Sign in to follow this  
Syntho

Which printer should I get?

If its a JetDirect 615n (looks like the card that came with these originally), it'll be a dud. They ALL fail. The one that came in my color Laserjet 3700dn crapped out after a few months. I baked it and it ran for another year. Finally crapped out for good and I replaced it with a JetDirect 635n.

I’ll see about baking it and reviving it, but only after I diagnose and get the paper jam problem sorted. Right now it’s happening only inside the top part of the printer underneath the cartridge. Printing a single page is fine, but when it duplexes it has to go underneath that long metal plate that you can lift up. That’s where it gets stuck every time.

I took it apart and I cleaned the solenoids and wrapped 2 layers of electrical tape on them. I think this may fix it. There is one problem however: a spring fell off of this part and I’m not sure where it was placed. I’m hoping that a service manual is available and it’ll show where it goes. Gonna fire it up in a bit and test. All it’ll need is a new network card then.

Now it’s giving me an ‘install cartridge’ message after putting it back together. I wonder if that spring has something to do with it...

Here’s what I think the problem is as far as the cartridge not being recognized. The 3 pieces on the left - the metal piece, the white plastic thing and the bigger spring seem to press against a piece of metal on the cartridge. The smaller spring on the right fell out randomly and I’m not sure where it goes, but I suspect it has to do with the cartridge detection. It fits inside the white thing but I’m not sure exactly how it’s supposed to be assembled.

When I take a screwdriver and press into the hole the white thing goes in, the cartridge is recognized. The service manual isn’t providing much help.

6616F27F-CC71-467B-B49D-C091A5DB8DAC.jpeg