• Last visited

About sstaylor

• Birthday 03/25/1964

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

847 profile views
  1. sstaylor

Mac Plus or Mac SE?

The Dead Mac Scrolls, which is available out there on the 'tubes as a PDF, shows pictures of common faults and their repairs for the Plus and SE. It's a great resource. https://vintageapple.org/macbooks/pdf/The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls_1992.pdf
  2. sstaylor

Jessenator's conquests

Ha! I was looking at that ad an hour ago. I wasn't too interested in the 7200, but hmmm that monitor and keyboard... Congratulations, looks like a nice score!
  3. sstaylor

Mac Plus 3.5" drive with iigs

Wow, I'm really surprised that any USB drive could write 800K disks. Good to know.
  4. sstaylor

eBay IIci WTF

Hope it didn't kill the cache card or the logic board!
  5. If you have a dvd burner, you can download a disk image from Macintosh Garden and burn a copy. They have images of the retail disk and might have an image of the original disk for your iMac/PowerMac G5.
  6. Maybe the gear was designed to be the first to break as sort of a "fuse"; if too much torque was applied or if something else went wrong, that particular gear would give way and spare all the other gears. I'm probably giving too much benefit of the doubt or credit for being far-sighted but who knows.
  7. I'm guessing you may be trying to install from the installer disk for another computer, maybe a PowerMac G5 or a Mac Mini or something. You're going to want a retail Leopard disk. I understand there are ways of modifying an image of your disk to allow it to install but it's easier to just get the retail disk.
  8. I would guess that your monitor is desperately out of adjustment; it looks like the electron guns are far out of alignment. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it seems like they are adjusted on the neck of the crt which is really difficult. It might adjust by way of pots on the inside which is somewhat easier but still tough. There are copies of the service manual around and you might check one of those for instructions.
  9. sstaylor

AlphaSmart connected to iPhone for macro control.

Very neat. I love the old AlphaSmarts. Fun YouTube series.
  10. sstaylor

Configure MacTCP?

You'll have to let us know what the secret sauce was. It's funny, I had been reading through this nearly year-old thread just as you posted.
  11. sstaylor

ADB to Macintosh Plus Keyboard cable mod?

I wish I could, but count me among the dummies. Sorry.
  12. sstaylor

ADB to Macintosh Plus Keyboard cable mod?

Here's a link to a project to hook up an adb or ps/2 keyboard to a plus: http://synack.net/~bbraun/mackbd/ And some discussion:
  13. sstaylor

Macintosh Plus Startup Issues

It's probably worth looking at the drive. All the (former) lubricants are probably now more like glue.
  14. sstaylor

macintosh se blinking icon

I wouldn't be at all confident that a proper high-density floppy drive upgrade has been performed with proper ROMs and SWIM chip. Seems more likely that it's a frankenmac assembled from whatever was lying around. But maybe I'm just cynical.
  15. sstaylor

The biggest haul I’ve ever made.

Some of those sales and training CDs and DVDs can be cool. Lots of product photography, line art, typefaces, presentations, brochures, that sort of thing. I've seen some with radio ads. It's been a long time since I've seen one though, so who knows?