TweedyF

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. TweedyF

Treasure trove of floppies

I'm going to be away from the old Macs for about a month, so I thought I'd post what I've got so far for those interested. Archive.sit has mostly stuff that seems to be online already - though I think a few new sub-version numbers. TOPS is in there as well. NumberMaze is cute and worth checking out - an educational math program. I haven't actually seen MacRISK online, although I feel like it must be? Gravitation is also neat. Bonus.sit is full of things I found tonight; it has some fun curiosities, which I suspect some of you will know better what to make of than I am: ATTO Cache ci - a set of speed test utilities (Also in Archive.sit) BBEdit 2.2 beta 4 MacDTS Sample Code - May 1990 Developer Technical Support sample code release MS BASIC 1.0 on a 400k MFS disk Net/Mac - a ham radio packet ip thingy Parallel Printer Utility - a Lightspeed C project for a utility GCC was developing TextPert - seems to be dev tools for Chinese language localization? TMON - a monitor and debugger from ICOM xfer - looks like an internal GCC SCSI development tool? XFS-Unsupported - 1991 sample code from Apple for external file systems along with an interesting letter explaining why developers shouldn't use it This is probably the best of it - the rest of the disks look like mainly different iterations of the same GCC printer utilities and related things. (But who knows! I'll definitely check them all out.) Archives.sit Bonus.sit
  2. TweedyF

@cheesestraws Voilà! TOPS.sit
  3. TweedyF

@Crutch you're right on all counts. They're 400k MFS disks, but the main program disk seems to be missing. Until I get these up somewhere properly, here's the archive of disks 2 (Libraries) and 3 (Utilities), attached. @LaPorta good call – I'll stick with Stuffit 1.5.1. @cheesestraws I don't think any version of TOPS will install on my 128k (right?), and I can't get it to install on mini vMac, *and* the files don't have version numbers in the get info pane, so I don't actually know what version of TOPS it is. (The disks themselves are copies so there's no physical indication either.) Do you know any other way I can find out? LSC2,3.sit
  4. TweedyF

Also @Dog Cow I found a copy of TOPS -- let me know if you want to try it out!
  5. TweedyF

Quick question - I'm imaging these using DiskDup+ then stuffing using Stuffit 5.5. Should I be using a different version of Stuffit? Would love if anyone knows offhand what the ideal version to use would be. As it is, I'm not familiar enough with all the compatibility issues to know, and since Stuffit is a pain as it is, I've just been using the version installed on the Mac with the floppy drive that I'm using to image the disks.
  6. TweedyF

That’s amazing! Definitely will do. @Scott Baret I’ll keep an eye out for Dinosaur Days. So far nothing much out of the ordinary. It seems like these came from someone who did engineering or software work at GCC back in the day, so there are a lot of utilities and that kind of thing. On the plus side, I’d say better than nine in ten have no bad segments. Anyway I’ll keep plugging through them!
  7. TweedyF

A fellow on my local Craigslist sold me what must be at least 200 floppies full of Mac software from the late 80's/early 90's for $5 this week. Most of them are 800k disks. There's even a (sadly overwritten and written on) official LisaDraw floppy! Nuts! I'm going to slowly image and stuff what's on all of these and find out where best to archive them online. Will store and share as I can – and if there are any real gems along the way, I'll post about them here specially!
  8. @Dog Cow and @Crutch you’re geniuses. Rebuilding the desktop for the disk worked. Thanks! I did wonder if the system version was part of the problem, since I know this isn’t the best version for the 128k (it’s all I have at the moment), but I figured that wouldn’t explain the sudden persistent onset of the error. But I suppose if the machine has less to work with in the first place on 5.3/3.2...
  9. Good question. I (stupidly) hadn’t really considered that the problem might be with the second floppy itself. I only have the two disks right now, but I’m picking up a lot of old floppies tomorrow that seems to have some 400k’s in it. I’ll let you know once I can try out some others. (I also ordered a bmow floppy emu, so I’ll have that to troubleshoot with sometime soon.) It’s just odd that this error was occurring intermittently before and now suddenly it’s persistent.
  10. Ah sorry if I wasn’t clear, this is a 1984 Mac 128k I’m talking about!
  11. Hello all - new member here! I picked up a 128k about a week ago which seems to be in good working order. The previous owner reports having rehabbed the disk drive and replaced some of the ram chips (with sockets added). I haven’t opened it up yet, as I’m still waiting on my long T15. I have a repro startup disk with Finder 5.3/System 3.2, and another disk that has some games but no system files. Until today, I had been able to swap the games disk in and (after some more swapping) run Missile Defense. Today, it won’t let me mount the games disk. I get the error, “There isn’t enough memory to work with another disk.” I did see this intermittently in the past few days, but a restart always resolved the issue. Today, no longer. I haven’t been able to find anything out about this error - here or elsewhere online. I’m wondering if anyone knows what it’s about? Do I need to worry about a bad RAM chip? About the Finder shows 128k of RAM, so I guess it’s registering all the chips?