Sign in to follow this  
olePigeon

Not a Mac, but very useful: IDC Crimp Tool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-AP-Products-IDC-ASSEMBLY-TOOL-925980-CRIMPER-TOOL-With-Die-925989-/133482374858

Got this for about $40.  It's an older (but looks very nice) IDC crimp tool with 3 dies.  I'll be able to crimp MFM cables, floppy cables, SCSI cables, 34 & 40 pin IDE cables, serial cables, etc. for both internal and external connections.  Dies for standard socket, edge connectors (really useful for old floppies!), and D-sub miniature.  I'm gonna keep a lookout for the centronics and dip socket dies, as those would also be very useful, too.

My local surplus has quite a large stock of various IDC connectors as well as spools of ribbon cable.  Should pay for itself in no time.

I still have a nice crimping kit for RJ45 Ethernet I purchased back in the 90's and still use all the time (came with a tester and a box for the crimper, cutter, and some rj45 ends).

I have a nice ratcheted RJ45/RJ15/RJ11 crimper as well.  I got it at WeirdStuff surplus for cheap.  I used it a lot when I worked at a different school campus, but my new work insists on buying molded ethernet cables.  I understand the paranoia, but, I did like crimping my own cables and using them.  Was pretty satisfying. :)

If I ever get my own house, I'll make PLENTY use of it wiring up ethernet and phonenet. :)

Customs lengths are why you need one. I like those snaggless boots for the end you can buy for cheap on ebay (all kinds of colors).