LaPorta

PowerTower Pro: ATA CF Slowness

17 hours ago, LaPorta said:

See what you can make of it by comparison.

Well, I want to try MacBench 5 on the Starmax now, because that gap is fairly wide:
sBMutQL.png
Not as many disk tests appeared in the MB5 file, so I limited it to what was common between them

Edit:
Yeah, I wonder if there's something else going on under the hood of MB5. Added the PMG3's SATA results

2MOKveY.png

Edited by jessenator

Well now that's interesting...

r4sAxlE.png

That board bus plus Sonnet has some secret sauce... I'm really surprised by the test against the SATA. I may just have to get out the PowerTower and run it again with MB5.

Also, correction to my supposition above, there really are just fewer disk tests in MB5 it seems. I ran "all disk tests" and that's all it spat out :/ 

I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ran the PowerTower 210 w/ SIL3112+samsung SSD: a bit more uniform with 1MB test files, but still hovering around that 20,000 mark, where the Sonnet climbs up almost to 33,000. Now I'm impressed by the 604e/210 with half the L2 cache outperforming the G3/300 (in disk) :lol: 
LV2drxt.png

Edited by jessenator

I hadn't had to download the macbench results yet, thank you jessenator!

It seems like there's some random slowdown, and, come to think of it:

LaPorta: Did I give you an account on the new vtools? It might have been like on a share called "users3" or something? That new/testing vtools is offline because I had to clean my room, I wonder if the hang-up is because of that.  (At one point you mentioned using an automatic share mount and that might be causing delay if any of the servers are offline or otherwise misbehaving.)

I hadn't used vTools for this, I just downloaded MacBench from Macintosh Garden instead. I'm just trying to figure out what the results say, are longer bars better or are shorter ones?

Longer is better, as far as I can tell, for every MacBench suite (disk, CPU, FPU, Graphics, etc). For the disk suite, it represents the kilobytes(kibibytes)/second rating for each disk test in said suite. At least that's what MacBench says over each of the results… But again, these are the detailed "Disk Inspection" tests: My PowerTower is peaking at ~20 MB/s in those tests, whereas your PowerTower Pro is hitting ~32 MB/s, skewing the graph a bit.

Unfortunately, there are no "Disk Inspection" test results for the benchmark files provided by ZD with the MacBench Program* (e.g. the Power Mac G3/300 I'm using in this specific post below—as well as a PowerMac 9600 for reference), which is somewhat lame, so we can only compare the "Disk" and "Publishing Disk" test numbers as follows:

A (ZD) Power Macintosh 9600/300 ranked an overall "Disk" score of 678 | a "Publishing Disk" score of 667
A (ZD) Power Macintosh G3/300 ranked an overall "Disk" score of 1000 | a "Publishing Disk" score of 1000
My StarMax 5000/225 (603ev) ranked an overall "Disk" score of 1450 | a "Publishing Disk" score of 661
My Power Tower 604e/210 ranked an overall "Disk" score of 2297 | a "Publishing Disk" score of 1165
Your Power Tower Pro (G3) ranked an overall "Disk" score of 1881 | a "Publishing Disk" score of 760

So there's just more detail we're not seeing on what the "Disk" and "Publishing Disk" tests are, as they're different(?) from the "Disk Inspection" tests ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So on paper(?) your PowerTower Pro is running faster than a stock/standard Power Macintosh G3/300.

But back to the root issue, I can only assume there's something with the Sonnet card in general, or some fluke intrinsic to your specific card, that causes the slow downs.

Anecdotally, I do notice quite a delay, especially on shutdown and startup with Mac OS 9.x, especially 9.2.x, on my icebook, and on that Power Macintosh G3 you now have, running on a standard IDE drive.

I wonder if you were to create a new startup disk with system 7.6.1: what would the day-to-day "feel" operations, and everyday things like startup and shudown be like. On my 7.6.1 machines, shutdown is almost instantaneous, and startup is fairly quick as well, no real long gray screen delays, etc.

Sorry about the moire :/

rRyoOZs.jpg

Also, I didn't have your file handy on this Mac to show alongside it :/

I have partitions on the card for 7.5.5, 8.6, and 9.1. Startup on 7.5.5 is quite speedy, and shut down is almost instantaneous.