PB145B

PowerBook 145B CAN run System 7.0.1

Not sure how many already know this, but Wikipedia is wrong. It states that 7.1 is the minimum it can run:

FF126D3F-8442-46B5-9AAA-646DC6AED9D3.thumb.jpeg.241055311a60412dddc6c3c8c97fac71.jpeg

Yes, it incorrectly reports as a 140 (well, that’s essentially what a 145B is, with some small changes), but It doesn’t seem to cause any trouble.

And yes, the picture is dark and terrible, but you can clearly see the screen.

All these years I thought it couldn’t run 7.0.1...

Edited by PB145B

Okay, I managed to successfully image it with DiskCopy on my PowerBook 170, and it does indeed run just fine on the 145B!

9072CBE2-9C89-4599-AF9E-F387CEC80753.thumb.jpeg.16fbafacefa830c4bb0c45309e3e6ebd.jpeg

Really crazy seeing System 6 on a PowerBook! Might format one of my spare drives and throw it on there just to see how it runs from a hard drive, though I still prefer System 7 on here, as it has more features, more software works with it and it supports 32-bit addressing.

I went ahead and installed 7.0.1 on the 145B’s hard drive, as the original 7.1 install had a few little issues and I already had it on floppies anyways. Runs great. Seems a tad but snappier than 7.1, but that may just be my imagination, or the fact that it’s a fresh install.

8 hours ago, Realitystorm said:

You can have both systems on the same drive and use system picker to choose between them.

https://www.savagetaylor.com/downloads

That’s pretty cool. That could come in handy for those machines where you’re having a hard time deciding which System version to use.

I think I like 7.1 a tiny bit better, because it has a Fonts folder, so one doesn't have to use special tricks to install fonts into the System file.

It's also slightly more compatible with 7.5-era applications and utilities, I find (the fact that pretty much all systems from 7.1.x to 7.5.5 used Finder 7.1.4 (or some variant thereof) might partially explain why).

c

I think they are both good.

I figured since 7.0.1 ran great on my PowerBook 170 I’d throw it on the 145B as well, since it actually can run it.