dcr

• Content Count

• Last visited

Everything posted by dcr

1. dcr

Walkmac

Now you just need to pair it up with a vintage Walkman. The upside is that that means it's possible to convert the Apple video signal to something else. If someone could figure out how to convert the Apple video signal to a driver board for an LED display, that would certainly help for when the CRTs are all dead and gone.
  2. dcr

A very late 040

We had an LC at the office back when they were new. It was used for our ordering system and probably word processing too. Pretty sure it wasn't the host computer but a workstation. And, as I recall, it worked fine for that. I believe we had it until the LCIIIs came out and then it was replaced with an LCIII. The LC was sold to a local government department where they used it for another couple years. (There's a chance it was an LCII, but I am pretty sure it was an LC.)
  3. dcr

Y2K2020 Date Problem System 7

Given that the first Mac was 1984 and the first Apple was 1976, there's not going to be any Apple or Mac files or applications dated before 1972. So, that seems the best option. Downside is the sorting might be off for the reason you mention, though I'm not sure if that will cause any problems for anything the computers are going to be used for. That is, I don't think they'll be running airplane schedules or anything. I would think primarily games and word processing. And, for me, if I create a file on July 30, 2042, if that shows up as July 30, 2042 (and I can move it to a then-modern computer and preserve that date), that works for me. I would imagine, though, in the case where the clock battery is dead, the system might default to January 1, 2041 instead of January 1, 1904? (Or February 6, 2040?) Not a major problem but just a change to get used to.
  4. dcr

The clock uses a 32-bit number to keep track of the number of seconds from January 1, 1904. This runs out in February of 2040. After that, it will revert to 1904. It affects the HFS and HFS+ file systems too. AFS fixes the problem but, of course, that will only work on versions of Mac OS X that support AFS.
  5. dcr

But your old Macs might not!! :-P Or the Earth. On the plus side, maybe time travel will have been invented before 2042. Then, you can go back well before 2042 and not need to worry about the clock again. Also, NOS will be replaced with NNS.
  6. Does anyone know if the ATI Rage 128 Mac Edition PCI would be compatible with a Power Mac 8600? All I've been able to find online is that it requires Mac OS 8.0 or higher and a 33 MHz or 66 MHz PCI slot. A PM 8600 can run Mac OS 8 or higher, so no problem there, but I've not found anything on the MHz of the PCI slot.
  7. The photo below is what the monitor screen looks like on my PowerMac 8600. Can anyone tell if that loos like an issue with the monitor itself or would it be with the PowerMac's video circuitry? Aside from not being able to make sense of the display, the computer appears to be working fine otherwise. (It's a server.) Of course, the easiest way to tell would be to try a different display on it, but where this PowerMac is located does not make that process easy. And if I need to go through all I need to to get at it, and if it's not the monitor, well, then I'd like to have the parts on hand to fix the PowerMac's video circuitry (capacitors?) so I can go ahead and fix it one way or the other. Thanks!
  8. Following up on this, here is what I did last night . . . 1. Tried a different monitor. No go. Same problem with the other monitor. 2. Removed the VRAM SIMMs. A light layer of dust but otherwise appeared clean, especially the contacts. Cleaned everything anyway. Also swapped the positions of the two SIMMs. Still no go. Same problem with the monitor. 3. Moved the VRAM SIMMs to the two empty slots just in case it was a problem with the sockets. Still no go. 4. Replaced the VRAM SIMMs with a pair of VRAM SIMMs from another 8600, known to be working. Still no go. 5. Put the original VRAM SIMMs back in their original positions because, at this point, why not? Still no go. Don't see any issues with the logic board. No signs of leaking capacitors or any damage to any traces or anything. No leaking battery. No fishy odors. There was a good amount of dust inside the machine but not excessively so. I cleaned that out on the first go around. I did install an ATI Rage 128 Mac Edition PCI card in this machine (discussed in another thread) and hooked it up to a VGA LCD monitor. That worked without any problems. Still, I would like to figure out, if possible, what the problem might be with the built-in video. Kind of a waste to use the Rage 128 card in this machine. It's a server, so basic 640x480 is just fine for the rare times I need to use the monitor. Any ideas? Thanks again!
  9. The Power Mac is running 9.1 and the card worked without any issues. Thanks!
  10. Cool. Thanks! I think the Power Mac is running Mac OS 9.
  11. I hope this is okay to ask this here . . . I have a newsletter that I put out at least once a year. (My current subscribers get a PDF edition for free when the newsletter is released and I offer printed copies and back issues for sale.) It's not about computers but more eclectic in nature. Anyway, since this year (well, April) was the 35th anniversary of the Apple IIc and because I also (finally) obtained an Apple IIc this year, I was hoping/planning to do a little write-up about the Apple IIc and include it in this year's issue, which I hope to release on December 31st if not sooner. If, *if*, I manage to finish the article in time, I'd like to include some accounts from other people who used the Apple IIc back when it first came out (I didn't) or those who still use one today, especially if you have something interesting you're doing with it these days. You'll get proper attribution (i.e., "John Smith of Cityname, Wherever says . . .") and that's about it. I'll send you a PDF copy of the issue if you want. I have 250-300 subscribers on my list and most never even download the issue, so you're not going to become Internet-famous or anything. So, if anyone's game, please let me know. Thanks!
  12. dcr

