Sign in to follow this  
mattsoft

Possible Conquest: MacTable

Been looking for one of these for a while, and one showed up locally for $100. Thought I'd offer him $80 -- decent enough deal? Thought it would look nice with some Macs on it. The Scanco MacTable!

IMG_3810_l.jpg

oooh, good luck, these are real neat. If it's in good shape and everything, $80 seems like a good deal to me, but I haven't tracked the value on these things or anything.

The three panels on the front are interchangeable.  It's designed to fit perfectly a Macintosh II, IIci, or compact.  It also had options like a rollable LaserWriter cubby and matching filing cabinets.  It was designed by ScanCo in Denmark.

I ended up picking it up but it's in pretty bad shape. figured I'd rescue it from further harm.

the frame is solid, but the desk had been stored in a damp location and the melamine coated particle board has swollen a lot. gonna see if I can get replacement melamine from Home Depot and rebuild the desktop pieces. The desktop pieces are not interchangeable like I thought -- they are held to the frame with crappy hinges so they can adjust up and down, but they don't move around. I don't know if the hinges are original though, but they are needed for the desktop to be held in place. anyway, it needs lots of work and will be a fun project for sure. a little polyurethane goes a long way!

I also assumed they were a quick change.  I guess you have to dismantle it to move then panels around.  The one in the picture you linked to has them in the opposite direction.  Not very useful as a computer desk in that configuration. :)