cheesestraws

Good & reasonable HDMI scaler: Extron RGB-HDMI 300(A)

Home sick today, so after mentioning this box last night in the Radius Pivot SE/30 BSOD thread i fiddled with it a bit. Can't get anything to display from the IIsi's built-in video, but I noticed something like a 75Hz setting while fiddling around in the onscreen menus, but not in PDF doc reading mood.

Macintosh IIsi

SuperMac Spec/8 SI

17 or 18 year old Olympus D-560 and terrible lighting conditions, but here's what I've got:

Fun pic shows 43" Toshiba 1080p .  .  .

Spec8SI-Portrait-Centered-42in1080p-03.thumb.JPG.baabc0fb1eb97ccdd625c3aa4d103925.JPG

.  .  .  and some tearing of some sort top & right.

Spec8SI-Portrait-Centered-42in1080p-00.thumb.JPG.eea6b81bd80d20cd7f23d099094d582e.JPG

Spec8SI-Portrait-Centered-42in1080p-01.thumb.JPG.0ed6d5cbd78806956c30644c5fc27bba.JPG

Spec8SI-Portrait-Centered-42in1080p-02.thumb.JPG.0754e77333ba6878750e6e7932c27524.JPG

The blank corners show, but there's a row or so of blank pixels above the menu bar that look much the same and tearout/whatever to the right. Once I hit the docs we;ll see what I can wring out of this cute lil' box. I had 1024x768 dialed in pretty well, but didn't think to document it. It's all going to depend on the portrait card's refresh rates I think. I've got Color Pivots for SE/30 and IIsi, but I need to fix my cable, oops!

This card appears to want to do a full two pages at 8-bit. But I only got this far with it. I wanted to concentrate on the Portrait/Pivot subject at hand.

Spec8SI-1152x870-Centered-42in1080p-02.thumb.JPG.501ff3b3374cdb17f640709958574c43.JPG

I think the banding here is from mismatched input/output settings. No problems apparent when I got 480x870 dialed in, looked like a clean gray background?

1152x870 I can just go ahead and test on the big 21" Radius CRT. [:D]

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I had everything half put away when I went back and read your instructions. Set everything up again and used the 'TOT PIXEL PHS' of 1456 you suggested and got to almost perfect, from this IIsi card no less! This is a vast improvement over the seat of the pants approach got me above. Desktop pattern is perfect with zero banding.

You're undoubtedly right about the inputs being video feed specific. There appear to also be adjustments for widths of front and back porches. With the proper scanline width set and properly divided as front porch + active area + back porch etc, I should be able to get the rounded corners set up correctly and hopefully fix the very slight tearout at the top.

Spec8SI-1152x870-Centered-42in1080p-03.thumb.JPG.a73e09f18e06d1f24e4e1fe1638f2483.JPG

This should work out very nicely for my SE/Radius TPD if this IIsi/SuperMac Spec/8 SI setup is any indication. We can probably nail down Portrait and Pivot scaling as well.

One day I'll read the docs, but not until I'm feeling better, playtime was just about right for today. :approve:

13 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

One day I'll read the docs, but not until I'm feeling better, playtime was just about right for today. :approve:

Yeah, it ... takes more fiddling-with than a PC-focussed scaler, but the results seem pretty nice.  I've been using it with my Q950's onboard video and it's been rock-solid.  The only thing I've had issues with with it so far are some of the weird older modes on my Acorns that are very low-resolution and have other weird and TV-like characteristics.  The documentation does have a table of PC modes and suggested settings for them, which is a good starting point.

The "beat" pattern you see is typical when you don't have the sampling phase and rate perfectly adjusted. All analog to digital video convertors (including the one in LCD panels) have this problem. Most have an "auto" button to set this, but many rely on standardized VESA modes to look up the optimal settings. The Mac's default checkerboard background is actually the best thing to have on screen when adjusting for the correct timings. You'll know when you get it right because the background becomes pixel perfect. The Acorn likely uses TV-RGB (240p or 252p for 50Hz modes)....those take trial and error since there wasn't one "standard" for horizontal pixel clocks on them.

9 hours ago, NJRoadfan said:

The "beat" pattern you see is typical when you don't have the sampling phase and rate perfectly adjusted

Yeah I certainly had to fiddle with the phase to make the background stop shimmering.  Did get it near-perfect, though.

9 hours ago, NJRoadfan said:

The Acorn likely uses TV-RGB (240p or 252p for 50Hz modes)....those take trial and error since there wasn't one "standard" for horizontal pixel clocks on them. 

Yup.  Fortunately you can tell them they're not talking to a TV-type monitor, and they get a lot better behaved :-)

I got the SuperMac Spec/8 SI dialed in about as perfectly as it gets. Tweaking the horizontal and vertical start points I've got rounded corners all around the clock. I think I got it saved as one of three user defaults. Gotta take pics before I tear it down and try to get the Radius TPD in the SE dialed in.

No joy on the SE/30 Pivot card in the IIsi. Gotta test it for function on one of the BigAss CRTs to verify that it's working, but no energy for that today. Old card might not be compatible with the 20MHz IIsi bus, some cards weren't. If so it'll be SE/30 testing one day.