About Trash80toHP_Mini

• Rank
    NIGHT STALKER

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

3445 profile views
  1. Trash80toHP_Mini

Need soldering help, likely damaged board :(

Glad you got it all worked out as it were! @joshc know of any good youboobtube vids on using a vacuum desoldering station/gun? Mine's a knockoff, couldn't afford the real deal, but I'd bet they're made to a far higher standard in the same place anyway.
  2. Trash80toHP_Mini

Good & reasonable HDMI scaler: Extron RGB-HDMI 300(A)

I had everything half put away when I went back and read your instructions. Set everything up again and used the 'TOT PIXEL PHS' of 1456 you suggested and got to almost perfect, from this IIsi card no less! This is a vast improvement over the seat of the pants approach got me above. Desktop pattern is perfect with zero banding. You're undoubtedly right about the inputs being video feed specific. There appear to also be adjustments for widths of front and back porches. With the proper scanline width set and properly divided as front porch + active area + back porch etc, I should be able to get the rounded corners set up correctly and hopefully fix the very slight tearout at the top. This should work out very nicely for my SE/Radius TPD if this IIsi/SuperMac Spec/8 SI setup is any indication. We can probably nail down Portrait and Pivot scaling as well. One day I'll read the docs, but not until I'm feeling better, playtime was just about right for today.
  3. Trash80toHP_Mini

My screen is blue (Radius Pivot SE/30)

Glad to see the BSOD died away and went to pure grayscale, nice job. I fiddled a bit with that scaler today:
  4. Trash80toHP_Mini

Good & reasonable HDMI scaler: Extron RGB-HDMI 300(A)

Home sick today, so after mentioning this box last night in the Radius Pivot SE/30 BSOD thread i fiddled with it a bit. Can't get anything to display from the IIsi's built-in video, but I noticed something like a 75Hz setting while fiddling around in the onscreen menus, but not in PDF doc reading mood. Macintosh IIsi SuperMac Spec/8 SI 17 or 18 year old Olympus D-560 and terrible lighting conditions, but here's what I've got: Fun pic shows 43" Toshiba 1080p . . . . . . and some tearing of some sort top & right. The blank corners show, but there's a row or so of blank pixels above the menu bar that look much the same and tearout/whatever to the right. Once I hit the docs we;ll see what I can wring out of this cute lil' box. I had 1024x768 dialed in pretty well, but didn't think to document it. It's all going to depend on the portrait card's refresh rates I think. I've got Color Pivots for SE/30 and IIsi, but I need to fix my cable, oops! This card appears to want to do a full two pages at 8-bit. But I only got this far with it. I wanted to concentrate on the Portrait/Pivot subject at hand. I think the banding here is from mismatched input/output settings. No problems apparent when I got 480x870 dialed in, looked like a clean gray background? 1152x870 I can just go ahead and test on the big 21" Radius CRT.
  5. Trash80toHP_Mini

My screen is blue (Radius Pivot SE/30)

Haven't tried it yet, but I'll put at least a sawbuck down on the bet that it'll eliminate Portrait/FPD stretch.
  6. Trash80toHP_Mini

Made ROM SIMMs, wrote ROMdisk driver, need help debugging

Are you ordering full thickness PCBs? I'd assume so, but thought it better to ask than not.
  7. Trash80toHP_Mini

Radius System 81/110

I'd ask at least 2-3 times as much as the last PowerMac 8100/110 sold for at auction on eBay. Most folks aren't even aware of the differences that make it so much better a machine, especially these days.. There's absolutely no comparison between that big metal can with DA-15 from Radius vs. Apple's disintegrating plastics with that craptastic x100 series video connector requiring a DA-15 adapter cable hanging off the back. The Radius 81/110 is more expandable, having room at the bottom of the big can for an HPV card cabled up to a G3 in its PDS while retaining use of all three NuBus slots at the same time. Apple's 8100 (and 7100) must sacrifice a NuBus Slot to HPV Card Adapters, no dice there. Tried to work out the same kind of HPV installation in an Apple box, but there's just no room for it.
  8. I know, I know! Running the board at 20MHz will break video and FDD support, but neither are required for this project. FDD vanishes Video ROM pulled 33MHz 030 in hand for my socketed board Can anyone think of any other impediments to crankin' it up for intermittent testing at 20MHz offhand?
  9. Trash80toHP_Mini

Macintosh SE/30 Schematics (modernization effort)

Are the postscript paths and text exported into the PDFs from KiCAD or are they mere bitmap exports. If the former it's a piece of cake for me in AI, if the latter I may still be able to do it, but what a PITA!
  10. The 1988 revision jibes with development of the SE/30 which shipped January 19, 1989. SE/30's new chassis with provision for vertical PDS expansion was adopted for late SE production. Have you seen an early SE/30 with tabs on both sides? By 1988, SE upgrades were all but standard equipment, they were far larger than Apple's spec for board size and pushed the vertical limit for installation. Directions for products as early as the Radius16 specified the "pry the sides of the chassis apart method" of installation. So I wonder if they slotted the 1988 revision SE board on both sides to ease expansion, putting less compression and flexion stress on chassis and motherboard? With its vertical expansion slot, the SE/30 didn't have any pressing need for cutouts on both sides, but I'm curious if any did?
  11. Trash80toHP_Mini

Yep, saw that one and it too is fab. I was thinking about a side to side scrolling single page with connections continuous across what are now discrete pages with tagged connections. That's what I did on paper using prints of the IIsi schematic. I could trace my way across the folded map, following traces from section to section from one end to the other. If you can't do it easily in your PCB package, I can probably do it from your PDF pages in Illustrator, or someone else might pick up the gauntlet?
  12. Trash80toHP_Mini

Unbelievable work! Have you thought of making a fully connected, single scrolling page by melding your individual pages?
  13. Forgot to mention that LCs are Slot Manager era tech, implemented or not. SE's not a Slot Manager implementation AFAIK with no provision to handle additional cards in its architecture. Best case would be accelerators hooked up to VidCards AFAIK. Multiple slot LC expansion chassis implementations appear to be good for a combination of a couple of non-competing expansion cards or for turning cards on and off individually IIRC.
  14. Only ground, no power plane? That seems odd to me in a multilayer PCB. I was under the impressions that layers were the sum of bonded, two sided pairs: 2-4-6-8 etc. LCIII PDS has more than one (maybe all three?) Interrupts/Slot IDs in its pinout, but in every case they're tagged with: Not used in the LCxx. That suggests a ROM limitation to me.
  15. Nope, just a link to an IEE Spectrum article on Ptychographic X-ray laminography. There must be some service bureau type place capable of using much older X-Ray tech on a bared SE/30 board? However I much prefer your build it back up in improved form from reverse engineered schematics than the 1:1 copy approach. But by far I'm no purist here as so many are. It takes a menagerie.