aeberbach

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

• Interests
    guitar, iOS, making things

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. aeberbach

3D-Printed Objects

The one you linked is the one I printed. When I say "not the same" I mean it works fine, just doesn't look right. Even in highest detail in Prusa PLA Vanilla White you still see obvious layers. I have some hope with my new roll of ASA filament (much tougher apparently and acetone-smoothable) but since it is a bit toxic to print in the room where you work all day I am waiting for some time to move the printer.
  2. aeberbach

SE/30 Reset/Programer Bottons

I wish I could find one of these units. I have 3d-printed a couple of different versions but it's not the same.
  3. aeberbach

Custom ROM SIMMs and Boot issues

Wow, locals - Hi, I am in Melbourne too. I do not have a lot of experience with custom ROM but I have just received a BMOW for the SE/30. It did not work unless two layers of kapton tape were added on the back of the SIMM. the thickness of the PCB is the issue so the tape needs to go over the contacts but also up the sides of the SIMM so that the clips act with just a little more force.
  4. aeberbach

System Software uses 125,072 of 131,072

Depends on how you build it but you could maybe build the 64-pin ROM with a JTAG header on it, have some cheap micro for the purpose?
  5. aeberbach

Double-ended ROM @chopsticks? I'd probably be interested.
  6. aeberbach

Beyond repair?

Best way to find out would be to catalog exactly what chips are damaged, and see if you can replace them. Of course you would need to remove those chips so you may as well, and after that you can assess how bad the PCB is, whether pads remain attached to the board, whether holes and vias clean up nicely or how bad it all looks. But going by a quick look, that board is toast. I would be surprised if it could be made to work.
  7. aeberbach

And it arrived today! Only to show a simasimac-like screen and no startup tone! I applied two layers of kapton tape to the reverse of the ROM. A strip over the contact area and vertical strips on the outside of the holes, where the clamps hold the SIMM in to the clip. The BMOW PCB is noticeably thinner than the original ROM when the two are held side by side. With a little tape all is well.
  8. aeberbach

d'oh! I forgot about the replacement ROM thing. There's a BMOW ROM in the post that has been in transit for about three months, that should fix it.
  9. I just received 8 x 16M SIMMS and installed them in the SE/30. This image shows the system report: Is it the case that 7.5.3 only supports a small amount of RAM and will mark all the rest as used?
  10. aeberbach

3D Print Replica HD 20 SC Enclosure?

Nice job! Linear patterns for the repeating lines too? Did you have to buy a license though? I thought that for general maker use it was free until you make $100k in income with it?
  11. aeberbach

SE/30 - CRT Ghosting / bleeding to the right

I acquired a SE/30 a few months ago. Until this week I had not disconnected the yoke but I should have. The only things that haven't been working are focus (not as good as it should be) and the front brightness knob does nothing. On cutting away the glue and removing the yoke I found a wire soldered from one CRT pin to the same pin on the yoke socket. Why would you do that unless the socket itself was bad? Sure enough, on cutting away the plastic mushrooms that hold the central plastic disk on that socket I found that one connector had broken inside. I fixed that, squeezed each socket contact a little tighter and replaced all. Right now it's all disassembled after epoxying back together but I'm hopeful, that wire had a real about-to-break feel about it. It's worth a look at that socket to see if everything is actually connected with low impedance. Also well worth a look behind the plastic sheet at the solder connections of the socket to the small PCB - three of mine were cracked from flexing with one actually open circuit.
  12. aeberbach

New 3D-printed parts (ktkm)

It's worth a look at Autodesk Fusion 360. The cloud-based storage and STL conversion can get annoying as it takes far too long compared to local storage and conversion. The website is a hot mess. Licensing is a little confusing but it is free for hobbyists. With all those negatives you might wonder why, but it can do anything and there are a lot of free tutorials and support if you are getting started.
  13. With the price of a large DRAM (around $5) these days I don't know if you would even bother with SIMMS - a FPGA would be useful in any redesign (attach a 50MHz 68030 maintaining original mainboard timing, ethernet, generate all clocks from one source etc..) and could easily make a single chip look like 8 SIMMs. In case you prefer unmodified ROM and don't want to wait so long for RAM check on every boot, make it possible to configure the RAM amount. (And there's the board space issue solved too, a full 90 square centimetres freed of SIMM sockets.)
  14. aeberbach

Apple "mistake? video 512 x 342 vs. 512 x 384

I know 512 x 384 is a handy number and exactly half the XGA standard resolution but can't understand why it wasn't used. If the memory is there why not? It was expensive in 1989! Supposedly the stock monitor is just fine at higher and grayscale resolution if you score a Micro Exceed, so why a smaller 512 x 342 display when the mainboard could have displayed 384 lines? Is this just carrying over from earlier Macs where this was the economical memory increment, but other technical issues made 342 lines the maximum?
  15. Why does Apple state that the SE/30 supports 512 x 382 video? https://support.apple.com/kb/sp195?locale=de_DE (underneath it does say that the number of lines on the physical screen is 342) Every other source (and the Mac itself) says that the resolution is 512 x 342 with no mention of 384. I'm really curious about why 384 is used here at all. Is it just that claiming the extra lines was a good spec for sales to quote, in the same way other manufacturers might go on about 4096 colors even though that might be only in one screen mode you would never normally see? Is there some way for the SE/30 to generate 512 x 384 on an external screen? But if that is true how does an external screen connect with no hardware?