• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.jscard.org/

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. I vaguely remember reading in a PostScript manual from the 80s that the original LW and LW us didn't actually have quite enough ram to hold an entire page of some size. I know it can hold an entire A4 page, so it could be that it can't hold an entire letter page. I'll have to do some googling to see if I can track down the source for this.
  2. Do note that the pickup rollers aren't round - they're like a D or semi-circle shape, so that when they turn they pickup the paper. I'm not sure if that affects what you're thinking of doing or not, but I though it was worth mentioning. Those thick bands look like they could be good though, you could get too large ones and then cut to exact size needed.
  3. @olePigeon It certainly worked for me - but note it's quite fiendish to get right because of the limited access you have through the read door of the printer! You probably could take it apart and do it properly, but when I did this back in 2013 I didn't have access to the service/take apart guide so didn't want to attempt it. What I did was: Clean all the old rubber that's now turned to goo off of the rollers Cut a rubber band so it forms a strip rather than a band Get some foam double sided mounting tape and stick the rubber band strip onto one side of it Stick the other side of the mounting tape onto the rollers (trickiest part to do!) Thinking about this now, I'm actually now slightly doubting my memory, and because I'm at uni and my LaserWriter(s) are at home I can't check exactly what I did. I remember I did try using a rubber band on the mounting tape at first, but I'm now wondering if I ended up just using the mounting tape, with one side made non-sticky (ie. so just foam) by repeatedly sticking it and unsticking it from things.
  4. I've got two Pluses (one branded a Plus, and the other upgraded to a Plus), and on both the pickup rollers went to sticky goo. I actually "fixed" one by cleaning the gunk off and then attaching a rubber band where the rollers were. Amazingly, this does the trick and it's been picking up paper fine for over 6 years now! Sadly there's something wrong with the paper feed just before the fuser so it always gets either crinkled or stuck there (this could be due to the separation belt, but I didn't have any luck getting a replacement for that). And my only toner cartridge is streaky, leaky and faint. How well does a NOS toner cartridge for these hold up? I would spend the $60 or so it would take to get one shipped to me if I knew there was a reasonable chance it would work to some degree.
  5. Regarding copy protected disks, I honestly don't know as I don't have any to test - most of my existing 800k disks are user copies, not original. David, the developer of FluxEngine, does say this though: Interestingly, compatibility with the GreaseWeasel is something that David has considered:
  6. Yup, 1.44MB "Mac" disks aren't really "Mac" at all - they're just regular IBM formatted disks, so the FluxEngine can read them fine. You will need an external power supply to power the floppy drive; also a computer running some version of Windows in order to program the PSoC board with the necessary firmware (once you've programmed it, the "client" software which does the actual reading of the disks can be run on any platform).
  7. I should start off by saying that absolutely none of this is my work, I am just letting the 68kMLA community know about it. This is all done by the amazing David Given. The FluxEngine is a floppy disk imaging device that hooks up to USB on one end, and a regular PC 34-pin floppy drive on the other. It can image the raw transitions from the drive, and therefore is able to handle a whole host of weird and obscure formats that PC drives can't normally handle. It's also very inexpensive - around $10 for the board (a standard PSoC development board) and a connector to connect the floppy drive (no custom PCBs or other components needed). Recently, David added support for reading Mac 800k disks (and 400k too I believe, although I don't have any 400k disks on hand to test), outputting DiskCopy files. I've been having a great time over the past couple of weeks imaging many of my disks - so much easier than using DiskCopy on an old Mac then transferring the files manually to a PC for backup.
  8. Wow, just stumbled across this thread today - never heard of M.A.C.E before but it looks really cool! I knew of the Reclassification project, but that's been dormant on GitHub for a while and was never beyond planning / alpha-quality. It's great to see such great progress in this area! My interest is firmly with HyperCard - I maintain the "HyperCard Stacks" collection at the Internet Archive, with over 3,500 stacks added so far. (This uses a JavaScript port of the PCE emulator, to allow the stacks to run in-browser). I'm curious as to what the final business model for something like M.A.C.E is? Do you plan to open-source it? Or will it be a paid (commercial) offering?
  9. danda

