zebity

• Content Count

• Last visited

1. zebity

External scsi flash devices

Johnklos & co, I got one of these and put it into an external scsi case. Like the ACARD SSD based solution the only HD Formatting that seemed to work was FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. This seems to be a common theme... also as this is no longer available (FWB) appear to have gone out of business, I expect that many people will have trouble with getting these various HD alternatives working. I found a copy FWB HD Toolkit 3.0 which I am going to test and I think the way to make this available would simply to "do round robin" sales, so any one using it has officially purchased the media (and thus has legitimate key). Once I get the physical disk, I will read the details of the license to see what it allows/dis-allows. Cheers, Zebity (Colour Classic "Mystic", Macintosh SE/30, n * Mac mini, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro)
  2. zebity

Sourcing 3.5" 50 PIN SCSI SSD

Hi Johnkls and Duxbridge & Co, many thanks for additional suggestions and tips, I had given up on this one as a lost cause. Based on feedback I "down graded" the ARS--2000SUP firmware. First I tried the earliest firmware release available on the ACARD web site (Version: 1.06P) This required me to pull out old PC again and play around setting up Bart PE Windows Boot CD Results on" "Mystic" Colour Classic ARS-2000SUP (with Firmware 1.06P) with Seagate Momentus 320GB 2.5 inch SATA disk I was able to now successfully use: SCSI Probe, Apple HD SC Setup 3.1 AUX & Lido to communicate to the HD, though non of them could initialise the disk correctly I then dug up a version of FWB Hard Disk Toolkit(version 1.6 Personal Edition) and successfully partitioned and created a HFS disk (maximum allowed capacity) and formatted the 2.5 inch SATA HD. I then copied OS to the new disk and it booted up ok. So ARS-2000SUP works with older firmware. Next I installed OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD into adaptor. ARS-2000SUP (with Firmware 1.06P) with OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA disk Using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit the partition of the SSD disk failed. Next I then upgraded firmware to 1.14P has it appeared that 1.06P would not work with SSD ARS-2000SUP (with Firmware 1.14P) with OCS Agility 3 60GB 2.5 inch SATA disk Using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit I was able to partition the HD and create 3 HFS drives each with maximum allowed capacity (4GB approx). I was then able to copy my 250MB SCSI HD contents onto drive and boot up from it. So now happy to report that ARS-2000SUP is working with the 1.14P firmware. It appears that 1.15P firmware introduces a bug that make device incompatible with old Macs. I have reporting the problem back to ACARD and the fix. May thank to Johnklos and Duxbridge for help. Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  3. zebity

Duxbride, olePigeon, Bunsen & others, well it seems that I am the ginea pig on this one... I have not also tried to use the ACARD SATA box solution with my "Mystic Colour Classic" (this has Performa 575 system board installed), using an external SCSI adaptor. I had not previously tried the ACARD solution in the "Mystic" as getting access to the internal HD is not a simple task and so I wanted to wait until I had a external case to test with. Drum Roll.... It does not come up... giving the same Error as with the SE/30. My testing included using: SCSI Probe 3.5, Lido 7.5, Apples Standard HD Setup and U/AX version... none work. So I think we can put this one to bed.... unfortunately this rather expensive option does not work!! Here is the final email I got from ACARD on this: Dear XXXX, So the problem is between Mac's NCR SCSI host controller and ARS-2000SUP, unfortunately, we don't have NCR SCSI host to check that problem you have, is possible to get other SCSI host (such as ACARD AEC-6712TUM/AEC-6712WM) for your ARS-2000SUP+SATA device? Here is product information: AEC-6712TUM http://www.acard.com/english/fb01-product.jsp?prod_no=AEC-6712TUM&type1_title=Adapters&idno_no=120 AEC-6712WM http://www.acard.com/english/fb01-product.jsp?prod_no=AEC-6712WM&type1_title=Adapters&idno_no=119 Best regards, Jack Lin / FAE ACARD Technology Corp. TEL: 886-2-8512-2290 FAX: 886-2-8512-2548 6F., No.78, Sec. 1, Guangfu Rd., Sanchong Dist., New Taipei City, Taiwan (R.O.C.) So even though the advertise this device as being Mac compatible, they have not tested against the NCR SCSI device (the Mac SE/30 uses NCR SCSI chip) that Mac uses. I was pretty annoyed that they suggested I purchase more stuff, rather than offering a full refund on the device. It seems that the SCSI/PCMCIA reader/writer option might be the better way to get a flash larger capacity SCSI disk for old Mac up and running. I also contact ARTMIX and he does not have any AZTEC Monster II SCSI/Compact Flash controllers available at the moment. Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  4. zebity

