Jump to content

Lee Adamson

6502
  • Content Count

    23
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Lee Adamson

  • Birthday 08/07/1978

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Appalachia
  • Interests
    Antique Computers. Antique Guns.

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. So now I am going deeper down this interesting rabbit hole.... Does the cache still work when you have the machine in 68030 mode via the control panel, or will it run dog slow like a IIci without a cache card installed? I assume I'll have to switch back to 030 mode to run AU/X. Are there any socket-level type upgrades that could potentially replace the 601 with a 604 (I think they are bus-compatible, anyway)? I mean it would be kinda silly in a way to run even the 603 at such a low clock speed, but the increased pipelining and such might still give a significant perfo
  2. Well, the price was pretty good so I went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty sure it's for the 030 PDS, but I guess if it doesn't work in my IIci I can figure out which Mac II it's actually for and try to resell it at a little bit of a loss. Thanks guys.
  3. I was under the impression that there were different models, for different models of Mac. Was there only one?
  4. I may have a line on a Turbo601. The seller isn't sure what model it's for, and I am not turning up much on the web about how to determine whether or not it will work in my IIci. Do any of you have any advice? Thanks, folks. I really appreciate it.
  5. I've had several ROM1 boards pass through my hands, and none of them have had these mods. Were it me, I'd probably document the modifications (so as to be able to redo them later if needed), then try to put it back to factory and proceed with repairs from there. If I get time tonight I might try to dig up a schematic and try to figure out what this mod is supposed to do. I am curious now. :3
  6. Yeah, practice a little on a junk board first like they said. But don't overthink it too much. You just need the right value caps in the right places, with the polarity the right way. I've recapped Mac boards with through-hole electrolytics (because I didn't have the right SMD components on hand), by just cutting the leads short, bending them right, and soldering them onto the pads. Machines work fine. An air gap isn't going to hurt you, and if you never intend to sell the board then neither will a little ugliness/things not lining up exactly right. As long as there's a good
  7. I think those Zilog rs422 chips were used in a lot of other machines. You ought not have tremendous trouble finding donors, I wouldn't think? I have a ROM3 board that took a Maxcell Bomb to the face that I've been trying to fix, even though it is pretty hopeless (seriously man, it is *bad*, really capital-B *Baaaad*), just to see if I can. If/when I get frustrated and give up, I'd be willing to trade that board to you for something interesting/useful, if you want it. It would be easier to get the chips off with a hot air station, but if this donor board ends up being junk anyway
  8. (Disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist and I don't really know what I am doing half the time.) If you have the appropriate test equipment, I'd start by checking to be sure that there isn't a short to ground on the power rails. Certain types of capacitors can form a short circuit when they fail (old tantalums in particular). I can't tell what those blue ones on your board are (metalized film?), but if you find a short on the power rails, then I'd start with them. That being said, I've found that the IIs of the era seem to have used far better capacitors than the same-era Macs. I've ne
  9. I'm sending him my spare ROM1 mobo and a RAM card, and he's sending me his dead one to try to fix. It'll be an interesting project. It looks pretty dire to me, lol, so I'm not gonna hold my breath. Gunna have bodge wires stacked so deep underneath that it won't snap back over the tabs. :3
  10. When I did my IIci, I was out of SMD electrolytics of the correct values, so I just cut the leads on through-hole electrolytics really short and soldered them to the pads. It actually worked far better than I expected, and I think I'm going to just leave it that way until they start failing (I used cheapo chinese caps, since I expected it to just be a temporary experiment and wanted to use them up). I generally prefer Panasonic, and that's what I'll probably use next time, being afraid that I'll just have the same trouble in another 30 years if I use the "correct" SMD electrolytics, but any
×
×
  • Create New...