Juliet Elysa

• Content Count

• Last visited

Everything posted by Juliet Elysa

1. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

I was cleaning my bedroom today, and when I was taking stuff downstairs I saw my iBook. I've had it for a few years, and it works but needs some cleaning, a new battery, and a replacement power adapter (it came with a generic third party adapter that doesn't fit well enough). Apparently there are new clamshell batteries available on Newegg, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I have zero soldering skills or equipment, so rebuilding one myself is impractical at the moment. Pictures are here, I didn't realize how big they were until I tried to insert them into this post and I'm too tired to resize and reupload them!
  2. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

I picked up a brand new 64GB flash drive at Target today, and when I inserted it it greeted me with my very first bomb on this Mac! Or, at least tried to... This particular error has always made me smile. Thankfully a restart put an end to its hissy fit, and when the files are done copying from the 256GB drive onto the 64GB drive I should be able to get my software all transferred and set up! I've also noticed that the iBook intermittently forgets the date and time after a restart/shut down. Are there any PRAM batteries I need to be concerned about replacing? This will be a school laptop, so date and time will be quite important.
  3. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

That is definitely good to know! How did I not know those are a thing sooner? The clamshell is absolutely a piece of art, and the built in carrying handle is something modern laptops should have. Yes, modern laptops are much lighter, but especially the ones with bigger screens can be kind of clumsy to carry. (At least for me, if being a klutz was an Olympic sport I would be a serious contender for gold!)
  4. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Thank you all! The iBook G3 has been my dream computer since I was a little girl, so finally getting this one to a usable state is pretty much accomplishing a life goal. And it's even my favorite color! The flash drive is Windows formatted. I had a brand new drive all set and ready to go, formatted on my iMac and everything, but it turns out that it's too big to fit in the recess the USB port is in on the iBook so I physically can't use it. So I need to get a new drive just for my iBook, but I decided to use the Windows one in the meantime since it had enough room to transfer my games and I'm too impatient to wait for the new one to arrive.
  5. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

The charger arrived a few days ago in perfect condition, packaged extremely well. Definitely happy with this eBay experience! With the adapter the iBook is in perfect working condition when plugged in. Now, next question! Gotta love setup whack a mole, as my fiancee always called it. My 256GB flash drive takes a solid 2-3 minutes to mount, and inserting it makes the OS rebuild the desktop about 50% of the time. Is that normal for original iBooks? My (admittedly newer) indigo iMac has this drive mounted within a minute max, usually less. And no desktop rebuilds. They both run 9.2. The boot chime is loud and clear in person, my phone just has a potato for a microphone. And I have shaky hands, so don't mind that...
  6. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Would a repeater work on public connections too? And if so, is there a security reason to not do that? My (probably unrealistic ) dream is to use the laptop both at home and at my college. Not that there would be many situations at school that would absolutely require using a personal computer with an internet connection, but I have this annoying habit of anticipating and trying to prepare for all possible scenarios.
  7. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

That or one of those USB adapters is what I was hoping to do, since I'd rather not take a laptop apart more than I need to! Though the USB adapters do require drivers, and I'm pretty sure they don't support OS 9 anymore so that probably wouldn't be an option...
  8. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Awesome! Thank you for your help! I'm still on the fence about trying that battery given the $60 price tag, and I'm also wondering if there's any shot of getting a G3 on wifi in 2020 or if I'm stuck with sneakernet (which, realistically, I'll probably use most of the time anyways, but being able to say I could get online if I wanted would be cool ).
  9. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Thank you! That's extremely helpful! Alright, it's apparently making me edit this post instead of making a new one. Just to double check, does this have the right tip? I'm hoping to have at least a charger by the week after next, my crazy dream is to use the iBook as a writing machine for school (and maybe a few light games as well) and my English class starts on the eighth.
  10. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Thank you! That's extremely helpful!
  11. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Yeah, I noticed that. It's all very confusing for a power adapter noob! What should I watch for in a listing?
  12. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

Truth! What I have is an Asian generic, and it's just... nope. Is this what I'm looking for? Also, when looking for something else I came across Apple Rescue of Denver. It's a repair shop that also sells computers and parts, and they seem to have a pretty wide selection. I'm considering buying a SuperDisk drive from them, they have the bondi/blue variant in stock!
  13. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

That'd explain why I haven't been able to find a good yoyo brick! I honestly don't know if there are any sellers in my area (southeast Wyoming), but I'll take a look. Thank you!
  14. Juliet Elysa

Bondi Clamshell!

I saw that video, and read in the comments that he did exchange it and the replacement worked perfectly. So I'm leaning towards that option, but want to know if anyone more knowledgeable than me has input. I'm also confused on what power adapter is the best option. The white bricks all look like the one I have that doesn't fit, and trying to find an original yoyo adapter (which is what I'd ideally like) is just confusing thanks to the two different designs.
  15. Juliet Elysa

