• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://petergodwin.wordpress.com

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. superpete

Video encoding for playback on 68k macs

Just checked the source to MPlayer. Looks like only decoding via qtx is implemented Interestingly, I think they batched some of the DLLs so that they no longer have hard coded paths. Which would make a "portable" quicktime a possibility.
  2. superpete

Video encoding for playback on 68k macs

Hi there I've done a bit of work on a transcoding youtube proxy - https://github.com/pgodwin/68kTube/ There's a tool in there for calling Quicktime under Windows to handle Cinepak and Sorrenson encoding. I've mostly been focused on getting things working as best as possible with FFMPEG as I'd love to run everything under Linux. One thing i've noted is that Quicktime under 68K is a fickle beast. Some things (like OpenMovieFromUrl API calls) just don't seem to exist. Which is why I've pivoted to just something that'll work under Netscape 2 with the Quicktime plugins. Let me know if you have any questions! Edit - some learnings: - adpcm_ima_qt seems to crash on 68K - ffmpegs +faststart option doesn't work properly on older versions of Quicktime (ie v3 or v4 under netscape). The proxy I have ends up patching it up after ffmpeg is finished. - sorrenson is another options. ffmpeg has support but it is slow! the quicktime encoder is faster. - I *think* 68K Quicktime has h261 and possibly h263 codec support which might be useful at low-end resolutions. I need to retest this - it may only be available as part of the video conferencing tools. Encoding speed for these codecs is excellent! mencoder seems to have at least partial support for quicktime codecs (*.qtx) too. I haven't worked out how to use it yet. Sorrenson, road pizza and other quicktime only codecs might open up that way.
  3. Just an FYI for those of you who live in warmer climates. Don't leave your iMac G4 display up against the wall. In my case the adhesive for the polariser layer bubbled and cracked. Ill post images tonight. Fortunately I have a dead first Gen Intel iMac that I think has the same LCD panel so can likely swap them.
  4. superpete

Source for IWM Chips?

According to the MESS guys the Quadra 660AV/840AV/Centris 660AV used an NEC uPD72070GF which is an NEC765-derived FDC with added GCR support. I recall finding a datasheet for it one point - I'll check my archive. EDIT See here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Z23kbbiG5JeFQtSjl2WWZKZk0/view?usp=sharing- I'm guessing it's from bitsavers though i didn't note where it came from in my collection. EDIT2: Amazingly it looks like there's still "suppliers" with stock (2)! Whether you want to base a product around them or not is another thing. Or even if it'll work for an Apple 2 application rather than a Mac...
  5. superpete

what's an acceptable price for the 575?

I bought the non working one. Would have been fine but it shipped with bugger all packaging so the box was full of plastic shards. Amazingly pulling the RAM got it to boot, but the CRT was sputtering quite a bit and there's a bit of corrosion on the AB, looking to recap it but not sure it's worth the effort.
  6. superpete

Help Identifying Capacitor

Thanks Charles. So I think my original suggestion of a 400V 33nF @ 5% (based on the J) was correct. That pdf though means the original part number would have been one of the following (depending on what lead length and packaging apple went for originally): 222237052333 222237056333 222237059333 222237066333 That said, I think any poly film capacitor meeting the original spec should be fine, which is just as well as I haven't been able to find anywhere that'll sell me the original part in quantities less than 2000! I need to make a list of the rest of the electrolytic caps on the AB before I place an order. I'll post the list once done and some links.
  7. superpete

I'm fairly certain it's a cap based on the code. Attached is the location of the cap, it's not actually that big at all.
  8. superpete

Oops! I had selected the file but forgot to hit the upload button. It's there now.
  9. superpete

I was trying to pull out the analog board from an LC 575 (whose case sadly arrived quite broken via the post) and pulled a capacitor leg out in the process (doh!). I'm trying to find a replacement but struggling to decode the capacitor details (see attached). As near as I can tell its an MKT (Metallized polyester film capacitor) 33nF 400V (DC?) with a 5% tolerance. Are there any other details I need to know? Or if someone can send a link to an exact part it'd be much appreciated. Edit: Attachment Attached!
  10. Is that a diagnostic method Tech Knight, or a fix?
  11. superpete

SuperSocket for RealBasic

Thread created / continues https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/28332-68ktube-youtube-for-classic-macs/
  12. superpete

OK I've spun up a VM hosting the server. I'll probably keep it up for a month or so (as it's not exactly cheap to run). Download the client from https://github.com/pgodwin/68kTube/raw/master/Client/RealBasic/68kTube%20Alpha.sit, please it with the default server URL and fingers crossed it will work. Edit: I was considering making 68kTube a separate thread. Any objections?
  13. superpete

Indeed, I haven't checked what's there yet. I'll extract SuperSocket from it soon and upload it so others can access it. Edit: Looks like SuperSocket has been wrapped up in the mbs networkplugin. I'll have to check with Christian before uploading it. It's compiled for PPC and x86 only by the looks (the original SuperSocket did have 68k support). No source is included there, so unless Christian has a copy of the original source dump it's likely lost forever.
  14. superpete

Server and client published to GitHub at https://github.com/pgodwin/68kTube/ It's not quite ready for end-user consumption but it's enough to play with. The GitHub page has a screenshot of how it looks. I haven't compiled the server yet. I've spun up a VM, but won't have time to configure it tonight. If you have Visual Studio 2015 (the community edition is free), you can pull a copy and it should just build and run. If you want to use Video 1, Cinepak or Sorenson, you will need to have QuickTime installed on the server. You'll also need a YouTube API key stored in apikey.txt with the app. The Mac Client will prompt you for the server address on first run. HttpSocket isn't smart enough to time out yet, so if you don't get search results, you'll need to double check your Firewall (it's on by default in Windows). Known Issues (Mac Side) Http Requests don't time out. If you don't see any results, etc within 5 seconds, quit the app. The Movie Player doesn't resize with the window. Use the Movie --> Double-size option. QTL file type/creator is not set correctly Movies don't play on 68K Macs (OpenUrlMovie fails) - hopefully I get make it work, I can't see anything that says it's PPC only. I have a C code example of opening one, will see if I can do a declare in RealBasic and call out to it. Known Issues (Server Side) Fairly hacky, wasn't expecting this to work New QuickTime profiles can be built with the QtConvert /profile <profilename.xml> command. The ffmpeg profiles are hard coded, these should be fixed to be read from XML If a video is already encoded and the user requests a different profile, the original is sent The output path is always ./video/[videoid].mov To fix the two above, a special filename/settings lookup will be added. FFMPEG and QuickTime don't create mov files that can be Fast Started on QuickTime 5 and earlier. I used the Base Media Format Parser (https://basemedia.codeplex.com/) to parse out the file and rewrite it without an FTYP so that QT5 and earlier could progressive play the files.
  15. superpete

Traveling for work today, but hope to do a release tonight. Only issue is I didn't bring a classic machine with me and the emulators like to crash on network access so I can't promise it'll actually work!