M68KLAers, I have had to contact ACARD, as it appears that there a compatibility issue with the ARS-2000SUP and Mac SE/30 SCSI controller... ACARD requested me to reflash the device to lastest firmware, which I did via PC with Adaptec card and I am still having problems with Mac. I get same message about not being able to get Drive Capacity & Phase Error even with new firmware. I am wondering if the problem may be that the ACARD box is trying to run Ultra SE SCSI (20MB/sec) , and not falling back to slow standard SCSI (5MB/sec) that Mac SE/30 uses.... just guessing. Unfortunately the device does not provide any jumper to force using lower speed SCSI. Until I get resolution on this I would advise to avoid the ACARD box with SE/30. I have put a further request for solution back to ACARD after the firmware update did not fix the problem. Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  5. zebity

Hi Johnklos, I put the SSD into a USB/SATA case and then partitioned it using Linux Gpartd with hfsutils to create 2 x 2G HFS Partitions on drive. I then created a 1GB HFS drive image via M68K DiskCopy using Basilisk II (emulator) and copied System 7.5.3 into this. In creating the HFS image, it comes up with a number of options on whether to create a partition table, MBR etc. I selected the "No Boot Record" (or equivalent) option, which I assume means I will end up with a straight serial byte stream, that I can then use to do a Unix DD copy onto one of the 2G partitions on the drive. NOTE: I was not able to create a 2GB image as it resulted in a complaint about there not being enough disk space (even though I have nearly 1TB of free disk...). To copy the image onto disk I presume I just do dd in= out=/dev/ Unfortunately in the mean time I seem to have broken my SE/30 when I pulled it apart to do some case surgery so I could fit in 16MB RAM modules (the SIMMs where just touching pressed metal ridge which means I needed to do some metal work....), so am not going to do more testing until I get this resolved, Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  6. zebity

Hi Johnklas, thanks for the offer, I do have another mac, but putting the 2 1/2 inch drive would not be easy... I created a boot floppy with "minisubstitute" finder and run Lido from the floppy. Lido came up with an error indicating that it could not get the disk size and then reported a "Phase Error". I have two disk a 160GB SSD and an 320 GB regular drive. I got the same error message from both drives. I think that the bridge has limitations on the disk size, as I read the specs and they indicate that the device "supports a SATA hard drive of 1.5G/3.0G", which is way smaller than current drives on the market. I think I will contact ACARD tech support as a 1.5/3.0 GB drive limi, would make this device completely useless, Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  7. zebity

Hi johnklas & Bunsen, thanks for info. I did some further reading and as per your comments the Mac will not recognise all scsi drives ... I have a bit a of chicken and egg problem... I do not have an external disk enclosure and so to format the drive I need to disconnect the internal drive and connect new drive and then boot from floppy (using Network Access 7.5.3 disk). I removed all the network stuff and put SCSI Probe on the floppy and it shows the ACARD SCSI device. I initially tried to format with "ResEdited" standard Setup HD tool (change "00" to "FF") and had no luck. I then tried to put the A/UX HD Setup version on the floppy, but it is too large (even when I removed everything), ditto Lido.... I will try to see if I can create a Mac OS 6 boot floppy and run tools from that. Cheers. (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  8. zebity

Hi M68KLAers, I got myself one of the ACARD SCSI-to-SATA boxes and installed a 2.5" SDD into it, but now it seems that my machine does not recognise it. On both my SE/30 and Mystic Colour Classic the SCSI drives has the old "terminator" resisters sets install. All new SCSI devices use jumpers instead. The ACARD box has two jumpers for SCSI terminator: 1. Terminator Enable 2. Terminator Power Enable I would expect that for SE/30 that I would configure: a. Terminator Enabled & b. Terminator Power Disabled (as SE/30 SCSI provides termination power). However my SE/30 does not recognise the device... (using "Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5"). I then did a check on all the options and still found I was unable to get the device initialised. It this due to limits with the apple software that means that it will only recognise SCSI devices from certain manufacturers? Also will "Apple HD SC Setup" fail in the device is to large? Thanks, (SE/30, Colour Classic (Mystic), Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  9. zebity

68kers, thanks very much for thoughts and references. I think I will try out SCSI to IDE or SATA option. Given that SCSI is parallel, it would seem that IDE is a better option, as it would be easier to convert. The various benchmark results seem inconclusive, so once I get my Mac up and running with converter I will report back. Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic, Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)
  10. Hi 68Kers, is anyone aware of where you can source 3.5" 50 PIN SCSI SSD drives as an alternative to using old (and unreliable) SCSI drives? I have found a number of sites which have details on drives but there are no costs and web searching does not appear to bring up any retail outlets. Here are companies with 50 PIN SCSI SSDs, I have found: Hagiwara Sys-Com Red Rock Menkor If they there is not a "retail" option, I would be interested in seeing here are enough 68Kers to allow an order of some bulk number of drives (to get a reasonable price). Thoughts... Currently I am working on reviving an SE/30 (with recap and IIfx ROM) and Colour Classic (with 575 Board) Cheers, Zebity (SE/30, Colour Classic, Mac Pro, Mac mini(s) and MacBook Pro)