Treasure trove of floppies

I am the maintainer of the HyperCard Online project, and over the past three years have got over 3,500 stacks running online in the browser (thanks to hosting and help from the Internet Archive). I've built an online uploader for anyone to add their own stacks to the collection - if you find any stacks, I'd love it if you uploaded them so I could add them to the collection.
  10. Not really - the rollers are inside the rear flap of the LaserWriter, so it's not exactly a very photo friendly place! The printer's also in storage at the moment, but from memory, I used thick-ish foam double sided sticky tape, and stuck the rubber band to one side of it, before carefully sticking the other side to the rollers. Very much a (working!) bodge job!
  11. I'm glad there's more of us! ArmorAlley - you'll know this from reading the thread, but you should open the hinged door at the side of the printer with the manual feed input, and see what condition your rollers are in. My LaserWriter upgraded to Plus had them go all sticky, and my Plus had them go all hard, so I'd be interested to see what condition yours are in. I haven't done much with my two in a while (aside from having many saved searches on ebay looking for a reasonably priced toner cartridge), but I did manage to (after a lot of tries) stick some cut up rubber band bits onto the rollers, and to my surprise, it works! I'll obviously want to do a proper repair in the future, but that shows that the rest of the LaserWriter works fine.
  12. danda

Baroni’s Collection

I think the "if there's enough demand" might be an issue here. While there are quite a few people with IWIIs and a fair demand for the DB19 (not just from 68k macs), the number of people with original LWs/LW pluses, or the original LaserJet/whatever the Canon machine was that took these, is going to be fairly low I imagine (although I'd be delighted to know I'm wrong on this!). There are always a few on ebay for around $50, and while they do sell I'd be (pleasantly!) surprised if there's enough demand to justify the quantity a factory would need to make. I have wondered how possible it would be to take the imaging drum (which for me has been the usual point of failure, creating ghosting and other issues) out of a new cartridge and put it into an old one. The technology can't have really changed (can it?) so if one of the right dimensions was found, maaaaaaybe it would work? Thoughts?
  13. danda

Baroni’s Collection

I've not had much luck with NOS unsealed toner for my other laserwriters, so I've always been reluctant to spend the higher prices on the 92285A. The picture you posted is of the separation belt - the small plastic strip with the spring on the end. There's a little bit of info on this in the owners guide - which I can't seem to find online, do I can send you pictures if you want? This is rather crucial to getting the paper through it unharmed - and it's a consumable part, but impossible (imo) to find new ones any more. I'm not quite sure which roller the stick black mess in the photo has come off - but I can have a look in mine and post pictures if that would help.
  14. danda

Baroni’s Collection

Odd about it not showing up, I've got both of mine (Plus and original-upgraded-Plus) to show under the original LaserWriter drive, and the "LaserWriter 8" driver. The jams caused when using the paper tray are caused by the degrading of the paper pickup rollers. I've had two variations of this problem. The first involved the rollers turning to sticky goo. For this, I cleaned it all off, and then (this took a while!) stick double sided sticky tape on them, and then a rubber band onto that. This isn't a recommended fix - but it's been working for more than 5 years like that now! The rollers on my second LaserWriter have hardened rather than softened, which means they just slide over the paper rather than gripping it. I'll probably take this one apart and fix the rollers properly, now that I have the service manual and take apart instructions for it. Where did you get the toner from? I'm guessing you got a HP 92285A rather than an Apple original? I'm having a hard time finding a toner cartridge that's in any way usable.
  15. Hello danda

In looking for a forum concerning Apple LaserWriter printers, I came across your posting –

Laserwriter / Laserwriter Plus refurbishment

https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/56920-laserwriter-laserwriter-plus-refurbishment/&tab=comments#comment-606600

Why? I have a LaserWriter Plus that has remained unused, stored in an indoor closet for the last decade or so – I had previously been using it in conjunction with an even-then-ageing Mac PowerBook . . . that is, until the laptop ‘packed up’. At that stage, to meet work-related requirements, I started to use a PC laptop – so the LaserWriter Plus has remained unused, though fully functional when it was put away.

Unfortunately, having been working abroad and then largely away from home (for the bulk of the intervening period), I no longer have access to an Apple laptop to test whether the printer is still fully operational.

Is this LaserWriter Plus printer an item that you would be interested in? – either as a working item (if I were able to get it tested) or, failing that, for parts? I live in Perthshire. Kind regards, CraigO

1. danda

danda

I've just sent you a private message :)