Mighty Jabba

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Mighty Jabba

Confounding Macintosh SE/30 booting behavior

The internal SCSI2SD arrived today and it seems to be working perfectly, so I guess it was just the hard disk itself acting up. Since my SE/30 now has a transparent case, I'll be leaving the disconnected hard disk in there just for looks, and I have the SCSI2SD kind of resting on top of it. Thanks for the help everyone.
  2. Mighty Jabba

Thanks, if there's a good chance it's just the drive acting up, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get an internal SCSI2SD for this machine.
  3. Mighty Jabba

The external version uses a different connector so I’m not sure how I would do that. Is there a converter or something? Sorry, I really don’t know a lot about SCSI. I could possibly take a drive out of one of my other machines and try that. I think could still complain to the seller of the machine if I can prove the drive is the culprit
  4. Mighty Jabba

So after unplugging the internal hard disk everything seems to be working as I would expect. I am able to boot from the external SCSI2SD and I can also use a Floppy Emu at the same time. The boot floppy that caused the bomb error still does not work, but I make a copy of the System 7 Disk Tools and was able to boot from that with no problem. What are the possibilities for things that could only affect the internal drive like this? Could the drive itself be the problem?
  5. Mighty Jabba

I did some more experimentation and I only get the disk icon without the flashing question mark when I have the external SCSI2SD attached. I unplugged the hard drive cable and it seems to allow it to boot from the SCSI2SD every time, so I'm wondering if it's some kind of SCSI configuration error. But it has worked sometimes even with the hard disk attached, which I can't figure out. And I still don't get why it won't boot from its own internal hard disk most of the time, even if nothing else is connected. I might just leave the hard disk disconnected since it's fairly loud anyway, but I don't really like the idea of not knowing what the issue is.
  6. Mighty Jabba

It will attempt to boot from a floppy, but I get a bomb error when it gets to the desktop. But the only boot floppy I have on hand is one I've used with other machines, and it is for System 6.0.8. Is it normal for the floppy icon to be displayed without the flashing question mark? Like I said, sometimes it will flash and sometimes it just says there on the screen (the cursor is movable so it's not frozen).
  7. I recently bought a recapped Macintosh SE/30, and I don't understand the way it's been behaving. Sometimes it will boot to the hard disk and sometimes it will just show the floppy icon (sometimes with the flashing question mark and sometimes without). Sometimes I can get it to boot from an external SCSI2SD and sometimes it won't. It has System 7.5.3 installed by the seller and when it boots it seems fine, but half of the time it doesn't boot beyond the floppy icon. I'm not very familiar with using 7.5 on a compact Mac like this so maybe I'm overlooking something basic. I have selected the internal hard disk in the Startup Disk control panel. Any ideas?
  8. I bought a 2400c last year (which I mentioned in this thread a while back). I didn't use it much for the last few months, and when I went to try using it again I found that the backlight won't come on. You can still barely see that the screen is active so it appears to be functional, but obviously it's a bit tricky to use without a backlight. Any ideas about what could cause this or how to fix it? I'm assuming it's a hardware failure and not something could be fixed any other way, but I'm not sure what exact part might be the culprit, or whether it might be cost effective to try and fix it.
  9. Mighty Jabba

Mighty Jabba's Conquests

I finally got a PowerMac G4 MDD to "complete" my collection of the major tower designs from the 9600 to the G5 (and cheese grater Mac Pro). It was "untested" so it was a bit of a gamble, but it turned out pretty well. Initially it wouldn't turn on because (I discovered) someone had removed the hard disk and RAM from it. But I borrowed a stick of RAM from my G5, plugged in a Firewire drive and it booted right up. It was listed as a single 1Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM, but turned out to be a dual 1Ghz with 0GB of RAM, so I guess I came out ahead? It also has an Airport Card. I think I have an extra hard drive that I can put in this, but is there any problem just using the 1GB RAM stick I took out of my G5?
  10. Mighty Jabba

WHAT FONT? "can't wait to get out of that bag"

Well this thread took an unexpected turn
  11. Mighty Jabba

Recent spike in PPC Mac prices?

It's possible that prices were unusually low during the period when I was actively looking and now they have gone back to normal. Either way, I guess I'm glad I got most of the stuff I wanted at that point.
  12. I started collecting PPC Macs in earnest just a few months ago, and one of the main reasons I decided to essentially go all out and get all of the ones I had wanted back in the day was that they were extremely cheap. But I’ve been following the prices since then and it seems like they have increased significantly. The titanium PowerBook G4 in particular has sold for really high prices. One went for $535 on eBay recently, which I figured was some kind of fluke (it also surprised the owner, who mentioned it on Reddit), but others have gone for more than $200 as well. Pismos also seem to be going up, with one selling recently for $200. I also haven’t seen a cheap iBook clamshell for a long time. I thought I would ask people who have been paying attention to this for longer than me what they thought. Have you guys noticed the same thing? Is this just part of the natural ebb and flow of prices or does it represent a lasting increase in prices for these machines?
  13. Mighty Jabba

I saved 100+ iBook G3 Clamshells

This was quite a necropost, but I’m kind of glad since the photos at the top of the post were pretty epic. I’m so glad these got saved
  14. Mighty Jabba

My compact Mac-themed birthday party

Since I've been restoring a lot of older Macs recently, I decided to have a compact Mac-themed birthday party. I brought along a couple of them for people to play around on, and we used the SE on the right to play a three-player game of Jeopardy, which was pretty fun. My sister made up some Mac-themed sugar cookies that I thought turned out really well. One of my presents was a "1984" pillow from Throwboy. Unfortunately, as I was preparing for the party, my Mac Plus with a Gemini Systems accelerator (my fastest system and the one I had been planning to use) stopped working. The screen froze up and when I tried restarting I no longer get a chime and instead get garbled video. I have yet to work up the courage to recap a normal Mac, so I'm not sure I'm up to fixing an upgraded system like this.
  15. Mighty Jabba

Questions to ask when buying a compact Mac on eBay?

Most people selling these things on eBay seem to know almost nothing about them, so I think it's probably a bridge too far to ask a normal seller to open up the case of one of these computers. In the end, it's always a bit of a gamble. I've bought many computers sold as not working that turned out to be just fine when I got them in hand, or they only required very minimal troubleshooting. But others have been hopeless cases where I basically lost money on the deal. I would think an SE would be significantly more risky than many other models, but for $100 maybe the risk is worth it (assuming you think you are capable of recapping it).