• Content Count

• Last visited

Everything posted by CC_333

1. CC_333

DON’T TALK TO ME OR MY SON EVER AGAIN

Yes! It would make a splendid Raspberry Pi case! c
  2. CC_333

Wasn't Minitel taken offline only a few years ago? Has anyone come up with a way of emulating it? And then, finally, it can work as a standard dialup modem in the US and elsewhere? c
  3. CC_333

@olePigeon Your idea conjures up some pretty hilarious imagery! Someone ought to post a photo of all three (maybe one of those vHack things?), just for the fun of it. c
  4. CC_333

@Trash80toHP_MiniWell, I guess I should clarify that the design language, weird as it may be in general, looks "normal" on the CC, for which it almost seems it is meant*, than the Performa 5xx, which looks to me like an awkward attempt at making a CC with a larger CRT and a CD-ROM drive. c *The SE-derived Classic and LC-derived Classic II have elements of the newer design (Expresso?), but it seems to me like the Performa 5xx and Color Classic were the first pure Expresso designs, with the Performa being a derivative of the Color Classic (EDIT: just checked the Wikipedia article on the Performa 500, and sure enough, it was a derivative design that was rushed into production with little regard to looks).
  5. CC_333

Ah, OK. The one I traded you had a rougher looking case, if I remember correctly. I still have my Performa 578 (my first 68k Mac, actually! I bought it for $35 at a local thrift store in the summer of 2005) They're interesting machines, in that they're relatively functional for what they are, but at the same time their looks are a bit weird, somehow managing to be kinda ugly and kinda not at the same time. And they look even more weird when placed next to something relatively normal looking c
  6. CC_333

Is that the 575 I traded you several years ago? If so, I'm glad it found a good home! c
  7. CC_333

Personal Grail Conquest: Payphone. Yep. :D

@olePigeon The Musée Mécanique up in SF's Pier 45 seems like a place you'd like? It's been awhile since I was there last (I remember first seeing it on my 11th birthday when it was under the Cliff House), but it had a section of 1980's era arcade games that seems like it'd be of interest to you. c
  8. CC_333

JRL's Conquests

You make me jealous (well, I do have a NuPowr 167 Mhz PPC upgrade for my 540c *note to self: ask @Bolle about its current status* ) Seriously though, good find! These aren't getting any easier to find! c
  9. CC_333

Hastily designed VGA adapter for Mac Plus

As would I, if I had any to give I'm hoping to have some relatively soon, though! c
  10. I don't know if you need any more testers, but I can volunteer for the 8 MB module when its design is finalized and the initial prototypes fabricated (I need an excuse to pull my SE/30 out of storage and exercise it). I'm in California, near San Francisco. c
  11. CC_333

My new SE/30

Agreed. I just found that not one, but two bedside clocks had their backup batteries leak. I'm not sure if either of them work, but I think I caught the corrosion in time before it caused any major problems. And in the past, I had an Apple keyboard almost ruined by leaking batteries (I managed to get them out as they were stuck, and replaced the controller board which, unsurprisingly, was pretty much destroyed). All the batteries in question which leaked (except one, a Rayovac) happen to be Duracell, incidentally. c
  12. CC_333

PowerBook 520 recapping or not?

This can and does happen (it's the same tiresome problem most other 1x0 series PowerBooks have, where the posts securing the screw bosses for the hinges crumble away). It's happened to me a handful of times, so be extremely gentle with the screws holding the hinges on, and you *should* be OK. If not, the same fixes for the other machines apply (epoxy, through-hole bolts, etc). Also, the clips that hold that center hinge cover in place (the thing with the little slit for the microphone in the top center) like to break off, leaving the piece unable to stay in place, so be careful with those too. Good luck! c
  13. CC_333

G3 mix, should I proceed?

