mearnsv1

Powerbook 540c

Hi wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Powerbook 540c that was in full working order. Unfortunately the screen appears to have developed a fault.

I was using the machine under normal circumstances when the screen suddenly faded to white! You can hear the rest of the machine working fine but the screen is pure white with nothing displayed.

Anyone know what part I need or how to fix this problem?

Thanks

That sounds like one of the cables connecting to the screen has come loose - mine does the same, and pressing on the bezel under the screen (left and right of the microphone hole) fixes it.

My PowerBook had the same problem .. the solution that I use

was open and remove the screen and reaffirm the cable to the

screen, at least I have not had more problems after

that

Be really careful when you unclip the screen bezel under the LCD; the tabs snap off really easily. Use a wide thin Phillips screwdriver to gently push on the tabs and lift the bezel up with your fingers. Hopefully that's where you'll find a loose connector, of which there are a few.

Getting to the motherboard's screen connector is more difficult, as you have to remove the top bezel. This involves unscrewing all the screws on the base (don't forget two screws hidden under the push-out feet), two near the ports, and one on the hard disk caddy/floppy drive casing.

(Yes I pulled apart three PB5x0s on the weekend) :)

JB

That sounds like one of the cables connecting to the screen has come loose - mine does the same, and pressing on the bezel under the screen (left and right of the microphone hole) fixes it.

Thanks everyone. This fixed it!

javascript:emoticon(':beige:')

pulling apart 500 series books is fun! :D

what a mess

did put together one ultimate 540c with the best parts from four 500 series books :D

pulling apart 500 series books is fun! :D

what a mess

did put together one ultimate 540c with the best parts from four 500 series books :D

I haven't tried to pull apart my Powerbook 180... I'm worried I'll break it or something. :-/