Sign in to follow this  
Jon183

Macintosh LC475 death chime when RAM installed

Hi everyone, I have a recapped and ultrasonic cleaned LC475 that will work just fine with no RAM stick installed, but when one is, it'll do the death chime.

Info: Board was not tested before recap, has no PRAM battery (a 10-pack is on the way though), I have been using the turn on, quickly turn off and back on again method to get it working with no battery.

20200920_102023.jpg

20200920_102028.jpg

20200920_102037.jpg

20200920_102042.jpg

20200920_1020330.jpg

8 hours ago, Byrd said:

What sticks of RAM have you tried, is there cap leakage around the RAM socket itself?

There was no sign capacitors were even leaking when I first looked at it, its been ultrasonic cleaned as it had lots of dust. I have tried tons of sticks, have a rather big pile of 72-pin modules, even a tested working apple branded 8MB resulted in a death chime.

Edited by Jon183

8 hours ago, Jon183 said:

There was no sign capacitors were even leaking when I first looked at it, its been ultrasonic cleaned as it had lots of dust. I have tried tons of sticks, have a rather big pile of 72-pin modules, even a tested working apple branded 8MB resulted in a death chime.

Update: Reflowed all RAM slot joints using new solder and flux, still same result.