Sign in to follow this  
desertrout

Inductor values?

This more of a general component question, but I wasn't sure where to put it.  I've been poking around this portable board and schematics, just to get familiar with them, and also verifying traces to/from the SWIM, and noticed that none of the smaller inductors have any part numbers or values on them or in the schematics beyond indicating they're ferrite bead... do we know what they are or should be? For instance, the ones at L4 and L5 appear to act as filters on the +5V line that runs through the SWIM. I'm no electrical engineer - this is just a hobby for me, and not a serious one - so I was wondering if there's a way to determine what they are... knowing that it's not just inductance, but also current rating and saturation values that can matter.

... or is it determined more by package size? Does it matter?

Also, what does the '1' and '2' indicate?? These things aren't polarized, so... are they variable? Searches are coming up empty for me.

swim.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.30.14 AM.png

Edited by desertrout

OK... well, after some further research and chats it's been made clearer to me what a ferrite bead actually is as opposed to an inductor, properly speaking, the indication on the schematic does not help. 

In this case, it sounds like a standard 60-120 Ohm @ 100mHz bead in a same/similar sized package will do the job. If anyone has any specific knowledge, I'd love to hear it - as with the bypassing capacitors.