• Last visited

5 Followers

About aplmak

• Birthday 03/11/1975

Profile Information

• Interests
    Computers

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. aplmak

Connor Mac Portable 3045 40MB Drives

I haven’t messed with the platters really.. a few times I used denatured alcohol or 90% rubbing alcohol to clean some stuff on the top plate and it didn’t affect anything. But taking them apart will be tricky. You have to make sure the heads do not touch each other. It’s a big risk but you have nothing to loose if it’s not working I guess. As I’ve said I’ve removed goo and the gooed filter successfully.. and silicone sealed top and bottom. I have a few working drives but bad boards on them.
  2. aplmak

You mean open up the actual drive? I'd check for signs of goo around the top and bottom cover... If there is a good gasket inbetween you should see a black rubber gasket by pressing your fingernail. If not it's probably turned to goo. I carefully replace top and bottom (don't forget to remove round warranty stickers first). then separate the drives. Take a peek inside. If the head assembly has rubber bumpers on it just forget it.. or if you can get a replacement with clear bumpers you should be ok. Next is to clean all around the edges with a q-tip careful not to get any goo on the platters. If you see any goo on the platters anywhere just forget it. Don't forget to remove the little white filter if it is full with goo. You need to thoroughly clean the goo all around the indentation of the top and bottom halves. I do it over and over again with qtips and denatured alcohol. And up until you see no more goo anywhere. Like I said I have 3 good drives but without controller boards as I have no extra and there are issues with the ones I have a pile of.. Only Techknight could probably figure out what "chip" is bad on them. I am suspecting it is a result of starting a portable with failed capacitors and it sending back bad voltage or something which destroys a chip of somekind... Oh and if you successfully do this you should silicone the top and bottom halves so no dust and air can get in. It also helps with the heads moving properly across the platters.. the force of the air contained keeps them from touching the platters in some cases I believe. So letting no air in is really good practice..
  3. Anyone familiar on where to purchase the "gooed" rubber bumpers or feet for the duo series? I did find some a while back that pretty much worked but they were black in color. Would be nice to get grey similar replacements... Any assistance greatly appreciated... Have a great weekend! Matt
  4. aplmak

The boards do different things.. sometimes you can hear the heads scan initially then no boot. No smoke, no fire, no burnt parts on the boards at all. They appear to be in good shape on the outside.
  5. aplmak

Techknight it’s the boards that aren’t working.. if I take a board from a working drive they are fine. I have no idea what’s gone on all these boards.. I’ve stuck a regular envelope between the boards and the drive each one.. each do strange things.. but don’t boot. Again a board from a working drive just fine...
  6. aplmak

Opening Powerbook adapter

This is how I do it.. I crack the two sides by pressing in hard.. if it’s a real old dried one it will crack and break.. but this one in the pic no. I pry from the bottom with small screwdriver.. most of the time I do it so you can’t see any marks but you can here.. but they are on the bottom which is not usually in view.. this one is done and re super glued all around. It takes patience and a knack.. but can be done!
  7. aplmak

SCSI2SSD for Macintosh Portable?

As techknight said YOU MUST recap! Even keeping the old ones on perhaps still ooozing electrolytic fluid is bad!! I feel like here on 68k we get the same questions on Mac Portables about recapping.. Techknight is the portable EXPERT! He knows every chip, every trace!! He’s worked on enough of my damaged boards over the years!! As well as countless others. Your museum quality machine will have eroded and destroyed areas on it. Best first if you can’t find someone to recap is place it in the bathtub (the logic board) and with a toothbrush scrub it lightly down with denatured alcohol or 91% rubbbing alcohol. This will remove electrolytic residue and shortly stop the rotting process. DO NOT power up that machine until recapped!
  8. It was the stupid Master/Slave jumper! So I put the jumper on Master and bent it all the way down. Had to squeeze it in the hdd caddy but it’s screwed in and WORKS!!!!
  9. Ok here’s one for ya’ll. Wallstreet 333 MHz I replaced with a Trancend 32gb IDE ssd. Formatted fine with Apple HD drive setup. Installed OS 9.2.2 perfectly. Drive appears on desktop with all files. Mind you I did this via a bootable PCMCIA 32gb card. Now will not boot PCMCIA card out of course.. CD ROM unresponsive to eject. So fine I throw a 4gb ide back in it! Booted fine! CD operates fine.. I mean what the heck?????? Any Ideas???
  10. aplmak

I’m just surprised.. because even when that foam was new I can’t see a solder lead not piercing through it.. now if it was plastic that would make sense.
  11. aplmak

Ok so here’s some photos.. the three drives work I just need working boards.. And also the silicone seal I use when they are all cleaned.. also is a picture of a bad head magnet! The black bumpers always turn gooey and sticky.. you can also see the magnets flaking..
  12. aplmak

I’ve used a paint brush and the foam just comes right off easily..
  13. aplmak

Hmmmm I have several drives with absolutely no foam. And are working normal. Aren’t the metal standoff’s long enough to clear the bottom of the drive?? I’ll have to check that out.. The other question about fixing the goo is a lot of patience and to be very careful. As long as the goo hasn’t hit the heads or the platters yet. I use a qtip and go around and around the edging.. and then use qtips with 90% alcohol to thoroughly clean. There are two tricky spots where you get close to the platter. Also if you have a drive with black head bumpers that has to be removed and thrown out. You can only use the ones with the clear bumpers. I’ve also seen where the goo or chemical reaction lifts the coating off the magnets for the heads and flakes.. it will stop the head from moving.. and you certainly don’t want flakes flying around inside. Not all can be saved but some can!! I keep bad ones for parts like the bumpers or boards. Everyone can say replace it with SSD... but some collectors like original parts. Of course dont forget to clean the cover edges.. and remove the little filter if it’s got goo in it.. and finally silicone it carefully back together after you have tested it.
  14. aplmak

It seems to be mostly revision "E's" in this stack.. maybe a D and an F but all E's
  15. Ok so I have 3 working drives.. I de-gooed them and sealed them with some good silicone adhesive. They are in perfect shape. The problem is the boards... I've got a pile of connor hdd boards that are bad... I assume it was during when people tried to fire them up while capacitors were leaking everywhere and it did something to a chip on the hdd boards. If I swap boards from a good unit it they power up and run just perfectly fine. If I only knew what to fix on this pile of bad connor CP-3045 hard drive controller boards........