I have several iMacs (at least three tray loaders, the rest slot loaders), and so far I haven't had any major issues with them. But then again, aside from my Tangerine slot loader (bought new in 1999), none of them seem to have been used very hard. I think they were popular in schools, so those ones are probably the most likely to have major issues, I would think. c
  14. CC_333

G3 mix, should I proceed?

that being said, they will nevertheless run it better than nothing (I tried running 10.1.4 with 32 MB of RAM, and it took a really long time to boot up (something like 15 minutes, I think!) and thrashed the poor hard drive pretty much the whole time, and it "worked", but was absolutely no fun to use). 128 MB was the official minimum RAM requirement for 10.1.x, and this is why. c
  15. Hmm, I know next to nothing about these machines, but if the logic board slots into the case and has a big lot of contacts on one end, you should check them all to ensure that none are dirty or corroded. Also it not being fully seated can cause the symptoms you describe, so try reseating the board to see if that restores its functionality. c
  16. CC_333

GEMDOS on the Lisa can be built again!

Of course! Perhaps, but even so, you are still to be commended for your curiosity and motivation to do something potentially useful with his work! Yeah, OK. Running the full GEM environment on a Mac (a platform GEM strove to emulate) is probably redundant and pointless, but developing some kind of API or runtime environment for GEWM programs to run natively on the Mac OS would be neat, and theoretically, it could be made to work on pretty much every Mac out there, even G3s and G4s, due in large part to PPC classic Mac OS' excellent 68k emulation. Of course, once the means to run GEM programs on the Mac effectively exist, one needs to develop more of them, as not many existed in the first place, owing mostly to the fact that GEM on any platform other than the Atari never gained enough popularity to make doing so worthwhile. However! Since the Atari was also 68k-based, there exists the unique ability to port any extant Atari GEM programs whose source is available to the Lisa (and, perhaps with minimal adaptation, the Mac), so one has that neat advantage c
  17. CC_333

GEMDOS on the Lisa can be built again!

This is neat! Could it be possible to port this to the Mac eventually? It seems like it would be generally possible, since the Lisa and Mac architectures are quite similar, but because of the Mac's ROM being what it is, I'd suppose it'd need a stub program/loader (as all the 68k-Mac oriented Linux/*BSD distros I've seen do), which greatly complicates it to the point that it's probably going to be prohibitively difficult. Be that as it may, the fact that there's new development happening for the Lisa, likely for the first time in more than 30 years, is quite exciting! Keep up the good work!! c
  18. CC_333

PowerBook 145B CAN run System 7.0.1

I think I like 7.1 a tiny bit better, because it has a Fonts folder, so one doesn't have to use special tricks to install fonts into the System file. It's also slightly more compatible with 7.5-era applications and utilities, I find (the fact that pretty much all systems from 7.1.x to 7.5.5 used Finder 7.1.4 (or some variant thereof) might partially explain why). c
  19. CC_333

Bolles finds

OK, that's good to know. I didn't know there was a right way Carry on, then c
  20. CC_333

Bolles finds

Nice find! However: I'm sure you know this, but be very careful! I've read numerous times that the Portable really doesn't like being run without a battery, and some components are prone to frying themselves if any attempt is made to do so. c
  21. CC_333

PB145B’s finds

I have a couple of these myself! I got one at the VCF West in 2017, and another similar one sometime during 2018. I have yet to try them to see if they work, but they look nice enough cosmetically. c
  22. CC_333

Fizzbinn’s Finds

UPDATE: I checked, and it does look like 8.6 was offered as a downloadable updater for 8.5.x. I'm not sure if it was shipped in a retail package, but I kinda doubt it. c
  23. CC_333

Fizzbinn’s Finds

I'm not sure that it was. If it wassold as a retail package, it probably wouldn't have been packaged in it's own unique box, but rather as an upgrade disk included with 8.5. I think it may also had been offered as a free downloadable update to 8.5,? Apple's FTP site was available on the Wayback Machine last I knew, so perhaps I can check.... c
  24. CC_333

My Quicksilver is keeping me warm! :-D

Truer words have never been spoken! c
  25. CC_333

JRL's Conquests

That's a nice find! I have some spare SE/30 parts I'm really wanting to get rid of, if you'd like any? c