1 Follower

Profile Fields

• OCCUPATION
    Ne’er do well rapscallion

Recent Profile Visitors

129 profile views
  1. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

If/When I get the ROM dumped, I will make them freely available to the community. Per DogCow’s research, the 2.45 ROM is from mid-March - mid-April 1983.
  2. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

awesome site. I’ve read every page on folklore.org. Great stories about the gestation and birth of a world-changing product. History told by those who made it.
  3. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

The ROMs of the other 2 were dumped. I just emailed the person who dumped them: James Macphail of Sigma Seven Systems in Vancouver BC. Hopefully I’ll hear from him soon.
  4. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Indeed, the Twiggy drive in the Mac has a 20-pin connector.
  5. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Thanks, Triptech. I just emailed James.
  6. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Thanks again, olePigeon. I just emailed Marc.
  7. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Holy crap - You’re right! Unfortunately, it’s empty. No Apple ID card, no reference card, not even a playing card.
  8. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

I just checked, thinking I might have overlooked it and wondering for a second or two if I’d find Steve Jobs’ Apple ID card or something. Alas, it doesn’t have a pull-out drawer. You’re welcome. I’m happy to share this odyssey.
  9. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

It’s the original belt. The battery wasn’t in it, thank god. No popped caps, no battery leakage. The Twiggy Mac, along with its keyboard and mouse had been in its original padded carry bag at least since the original owner died in the 1990s. The original owner was a member of Apple’s board of directors at one point in time and when he died, his daughter ended up with it. I’m her computer tech and she called me over one day to go through “a bunch of old equipment” to identify what to donate and what to throw away, and this old equipment included the Twiggy Mac. Neither of us knew what it was, but I knew no production Mac had ever been released with a 5.25” floppy drive and that it was probably a prototype of some kind. She wanted it to go to a good home when I told her it was likely a semi-rare or rare Mac, so she gave it to me in mid-December. I did some research and realized it was a Twiggy Mac and that finding it was, as I put it at the time, “like finding an albino Bigfoot.” (Yes, I’ve kept quiet about it for nearly 6 months. It’s been hard to do. I mean, imagine finding an Albino Bigfoot - Who wouldn’t want to let the world know about it?) When I got it, the floppy was inserted incorrectly. It was face-up, but it was rotated 90° from proper orientation (see the video). I couldn’t remove the floppy; it was wedged in pretty good, so I left it in the drive and only removed it after I pulled the Twiggy drive and its frame out of the case. The FileWare floppy - a literal one-of-a-kind item due to the OS on the disk being written for the specific ROM revision on the board - may be damaged. The Twiggy Mac starts but does not load the OS. I’m pretty sure the Twiggy drive is working as designed (for what that’s worth ) but I can’t tell. Due to the utter uniqueness of the hardware, Im thinking I can’t just pop in a FileWare disk for a Lisa and expect it to be read (although I haven’t tried). If anyone wants to lend a hand with backing up the FileWare floppy and/or troubleshooting the Twiggy drive, I would be eternally grateful. I know this is a special Mac, one of only 3 of its kind known to exist. I’d love to get it working again. And I’m glad people are digging the fact that it exists and that it’s not a hoax. If anyone is skeptical - I get it. I’m a skeptic by nature and I could scarcely believe it myself at first and didn’t believe it was an actual example of the near-mythic Twiggy Mac until I saw Mac Man on the logic board. So that’s the (recent) history of my Twiggy Mac. Thanks for reading and for the interest in my Albino Bigfoot. OldMacGuy And now… This is a Public Service Announcement (unfortunately without guitar): IMG_6276.MOV
  10. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

When I saw it, I called it an Albino Bigfoot.
  11. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

I’d be skeptical, too. This, however, is the real deal. I’m working on a proper write-up on my Twiggy Mac and what I know of its history that I’ll hopefully post this afternoon or evening. In the meantime, here are a few more photos:
  12. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Thanks for this. I’ll contact him.
  13. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Indeed, it’s a third Twiggy Mac. I’ll post more photos and video when I get home later today, but here’s a few more for now:
  14. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

It starts, but I need some help with the disk and/or Twiggy drive.
  15. OldMacGuy

A Bit Of A Rarity

Yes, it’s real.