Garrett

Garrett's Finds

Recently in a couple posts I found a Macintosh SE on my local Facebook Marketplace. I wasn't going to go for it since I'm already sinking a bit of money into my (superior) 1991 Macintosh Classic, but I wanted to see it go to a good home instead of a landfill or electronics recycler. Last night I ended up shooting the seller a (honestly low-ball) offer to see if she'd bite. This morning she responded.

Tonight, a 1988 Macintosh SE followed me home.

For $45, I wouldn't say I underpaid for this machine - but it did come with some accessories. First, a carrying case - which I've been thinking about a lot lately. I wanted one to tote my Macintosh Classic around when I get it operational. The SE also came with the original ADB Extended keyboard and original ADB "Cybertruck" mouse. Which is great, because the peripherals I have for my Classic are much later. (The ADB Extended keyboard, if I'm not mistaken, has mechanical key switches as opposed to the membrane used in my Apple Design Keyboard.) Also came with cords (two power cords) and a Cal Poly mousepad. (Strange considering I'm in Missouri.)

However, they're not in the greatest shape. They were obviously in the home of a smoker, because the cigarette smoke/nicotine smell is pungent if you're close with the machine or bag/accessories. The computer, keyboard and mouse are all extremely yellow. The computer itself only has two floppy drives - no hard drive. My Classic is a vastly superior machine, but once again I just didn't want to see it go to waste. The bag itself is extremely dirty and could use a good cleaning. Computer also needs a good cleaning to remove writing on it.

It does work and the CRT appears to be bright, and can't see much burn-in. I don't have a system floppy (or a FloppyEmu) to boot it.

A09F26D0-5E82-4D87-9AF0-B35598BA21CE.thumb.JPG.ffcd87bff8e5b28ae733840d6d53ada6.JPG

33183EDF-DF13-4A28-A46F-8650346F3342.thumb.JPG.8ea885c22305251f7cf681374ad34859.JPG

E5596235-AD0B-4124-8B6A-31752D7E3174.thumb.JPG.d9d85d24d243c3893ab3ad6fcbbb93b1.JPG

7BCB41E3-947A-4DBD-830C-F9D757ADCC37.thumb.JPG.bb3a17f6dd38237eb3e00829d52c1443.JPG

imageproxy.php?img=&key=fcb9af74e9143c1b

17 hours ago, Garrett said:

original ADB "Cybertruck" mouse

I'm glad I'm not the only one to spot the resemblance between the mouse and Cybertruck. In fact, I made this photo shortly after the Cybertruck was announced. :)

mouseTruck.jpg

Edited by davidg5678

I actually made a similar meme back on Twitter after the Cybertruck announcement.

2017907491_ScreenShot2020-10-18at12_25_56AM.thumb.png.e26953320900542a1b2006b3c3e56d42.png

Anyways, after getting back home I removed the logic board from the SE to look at the battery. It has a Varta battery that appears to be in decent condition, but I can't remove it since it is soldered on. Which is somewhat scary because I don't have a soldering iron (or skills) and this computer probably isn't going to be recapped for a while, since my 1991 Classic is currently being recapped.

This is my first time working on a compact Mac other than my Classic, and the logic board is a royal pain to reinstall. That speaker connector had me for a little while, and unfortunately I bent the pins when removing the logic board. (I didn't know it was a thing.) I was able to bend the pins back and everything seems to be working fine since.

I wish I had a system boot disk so I can get it working. I plan on getting a FloppyEmu in the (hopefully not so distant) future for my Classic, so I may be able to either use the FloppyEmu on the SE or create a floppy for booting so I don't need to bring the FloppyEmu with me. I'm not sure if the SE will get used a lot - I was intending on not having any more computers (esp. compact Macs) until this all happened, and I was planning on using the Classic for word processing and gaming. (Classic has a 40MB hard drive with Word 4.0, Excel, MacWrite, MacPaint and a couple games already installed.)

551AEFC2-2ACC-462D-BC5D-8581E6F55D8F.thumb.JPG.c2e8efbe187f37744d42f6416f2b2691.JPG

If you are nervous about it, you can just clip the Varta out and deal with it later. Clip close to the battery and leave the legs - you can solder whatever you decide to replace the battery with to them.

I popped open an SE last week that had a soldered in Varta that was still showing 3.1v on it...

16 hours ago, ScutBoy said:

If you are nervous about it, you can just clip the Varta out and deal with it later. Clip close to the battery and leave the legs - you can solder whatever you decide to replace the battery with to them. 

Yeah, I just cut them out when I get the machines to start with.  Honestly, there's ... surprisingly little call for working PRAM at all in those.

Yikes... thats the ugliest "truck" I think ive ever seen. Anyways. 

You can just simply clip out the battery. thats what I did. 

Edited by techknight