Plus project

I had the same problem with one of mine. First time, I had just remelted the existing solder. That worked for a while, but then had problems again. Second time, I removed and replaced the solder. Also, I hit every solder point that looked questionable. Third time, basically the same thing, remove and replace, hit every questionable point and even some that looked fine. Last few times I booted, it was still fine. If I've broken the trend, it should be fine the next time I boot it up. If not, I guess the resoldering will be an annual event.
  13. dcr

The most interesting Mac Classic graffiti

Rog/Roy/Ray/Rag may have been of the mind that if someone scrawls something in semi-permanent ink or worse on his computer, that person is definitely not the one.
  14. This is an idea I've had for a couple years, but I am not sure how to implement it or if it would even be possible. Way back when, I had a Linux server that was accessed via a Livingston Portmaster system. When you dialed in, the modem connected to the Portmaster which then connected you to the Linux server. The proper term escapes me at the moment, but the shell you were presented with was a custom Perl script I had written. One of the options was to surf the web via Lynx. You picked it from the menu and you could get on the Internet. This was all text-only, and so the caller's machine only needed to support terminal emulation. So that got me thinking whether that would be possible with the Newton 100 and a Raspberry Pi. My Newton had a fax/modem and software to connect with terminal emulation. I used to log into my system with it, so I know it can be done. I don't remember if I used Lynx or not; kind of assuming on that part. But no problem with text-based interfaces, so I am guessing Lynx should work. I'm not necessarily thinking of using it as a bridge to the Internet, though it would be possible I imagine. I'm thinking in terms of extra storage capacity. I could use a Raspberry Pi with a 16GB or 32GB SD or micro SD card and have plenty of storage. I'm thinking stuff like books could be saved as HTML files rather than book packages installed on the Newton. Might even be able to download a subset of Wikipedia or something for reference. Lots of possibilities. The question is how? Would I need to try to figure out how to connect a phone line from the fax/modem directly to the Raspberry Pi? Or could I use a Mac DIN-8 serial to USB adapter to connect to the Raspberry Pi? If the latter, how would I get the modem software to recognize it? Any ideas? Or is this completely unfeasible?
  15. Plus, considering these machines lasted 10, 15, 20 years without problems (for the most part), the capacitors weren't so cheap after all. It's only frustrating for those of us now who want to keep using these older machines that we have to either develop advanced soldering skills or try to track down someone else who can replace capacitors and make any necessary repairs.
  16. dcr

System 7 on a Rasberry Pi

Recently? No. Haven't tried lately either. I did get it working through RetroPie a number of years ago on a Raspberry Pi B (I think). Downside was that you had to use the Emulation Station to get to it. That build used Basilisk II as opposed to Mini vMac. I've seen another video where the guy managed to get Basilisk II installed and configured where the Raspberry Pi would boot right into the emulator after going through its own startup process. That's my goal but haven't figured out how to do that. I have gotten it (Basilisk II) to run on a Raspberry Pi Zero but it has to go into the Raspbian desktop first and then you boot the Mac emulator. That leaves less memory for the Mac itself because the Raspbian desktop is running. Other problem I had was that the RPiZ would also lose the keyboard and mouse connection (USB) after a few minutes. Then, I'd have to unplug them and plug them back in to get them working again. Makes no sense to me. And that's not an emulator issue because it does it in Raspbian's desktop too.
  17. I'm using a laser engraver to make a portable-ish 640x480 LED display if that counts. Of course, mainly I'm ruining acrylic sheets, but, hopefully, I'll get there. Would have had the main panel finished if not for neglecting an important change from revision 1 to revision 2 that I thought was so obvious I didn't write it down but didn't actually remember until after revision 2 was cut out.
  18. Do you have any dead pens yet? They must have some kind of cartridge or reservoir to hold ink, so I wonder if there might be some way of refilling them?
  19. I noticed that, when open, the upper right and left corners have holes with the remnants of what I assume were feet of some kind to keep the v case from touching? Maybe to prevent the keyboard touching the screen or to prevent scratches? Regardless, they are gone. Were they just rubber feet? They weren't magnetic or anything to put the computer to sleep if the display was closed, were they? I suspect not but with both missing I cannot be 100% certain. Does anyone make replacement feet? Since that's doubtful, does anyone have a photo of them as well as maybe the thickness? I can probably find some replacement stick-on feet; just need to get the right thickness and, preferably, something resembling the originals. Thanks!
  20. Just following up on this which I have neglected for far too long. No definite date yet, but I am hoping to have the newsletter ready for release in late summer. So if anyone wants to participate, there's still time. @RC14 @gobabushka If still interested, PM me.
  21. Ah. My bad for only looking through desktop machines.
  22. Never mind. Motorola did make a 16 MHz 68000. Can't find a Mac that used it though.
  23. Was there a 16 MHz 68000? I see several Macs used a 8 MHz 68000 but haven't found one at 16 MHz. The LC had a 16 MHz 68020 and the LC II had a 16 MHz 68030.
  24. You put the bottle opener on the front panel of the hard drive or unused bay on your tower case.
  25. How about a mouse with an ADB port and USB port so you can connect either cable and use it on old and new Macs? Also, when plugged into USB, it's also a flash drive. Optical too so no mouse ball required.