mactjaap

MacIPpi - Surf the Internet on your old Macintosh with TCP/IP over LocalTalk

CUPS runs fine in any Linux distro. Netatalk's PAP server needs patches to work with modern versions of CUPS among other fixes if you plan on using something other then the LaserWriter 8.x driver. Once it is working, its far easier to setup on the Mac side of things vs. LPR (which is now disabled out of the box on modern Linux distros).

yes, I have it running now on another Pi. Works great and serves my Brother color laser to our iPhones, iPads etc. I was just wondering if it will be visible to the vintage systems on LocalTalk. Sounds like maybe not without patches. In any case, probably a better topic for another post.

Update:

Today I received the AsanteTalk. After hacking together a PhoneNet Terminator, I connected it to my LAN and to the Mac SE/30. I already have the Pi running and connected elsewhere in the house.

I was immediately able to connect to the shared folder from the old Mac. I have not tried TCP/IP yet but with the file sharing I can now load MacTCP and anything else. Is there something in particular that I should load/try that will be the best test of this setup? SO FAR SO GOOD!

Hit a snag with my SE/30. While loading and patching MacTCP and transferring some other utilities via MacIPpi, the screen started to shimmer and then flipped on black vertical bars! I have Jailhouse Mac unfortunately. This has nothing to do with the Pi software/localtalk setup. I recapped the logic board a couple weeks ago, but have been stricken with sound issues and now this. I only mention it here because I am prepping a new post in another forum seeking advice while I wait for desoldering alloy I ordered to arrive. I plan to remove, clean and reattach the ASC, but I have other problems with the video to diagnose now, so it may be a while before I can really put the Pi through some TCP bridging tests, as it is just too hard to read the dialog boxes for setting IP, gateway, dns, etc.

Ok. I will be working on my beta. So take your time. If you want to use your Macintosh with TCP/IP do it like this:

You set your Mac with MacTCP on f.i. 172.16.2.2 (anything between 172.16.2.2 and 254, subnet mask 255.255.255.0), as gateway 172.16.2.1 and DNS 8.8.8.8. Or do the same with a TCP/IP control panel, but then choose Connect via: AppleTalk (MacIP) and configure:Using MacIP manually. Same IP information.

Thanks! I had JUST copied that same block instructions into a text file, went over to my workbench to setup MacTCP when the display flaked out on me. I am really looking forward to setting this up, but consider just the Pi bridging with file share a major win as I had no other way to move stuff to the SE! So, thanks for that much so far!