jdlanza

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. jdlanza

Fans.....who needs 'em?

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!
  2. jdlanza

Fans.....who needs 'em?

Ok, I’m convinced! Any suggestions for good, quiet (QUIET!) fans?!
  3. I have been refurbishing a couple of PowerMac 6100s and a Quadra 660av. I've noticed that the fans in those machines are pretty loud (probably because they are pretty old!). Since I have replaced the hard drives with SCSI2SD devices, and since the CD drives don't see that much action, I'm wondering what the group thinks about the wisdom of going fanless. I realize the PS will likely heat up pretty good, but if nothing else is throwing off heat, maybe convection can take care of that? Or should I just find some "quiet fans" to replace to old fans? Thoughts? johnl
  4. jdlanza

Duo 230c Heating up - battery short?

Thanks, @sutekh!
  5. jdlanza

@Trash80toHP_Mini, yeah, that was a typo. I meant 280c, not 230c! Not liking the sound of Dead Board Syndrome, but I am concerned that something may gone wrong and killed both the 280c and the dock into which it was plugged!
  6. jdlanza

Thanks, guys. I had been considering a recap project, but hadn't really expected to start with my Duo 230c!
  7. Hi everyone- I'm likely dealing with multiple points of failure, but here's what I got. Have a Duo 230c that has been docked in a Duo Dock for quite a while. Fired it up ~6 months ago and everything was fine. Today, I plugged the dock into power and nothing. No response from the power button, either on the dock itself or from a directly-connected keyboard. We'll get to that. Opened up the dock to extract the Duo230c and noticed a burning smell, faint, but there. Connected the extracted Duo 230c to power using the OEM power brick and smelled the burning smell again. Anyone have any experience with these old NiMH battery packs? Is this smell from the battery, or something worse? Suggestions for next steps? Thanks, johnl
  8. jdlanza

SCSI2SD Boot mystery

For the curious: it looks like it was either Apple Location Manager or Apple Talk Remote Access that was the culprit. johnl
  9. jdlanza

SCSI2SD Boot mystery

@Crutch: Booting with extensions off gave a clean boot from the SCSI2SD card! Thanks for the suggestion -- now off to get Conflict Catcher....... johnl
  10. jdlanza

SCSI2SD Boot mystery

Oh, good suggestions! I had "zeroed" the SD card and clean installed 8.0 on the card, but I haven't tried booting with extensions off or trying 7.6. Will do that this evening and report!
  11. Hi all, I'm hoping to get your thoughts on the following. I'm refurbishing a PowerMac 6100/66 (DOS Compatible). Yanked the hard drive and replaced it with a SCSI2SD v5.1. Initially formatted the SCSI2SD as 4 4GB devices @ SCSI ID 0,2,4,6 and loaded 8.0 from an official install disc. Dropped it in. PowerMac got past the Happy Mac and then immediately throws a "bus error." 1. Replaced the ribbon cable. Same behavior. 2. Reconfigured the boot drive on the SCSI2SD to be 1GB only. Same behavior. 3. Reconfigured the boot drive on the SCSI2SD to be 16GB (only 1 device). Same behavior. The machine will boot from a SCSI2SD v5.5 (the dongle) quite happily and will boot from the CD-ROM, with or without the v5.1 SCSI2SD installed. The machine also boots quite happily, with the v5.1 SCSI2SD board installed in the SCSI chain, as long as some other volume is identified as the boot volume. In that case, I have mounted disk volumes all over the place! I'm left scratching my head at this point. Any thoughts appreciated. johnl