Sad Mac on Performa 635CD

This case is closed, and I figured y'all would like to know how it went! The hard drive was indeed the culprit. But despite how bad the problem was (Sad Mac and no drive activity), the drive's not totally dead! My friend has an empty external hard drive case and a SCSI to IDE adapter. We were bored today and figured we had nothing to lose, so we decided to combine the two and see what happened. A miracle, that's what! We had the drive hanging vertically from the edge of the desk (with me supporting it, it wasn't dangling from the connector) due to a lack of space, and after a few power cycles it spun up! Which is something that hadn't happened in our days worth of trying. SCSIProbe was even able to mount it, eventually! I'm not sure if the adapter and/or the vertical position actually had an effect or if it's just a coincidence, but either way Miranda and I are delighted that we were able to save her data! She had years worth of art and writing on that drive, so she was understandably devastated when I told her it had died. The data was backed up on multiple floppies, but she misplaced the disks and hasn't been able to find them! She's seriously her mother's daughter! So, the Performa is up and running with a replacement drive, and the precious files are safe! Can't ask for a much better Sad Mac outcome than that! Minus the trauma of initially encountering the crash in the dark, of course...
  16. Juliet Elysa

Hey y'all! Hope everyone's been doing alright! Life has been insane for me the last couple of years (especially this one...), so my Macs have kinda taken a back burner until tonight. My oldest daughter officially inherited my beloved Performa, and when she went to play some games a couple of hours ago it finally happened. A wild Sad Mac appeared, with the code 0000000E 0000FD00. Where should I start with troubleshooting this? Dr. Google has been very little help... Miranda inherited my Sad Mac phobia, and tonight she turned on the Performa in her almost completely dark bedroom right after waking up from a bad nightmare. Probably the worst way to experience your first wild Sad Mac!
  17. Juliet Elysa

The hard drive does seem suspect, Miranda did say that it was noticeably slower the last few weeks and she got more bombs than usual. There was no hard drive activity during my tests either, though I can't recall when it spins up during a normal boot. I was able to borrow one known good stick of RAM for testing, and with the good memory installed the Sad Mac still appeared with the same code, but it took a second or two longer to come up than with the original RAM. Not sure what to make of the delay, if anything. Checking the hard drive will be my next step, maybe the friend I borrowed the RAM from has a compatible, known good drive I can use...
  18. Juliet Elysa

That page is super helpful, thank you! I should be able to borrow some SIMMs for testing, and I've been thinking of maxing out the RAM anyways so if it does turn out to be a SIMM problem it's a perfect excuse to do that.
  19. Juliet Elysa

It's well overdue for a recap, like all of my Macs. My fiancee and I were planning on having a recap/bomb battery removal party sometime this summer, but she passed away in May and of course I don't know how to solder yet so I can't do it myself. I'll try to get some logic board pics this weekend, work has me up to my ears in assignments (the joys of having a management position!) so I won't have time before then. My first wild Sad Mac story was unusual to say the least. My goddaughter was two at the time, and she somehow managed to get the interrupt button on my Mac Plus jammed with something sticky so it was always pressed. Cleaning that out was... fun. Needless to say, she was not allowed around my computers unsupervised for a while!
  20. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253951401228? This is going to be arriving at my house around November 7th! The seller said that its working condition is unknown, but I have high hopes. There's one problem, though. The purchase doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Does anyone have any suggestions about what works best?
  21. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

Well, that was a big cup of nope! It didn't go into the Open Firmware prompt, and it didn't reset the PRAM either (assuming that the repeated startup sound is still the confirmation that the reset happened?). There's always the possibility that I just suck at Mac combos after primarily using Windows for so long, but now I'm wondering if something keyboard or USB related is going on since it doesn't appear to be acknowledging any keyboard commands. The mini does seem to recognize the keyboard (the Caps Lock light flashes during startup and can be turned on and off after), and it's an original Apple keyboard from 2005 that I've been using as my main computer's keyboard for months now so there's no question that it works and is compatible with the mini. At least this project should keep me occupied for a while!
  22. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

The C key didn't work either, sadly. Which is making me suspicious too that something else is acting up. What other component failures would allow the computer to boot enough to recognize a startup disc but prevent it from going farther than the Apple logo?
  23. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

Hi all! Sorry about the lack of updates. My back is going bad again, making it very difficult to sit in a chair to use the Mini the way it's set up. A few weeks ago I bought a legit DVD from a fellow forum member (thank you again! ), and yesterday I finally was able to sit long enough to test it. It took the Mac two or three minutes to get to the point where it would look for a startup disc, which took an additional 30 seconds or so of the ? folder flashing before it recognized the DVD. It went to the Apple logo screen and displayed the spinning loading symbol thing (it's late and words are failing me ), where it sat for another minute before... a prohibitory sign! Rejected! That's roughly what I was expecting to happen considering that there have been no hard drive sounds, but I was hoping I'd at least get a proper Welcome screen or something more exciting. This is leading me to suspect a complete hard drive failure, though stiction issues are still in the realm of possibility. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Also, how do you get the Mac to eject a valid startup disc instead of trying to boot from it? I used to know this but it's escaped me...
  24. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

That seems to be sold out, unfortunately.
  25. Juliet Elysa

Finally, a Mac Mini!

Oh, the joys of eBay! The DVD I ordered came in the mail a couple days ago, much earlier than anticipated. Today I opened it up and immediately started laughing. The seller stole the obviously fake image from mactuition, which itself looks shady. It seems like there's multiple levels of counterfeiting going on here. And of course the DVD/CD/whatever doesn't work. It loads SLOWLY then stops at the prohibitory sign. It's true that the hard drive might be bad, but I'm not going to make that call until I can get a legitimate CD or DVD. Speaking of which. Does anybody know any reputable dealers of genuine OS install discs? Or if it's possible to get a refund without returning the disc? It's so funny I want to keep it as a display item.