5 Followers

About Daniël Oosterhuis

Profile Information

Profile Fields

• OCCUPATION
    Tech&Music

Recent Profile Visitors

2010 profile views
  1. It seems like homebrew Atari Jaguar development tools, compiled for the long dead Windows RT platform. I already reported it as it seems like this just has no place on 68kMLA.
  2. Daniël Oosterhuis

Arduino SCSI device - Work in Progress

Just a heads up, could you remove the full quote from your post? Having the entire post with all of the pictures quoted just to add to a two sentence reply is just a massive pain to scroll past.
  3. Daniël Oosterhuis

Doom on SoftPC on an SE/30?

Yeah, the box does mention it's optimized for PowerPC hardware, and it sure feels that way. But it shows how badly optimized the port is for the 68k platform, given on the PC side, Wolf3D ran fine on 386 class machines. I know comparing 68k and x86 CPUs is not an apples to apples comparison (pun not intended), but you'd figure an optimized port would run better on 040s, if not fast 030s.
  4. Daniël Oosterhuis

Doom on SoftPC on an SE/30?

It's a fairly unoptimized port in my experience. Both Wolf3D and Doom seem to need far more powerful hardware on the Mac, than compared to PC. Doom even edges towards needing a PPC for good performance, and Wolf3D at least a fast '030, though I find it still struggles a bit on an '040. That said, emulating the PC port won't help much, I'm afraid. The only real solution would simply be a new, more optimized port, and the 68k Mac platform is probably too niche to receive such attention from Wolf3D/Doom community port programmers.
  5. Daniël Oosterhuis

Arduino SCSI device - Work in Progress

Consider me interested, the more SCSI options, the better, especially if it can be made more affordable for the Macs that won't fully utilize the speed offered by other solutions anyways. What I'd also be interested in, is whether a PowerBook specific board could be made, to accommodate the smaller pinheader, and HDD mounting inside the PBs. It certainly looks small enough to fit within the space of a 2.5" SCSI HDD drive.
  6. Daniël Oosterhuis

Mac IIvx - No Boot

Has it been recapped and thoroughly cleaned? I know from experience that these machines will fail to start up if capacitor leakage is present on the logic board, particularly around the EGRET chip (behind the PDS Slot, there is silkscreening to its right denoting it as EGRET). If this hasn't happened yet, it needs to happen sooner than later to prevent further damage from the leaked electrolyte fluid, which is corrosive and will damage chip/component legs and traces if left untreated.
  7. Daniël Oosterhuis

PowerTower Pro: ATA CF Slowness

Most noname SiI3112 cards cannot be flashed with the full ROM as is. It isn't the chipset that holds the ROM, it's a dedicated ROM chip. And on most of these cards, this is a 1 Megabit chip. The problem is that the Wiebetech ROM floating around that does fit on these, only is meant for OS X. Classic Mac OS/System Software will not work with this firmware. The full SeriTek Firmtek firmware requires a 4 Megabit ROM chip, and even has checks that will ensure it only works on AM29LV040, MX29LV040, or PM39LV040 ROM chips. Any other 4 Megabit chip will fail the check, and the card will not work. Another consideration, is that these LV chips are "low voltage", meaning they run at 3.3V instead of 5V. The card must run the ROM chip at 3.3V, or the replacement LV040 will die. Some will have jumpers, some will have resistors or solder pads, and with some it's just whatever it came with. All in all, it's best to just buy one of the preflashed SiI3112 cards that are occasionally available on eBay if you're not comfortable desoldering and soldering PLCC ROM chips.
  8. Daniël Oosterhuis

Sony PVM-14N5U

I have a 20N5E that I've intended to RGB mod, but never got to. I believe the front panel buttons are just plastic pieces that push against standard microswitches. So you could just make your own hole for a switch, or if you don't want a different looking button on the front, have the RGB button on the back. There's essentially a resistor or two, which depending on whether it's installed or not, will signal the microcontroller to enable or disable the RGB features, given the PCBs for the N5, N6 and SSM-14N5/20N5 (composite only CCTV model, in a pretty white color) are all the same.
  9. Daniël Oosterhuis

Sony PVM-14N5U

The PVM-14N5 and PVM-20N5 can be modded into PVM-14N6 and PVM-20N6 models. If you look at the service manual for these models, you can find what parts the RGB enabled 6 models have that the non-RGB 5 models don't. Installing these, as well as making hole in the back for the connectors, can give you RGB if you want it.
  10. Daniël Oosterhuis

Eric's conquests

I have done it before on a Quicksilver, though running on a Linux server install with mgetty:
  11. Daniël Oosterhuis

Dumpster-dived Motorola StarMax 4000!

Nice find! Yes, a 740 would point to it having a G3 card. Just curious, what color is the heatsink on the card in the cache slot?
  12. I have never heard of this, and cannot find any sources to confirm this either. Are you sure this is the case? The slogan was used in several languages, which did not keep the English "next", nor is it written as NeXT. I very much doubt it is a reference to Steve Jobs' NeXT.
  13. Daniël Oosterhuis

Performa 575 motherboard in 550 case?

Should work fine. The CPU doesn't matter, the edge connector pinout does. They are compatible between the 5xx line, Macintosh TV, and Color Classics to a degree (CC needs a mod to deal with the higher video resolution). A 5xx to 5xx swap should be straight forward. The only exception is the LC580, this was a late 68k that uses the later 6xx style edge connector, and IDE instead of SCSI for the hard drive.
  14. Daniël Oosterhuis

scsi voodoo on a quadra 700 with an 80 pin hd

Yeah, I misunderstood it. I should have specified that the drive I was using is an NP model of Fujitsu U160 SCA drive, that does have the jumper for Narrow mode. Am I correct to assume that my SCA U320 drives that aren't recognized in the same setup, and don't have the narrow mode jumper setting, would work in a narrow bus Mac with the upper bits properly terminated? @max1zzz's thread on terminating the adapters does have an example on terminating the upper bits on one of these adapters, if I recall correctly, so I might need to try that and see if my 72GB drives would work on Macs then.
  15. Daniël Oosterhuis

scsi voodoo on a quadra 700 with an 80 pin hd

It does seem like maybe drives that won't necessarily deal with the Narrow SCSI Bus, might do so out of termination related problems. I have two 72GB U320 drives that don't have a jumper for Narrow Mode, and those won't work at all. The thread I linked does also have a mod to do the termination for the full SCA80 connector data lines if necessary, I'm probably going to try that on one of the adapters I have to see if that makes the 72GB drives work.