially if they share the same model number).

And the Classic has a variation with and without speaker holes - again I will confirm if they share the same model number as I have both in my collection too.

Only in rumor and conjecture does an original face-plate design exist in platinum. Same for the original keyboard (without numeric pad). That is not to say they do not exist, just not confirmed in any way at all. And with all the yellowing of the plastics, its hard to tell if one has one in the first place.

The name change on the Color Classics is just that, a name change. Hence that little part can come out too and be swapped. But same model number.

And same for the holes. Same model number, just a case update.

Fair enough, I've never seen reference to a platinum original face plate or bezel and (sorry) am not convinced it exists, would love to be proved wrong (gives me another variant to chase haha).

I completely understand what you're saying re: yellowing. Put a yellowed platinum Mac next to a good beige one and the platinum will be darker. Sometimes the only real giveaway is seeing a shielded area of plastics (internal) or looking at other clues like brightness knob colour, power switch colour.

As far as I know, the Colour Classic vs Color Classic is exactly that, just a name change as you've said. I'm sure of it, but I'll check the model numbers when I get a moment.

With the Classic (speaker holes vs non-speaker holes), again I'm pretty sure they are the same model number but I didn't know if you wanted to include this - you've included this fact and listed the Classic II with/without speaker holes and I suspect they're the same model number too.

I would think that IF a platinum face plate exists from the original design it would be an ED model sold in Europe. Seems education models had the most variants over there. I almost bought one from Italy that looked very much platinum. But again, without a side by side comparison I could not say it was platinum.