K55

RaSCSI Development Thread

14 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

Nice!  It would be awesome to have Ethernet functionality too.

The fun thing here is because it's a tap interface, you can run other software on the r-pi directly plugged into that "network".  So, for example, you could bridge the tap interface to a wireless interface and add a bit of code to configure the wireless either through a web UI or by broadcasting the SSIDs you can see via NBP and writing a little Chooser extension to switch between them (which I think is probably the most System 7-idiomatic way of doing it)

Making some progress on Ethernet support! Its turning out to be much more complex than I originally hoped. The original RaSCSI code didn't have "Reselection" capability, which the Nuvolink SC uses. RaSCSI was developed assuming that the host would ALWAYS initiate the communication. That doesn't work well if you're receiving network packets and need to push them to the host. 

Also - I put up a handful more RaSCSIs on Tindie, for folks who are waiting for one. There's only one left, but I should have more in a couple weeks.

Also - join us on Discord if you want to talk more about RaSCSI! https://discord.gg/PyS58u6

14 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

They're back in stock!!!

https://www.tindie.com/products/landogriffin/rascsi-macintosh-version/

Promo code for my 68kmla buddies through Sunday: THEYREBACK for $10 off.

Excellent news! And to celebrate, I'm going to attempt to solder one of these together. Live. In front of people. What could possibly go wrong?

Details here: 

Edited by PotatoFi

11 hours ago, Endsjustify said:

It’s an easy and fun build of an endlessly useful tool. I can’t suggest Picking this kit up enough. I’ve used mine almost every day since build.

So glad to hear that!! I would love to see some action shots to see how people are using it!

My hubby made a IIci style box for my Pi zero Rascsi!

AB6715F4-7079-405C-AAB4-604331E2B5E7.jpeg

1FDF2026-4321-4AB5-810B-66A623279D09.jpeg

I'd have to say, I think @PotatoFi's video (I wasn't on the livestream) is pretty good to watch for those of us who question our soldering skills... I guess I'm actually not too bad for a novice myself after all.  Otherwise, yeah, with the length and all, sort of a waste of time to watch the whole thing, but hey, PotatoFi had to go through all of that time one way or another.

16 hours ago, quorten said:

I'd have to say, I think @PotatoFi's video (I wasn't on the livestream) is pretty good to watch for those of us who question our soldering skills... I guess I'm actually not too bad for a novice myself after all.  Otherwise, yeah, with the length and all, sort of a waste of time to watch the whole thing, but hey, PotatoFi had to go through all of that time one way or another.

It was intended to be more about "hang out" time than an instructional video. I personally can't watch recorded live streams after the fact - something about watching it happen live is entertaining, but when it's done, I'm just not interested.

And if I can solder one of those up, anybody can!

16 hours ago, PotatoFi said:

It was intended to be more about "hang out" time than an instructional video.

Yeah, really, I agree... I figured it would be a good idea to find out what the hangout time was like after the fact since I missed it live.

Edited by quorten

A couple comments about a post that @Byte Knight made in the MacSD thread.... 

I've got a RaSCSI too ..... but it's nice not having to wait for the Pi to boot up before you turn your computer on....

If you don't have any other bootable drives installed, the Mac will wait for RaSCSI to boot up. So, you might see a flashing question mark for 10-20 seconds. But, the Mac should boot once RaSCSI starts up.

and it's also nice to be able to hook up an HD activity light.

RaSCSI has that too. I didn't get around to testing it until a few days ago, so I hadn't been advertising it. Next to the ACT/ENB LEDs there are two holes for a header.  You can hook up an external LED with a little dab of solder and  a couple header pins. (They could go on the top OR bottom - doesn't really matter)

image.png.2a19342e9ea2529f617449e81c9e10c0.png

17 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

If you don't have any other bootable drives installed, the Mac will wait for RaSCSI to boot up. So, you might see a flashing question mark for 10-20 seconds. But, the Mac should boot once RaSCSI starts up.

17 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

RaSCSI has that too. I didn't get around to testing it until a few days ago, so I hadn't been advertising it. Next to the ACT/ENB LEDs there are two holes for a header.  You can hook up an external LED with a little dab of solder and  a couple header pins. (They could go on the top OR bottom - doesn't really matter)

I stand corrected - thanks for clarifying!