Rajel

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

353 profile views
  1. I've had pretty good luck with "industrial" cards, Sandisk usually. I think the adapter may make a difference though, I've had luck with some but not others on the 190cs. PCMCIA always worked consistently though. Hasn't been as picky as the the HP 100LX for sure lol There's some games that would benefit from the FPU, and would be *very* playable with a decent active matrix LCD panel.
  2. Rajel

Powerbook 160 LCD woes

There are a couple of those on mine, and then a 33 and 47uF electrolytic: They've since been replaced with MLCC equivalents.
  3. Rajel

Powerbook 160 LCD woes

It's absolutely absurd. Old electronics? A FORTUNE ON EBAY
  4. Rajel

Powerbook 160 LCD woes

although uuuuuuuugh recapping that LCD was a pain the first time, maybe I'll just swap the 0705 from a donor and see if it works first :P
  5. Rajel

Powerbook 160 LCD woes

Ah, that's true about the battery. This one also suffered that battery issue, I did forget about that small detail. I dd see the 190cs restore! Definitely looking at that screen upgrade for mine, and it absolutely needs the caps replaced as stormy did. That's gonna be my next big project I think, just need to work out what caps/footprint are needed since I'm less familiar with typical SMD component sizes, most I've worked with aren't quite that large, heh. Thanks for the reminder about the battery. This is definitely encouraging, thank you!
  6. Wow, what a restoration! I've been meaning to recap my 190CS as well. Do you happen to have part numbers or spec for the caps still, by chance? And wow the active matrix screen upgrade is glorious, I must do that to mine as well. Have you looked into upgrading the CPU to a full 68040? I know of someone that tried it but it seemed they had trouble finding a legit one, or getting the FPU to function when they had one that did identify as a 68040 instead of an LC040. I've had pretty good luck with a CF-IDE adapter with mine so far, and have been trying to use an IDE->MSATA SSD adapter, which works!... for a little bit until it gets warm, and then I think the old capacitors have had enough and the machine crashes, with no more booting until it's cooled down. CompactFlash solutions are definitely cooler, though the SSD itself seemed faster.
  7. Rajel

Powerbook 160 LCD woes

So, the screen on my PB160 has generally kicked it. I'd already replaced the capacitors around the LCD and video quality had been as good as it gets for the 160 for some time. I come down to find the screen black one morning. From what I can tell, from some disassembly and recapping the inverter, is that the inverter caps leaked, and ended up shorting the DC/DC convertor module on the LCD PCB itself. The module burned, partially to ash. All other function of the machine seems fine, it boots up, and definitely gets to a desktop (I hear it yell at me for not shutting it down properly). I can't find *any* solid reference to the TDK CE-0705 DC/DC module online, even in TDK's parts catalog (there's an 0703 that's similar). Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the CE-0705, or failing that... what other screens are suitable replacements for a PB160? I'm extremely hesitant to buy "parts" systems on eBay at eBay prices, especially if they can't show working display because this is a literal time bomb on original caps, and it's very likely that "dead" units may have screens with the same issue or worse. I know this is not really the best PB of the series but I sort of have some sentimental attachment to it. I'd rather not gut a working system for it if I can help it though. Any ideas?
  8. Rajel

Can you identify this PB Card?

Definitely a RAM card, not sure what for. My PB 190cs uses a similar one, but with only a single connector.
  9. Yeah, that's an issue with CF cards. Great for read-only systems, but otherwise tend to bork after awhile. SD cards seem to do it a bit less, but I've still had some trouble. I wish there was an easier way to pull the cards out of the machines for imaging, I'd love to just be able to pop the SD out of my PB160, dump it to a file every now and then and pop it back in.
  10. Rajel

Powerbook 145b corrosion repair

Is the battery alkaline on these? If so, I use a weak vinegar solution to remove the corrosion, and follow with a weak baking soda solution to neutralize the acid. I've been able resurrect smaller devices like Game Gears with this method, along with recapping of course. And yeah, the screen issue is almost definitely the LCD/inverter caps leaking like mad. Replace those ASAP. A good rule on old machines like this though - replace every electrolytic capacitor you can find. I've gotta do my 160 and 190cs both - the 160's already had the screen caps replaced and it did improve image quality overall significantly. There's still a little vertical ghosting, but that's the nature of these passive matrix LCDs.
  11. I wouldn't think 2GB would be an issue, I run 2GB partitions on my 160 and 190cs without trouble. HFSExplorer, combined with BasiliskII (it's included) might work to get you a minimal boot setup written to a floppy. I've used that in Windows with a USB floppy drive and it worked like a champ.
  12. Rajel

Warning PB180C Owners!!

It contributes quite a bit to it, yes. The caps in my 160's display were leaking badly, swapping them helped clear the image up significantly.
  13. Rajel

Dynamac Smokin!

Oh jeez, just looking at that and thinking about recapping it makes me cringe, and I've got a decent setup for it. Bent pins on the other side of the through-hole, and traces on both sides are such a pain. I almost hosed my NES PPU mod due to crap like that, there's 4 pins that connect to a thermally-massive ground plane, and they're soldered on both top and bottom.
  14. The 140, 145, and 160 don't have this issue, just the leaky capacitors that need to be replaced. Image quality overall on those is quite a bit lower than the active screens, though. I'd love an active matrix screen on my 160. I've seen some use various sealants to re-seal the screens after drying, but don't know offhand unfortunately. If you search around the forums, this is not an uncommon discussion, and I'm sure someone has mentioned what sealant they used.
  15. So the screens that really suffer from this are the active matrix screens. They're not well-sealed, so moisture gets in and causes the vignetting. Caps around the screen definitely do need to be replaced, they're likely leaking. Not really a cause of the vignetting, but it may cause other issues (and a dead screen). CCFL failure would look kind of the opposite, light on the edges and dark in the center. Some people bake the screens on a low heat to evaporate the trapped moisture, and then re-seal the screens. You can use rice, or silica balls as a dessicant, or any other atmospheric dessicant in a small sealed box with the screen, and check it after a few days or so. Passive Matrix LCDs don't suffer from this issue, but they also aren't anywhere near the quality of the active-matrix models.