jwse30

Trying a Different Network Approach on My SE/30

So I have an SE/30 that has an Asante ethernet card in it and 32 Meg of RAM and a 1 Gig HD (a real SCSI drive that still works). Thisafternoon the last iece of the puzzle I needed to try out a localtalk to ethernet bridge option arrived in the mail. As I am typing this, I am moving 50 Meg of files from the SE/30 to my G4 tower using the ethernet port on my G4 and the printer port on my SE/30 with a phonenet adapter, a phone cord and a Farallon Etherwave bridge.

This setup works for smaller files from the G4 to the SE/30, but hanged when I tried to move this 50M package when I was trying to do it from the SE/30. So far it seems to work when the job was initiated t the G4. It is quite a bit slower than using the ethernet card.

Then why would I do this? Well, I have an SE FDHD that also has an Asante ethernet card in it. It has all 4M of ram, and a pretty large HD in it for an SE. I have an accelerator card by Total Systems that I have been wanting to get in there, but I didn't want to give up the networking to be able to do so. This option may work out, so I might be able to put that card in and see how it works.

It looks like there are better choices for the bridge than the one I have, but this is a start.  Fun stuff!

J White

Curious to know what your transfer rates look like? I posted a couple below you about my 512K connected to ethernet via a Shiva FastPath, and similarly I'm connecting to that bridge via phonenet. My transfer rate taps out at about 64kbps, but I'm using an older/slower system, and my bottleneck may lie elsewhere.

Edited by sutekh

I had the same issue with my LC III which has a IIe card in it.  I ended up going with an Asante EN/SC-10T SCSI to Ethernet converter which is much faster than my LocalTalk to Ethernet converter.

Your transfer rates are going to be about 200kbps (25KBps) with that phonenet adapter.

Have you considered just getting something like a Zip drive and copying them over that way?  Or are you a glutton for punishment?

19 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

Or are you a glutton for punishment?

Isn't that why we all use these archaic machines?

This is a painfully slow method of moving files, about 3 minutes a Mb. I guess it would still be faster than writing a Mb to a floppy and then loading the floppy into another machine. It's slow enough that the SE/30 is able to be used for light games while the transfer is happening, though it hanged when I tried to pay a second game of Spades.

I have a few options for sneaker net, but for moving a file or two, this will likely work good enough until I find the SCSI to ethernet bridge. I don't know for certain the accelerator works, so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this idea just yet. I figure this solution can also be used with my Plus and a Powerbook 165, possibly all at the same time if I get enough phonenet adapters.

J White

On 7/11/2020 at 3:01 AM, jwse30 said:

Isn't that why we all use these archaic machines?

This is a painfully slow method of moving files, about 3 minutes a Mb. I guess it would still be faster than writing a Mb to a floppy and then loading the floppy into another machine. It's slow enough that the SE/30 is able to be used for light games while the transfer is happening, though it hanged when I tried to pay a second game of Spades.

I have a few options for sneaker net, but for moving a file or two, this will likely work good enough until I find the SCSI to ethernet bridge. I don't know for certain the accelerator works, so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this idea just yet. I figure this solution can also be used with my Plus and a Powerbook 165, possibly all at the same time if I get enough phonenet adapters.

J White

If you have several machines, you may want to look into something like the Zip drive, or even Jaz.  Those are SCSI, are found fairly cheap, and work on any Pre-1996 Macintosh.  Even the Plus!

On 7/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, jwse30 said:

So I have an SE/30 that has an Asante ethernet card in it and 32 Meg of RAM and a 1 Gig HD (a real SCSI drive that still works). Thisafternoon the last iece of the puzzle I needed to try out a localtalk to ethernet bridge option arrived in the mail. As I am typing this, I am moving 50 Meg of files from the SE/30 to my G4 tower using the ethernet port on my G4 and the printer port on my SE/30 with a phonenet adapter, a phone cord and a Farallon Etherwave bridge.

This setup works for smaller files from the G4 to the SE/30, but hanged when I tried to move this 50M package when I was trying to do it from the SE/30. So far it seems to work when the job was initiated t the G4. It is quite a bit slower than using the ethernet card.

Then why would I do this? Well, I have an SE FDHD that also has an Asante ethernet card in it. It has all 4M of ram, and a pretty large HD in it for an SE. I have an accelerator card by Total Systems that I have been wanting to get in there, but I didn't want to give up the networking to be able to do so. This option may work out, so I might be able to put that card in and see how it works.

It looks like there are better choices for the bridge than the one I have, but this is a start.  Fun stuff!

J White

You have an SE/30 with an ethernet card in it and you want to transfer 50MB of file from a G4 to the SE/30, if I understand you correctly.

Why not use a hub or a crossover cable? Is there a problem with differing versions of AppleShare?

I don't understand why you need/want to use a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet-Bridge. Localtalk is sloooooow.

If you are going down the sneakernet route, Zip isn't bad, MO likewise, but you shouldn't overlook the external SCSI2SD (v5.5).

The link is here: https://store.inertialcomputing.com/category-s/100.htm.

I was just trying to get it to work, as I am going to try this setup in an SE that I am planning on using the PDS slot for an accelerator, so that means no ethernet card.

As for the SCSI2SD, I probably shouldn't jynx myself by saying this, but all my SCSI drives are working fine, so I will continue with them until that isn't the case. I am not opposed to them, just don't need one at the moment.

J White