Cinan

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Hi all, I have a Performa 5260 that is dead on power on, no noise, no smells. no activity. I am more used to Compact Mac's so this is new territory for me. I was going to start with a complete recapping of the power board and video board and see if anything changed. I have pulled a few resistors and checked, they seem fine, I am also thinking C801 and C804 are Rifa caps so may replace them as a matter of process, I have also checked the fuse at F801 and it is fine. Are there any other obvious areas where these suffer and would cause it to be completely dead ? Any schematics for these ? Andrew.
  2. Cinan

SE/30 Welcome to Macintosh

BTW, the trace fix also fixed the lack of sound.
  3. Cinan

Performa 5260 Dead

Hi all, I have a Performa 5260 that is dead on power on, no noise, no smells. no activity. I am ore used to Compact mac's so this is new territory for me. I was going toast with a complete recapping of the power board and video board and see if anything changed. I ave pulled a few resistors and checked they seem fine, I am also thinking C801 and C804 are Rifa caps sp may replace hem as a matter of process, I ahem also checked the fuse at F801 and it is fine. Are there any other obvious areas where these suffer and would cause it to be completely dead ? Any schematics for these ? Andrew.
  4. Cinan

I reinstalled OS 7.5 and all seems good, took the opportunity to wipe all the partitions an clean it up. Looks like that has fixed the bus error issue.
  5. Cinan

How many Mac's saved

Hi all, the intent isn't to tell us how what you have it's to create a cumulative total of what you have saved through fixing and keeping the total adding up. Back to the last total number and lets start from there. Given this is in the Compact Mac section lets just keep it for the Compact Mac series. Mac 128k - 2 Mac 512k - 2 Mac Plus - 5 Mac Classic - 2 Mac Classic II - 4 Mac SE FDHD - 2 Mac SE/30 - 7
  6. Cinan

When clicking things.
  7. Cinan

How many Mac's saved

I am humbled by the detail this group goes to to understand and ultimately save these old Mac's from the hard waste pile. I started looking after the old Mac's because of their industrial design and great legacy they have in the world. I have a background in Computer Science from the 80's which also helps. I was thinking we should keep a record of the number of Mac's that have been re-born via this group as a way of understanding the impact. Pretty basic, use this as a thread to add to the last entry to keep a running total. I will start and see where we end up. Mac 128k - 1 Mac 512k - 1 Mac Plus - 2 Mac Classic - 1 Mac Classic II - 1 Mac SE FDHD - 1 Mac SE/30 - 1 Simple instructions : Reply to the last entry, copy the list above and add to the number based on how many Mac's you have have saved/fixed to a working state so they don't get thrown out.
  8. Cinan

So it boots now, D(28) was the problem. So all those hours with a magnifying glass, multimeter and schematics were worth while. Onto the next problem, I am getting a lot of Bus Errors when I select things now though so need to track that down next.
  9. Cinan

I may have found the problem. I don't have continuity on D(28) between Pin 43 of UG12 and Pin 13 of UJ11. I think this may be caused by recapping damage from previous owner on C9 as per my earlier post, it seems that traces have been burned away by some amateur solbering. I have put a new trace wire in directly between the pins. I will recheck this afternoon before powering up and see what happens. I did some checking between the via's along the traces to validate the thinking. D(28) gets from the CPU to UJ11 but then not between UJ11 and UG12.
  10. Cinan

I have tried the SE/30 logic board in a working SE FDHD, same result. The SE FDHD Logic Board with the SE/30 PSU and Analog board works fine. So the problem is definitely in the SE/30 Logic board, I also tried this with the RAM of the SE FDHD and vice versa so RAM also not the problem. I think I will start with the SCSI area as I noticed when the SE/30 Logicbaord was in the SE FDHD chasis it kept the the HDD high light lit when it was trying to access the FDD. I was thinking about buying an oscilloscope so maybe this is a sign that I need a new toy !!
  11. Cinan

Yeah I have started checking continuity. Anyone have any ideas where the most likely area of concern might be. I am currently focusing in on the SCSI and FDD chips
  12. Cinan

Voltages on the back of J12 are 12.8, -11.8, 5.08, -5.05.
  13. Cinan

Hi all, I have recapped the analog board and the PSU with no change. I have also tried another HDD and FDD from a working machine and the same result. On further inspection on the underside of the logic board I noticed something that doesn't look right. There seems to be a jumper Cap between C62 and L21 as per the attached image. This is under the FDD controller chip UJ11. Does anyone know if this is normal ? It is a 820-0260-A Logicboard
  14. Cinan

Hi all, an update here. I recapped all the SMD Caps on the weekend and cleaned the logic board. I discovered from previous work on the band that the -ve of C9 wasn't connecting to Pin 7 of the connector correctly so I got that working ok. But after all of that no charge in the outcome I am waiting on new Caps fr the analog board and the two axial caps of the logic board to arrive so I can recap the remaining. After that I am not sure where to try. Will provide an update after this recapping.
  15. Cinan

Thanks for your offer, I am in Melbourne Australia. I will persist for now and I am going to borrow a FloppyEMU which will allow me to load some apps and connect them. On another note does anyone know where pins 6,7,8 of the IC on UE8 go to, under closer inspection they are right next to a SMD cap and look a bit dull and crusty. If someone has a schematic I can check continuity on those to see if there are issues.