LaPorta

Classic Sad Mac: RAM Error?

Hello,

A Classic that I gave to my nephew a while back has started to exhibit sad Mac error code 0000000E/00000200. My Mac Repair Book indicates that this should be some sort of RAM issue, and per the book (which is not Classic-specific) it should be Bank A of the RAM, and I think the second line indicates an issue with a particular chip. I cannot rule out other issues: this has been re-capped, and I cleaned it pretty thoroughly but I would not rule out some sort of electrical gremlins or something. I removed the RAM expansion card, and that proved to not be the issue. There was a trace that appeared corroded (the one just north of UH6 that connects between G1 and the SWIM. I traced that down as a ground trace, and I thought the pin on UH6 closest to it was shorting to it, since I got a slight chirp between ground and that pin, which I was unable to reproduce on another Classic board. So, I cut the trace on either side of where it runs past the pin on UH6, and bypassed it with a wire patch...and the same thing occurs. I cannot explain the instantaneous chirp that goes away when buzzing out the trace. I may be chasing a red herring here. The machine otherwise worked just fine until this crept up. At this point, I am pretty much out of ideas as to what might be going on here.

On 9/20/2020 at 2:24 PM, LaPorta said:

I cannot explain the instantaneous chirp that goes away when buzzing out the trace.

Capacitance between A and B?  Current flows to charge the cap(s) just long enough to trip the buzzer then stops