All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Just curious if any kind of progress has been made on any of the discussed options. I have a 5300 (not sure offhand if it's a cs or ce) that I dare not flip open again.
  3. I went bare bones and used a uncased adapter, and just plugged it into the socket. https://www.ebay.com/itm/mSATA-SSD-to-44-Pin-IDE-Converter-Adapter-as-2-5-Inch-IDE-HDD-5-Volt-For-Laptop/263766651638?epid=1331356730&hash=item3d69b7b2f6:g:GhoAAOSw5MdbKKhM At $3, I might get another 5 or so, just to have on hand, or when they’re no longer made and the price skyrockets.. if you get one of these, make sure that it has the 5v to 3.3v regulator. Some don’t have the regulator, and will destroy the SSD.
  4. snuci

Possible Micro Xceed card?

Just to close this off, it was an Xceed SE-306/48 card. Video was not working because the board on the CRT neck had fallen off and the glass tip on the CRT neck broke so the CRT was bad. I was able to replace it woth spare parts and the SE/30 works great. Have not tried the card yet but I am sure it's fine.
  5. ClassicMac

Apple Extended Keyboard II (and mouse) 29 dollars total!

The seller is going to send the proper keyboard to me and I’m gonna return the one I have with a postage label provided. I feel bad for the seller as she seems pretty nice and accommodating but communication has been great from the seller. In other news I used my drakware usb2adb connector and I am in love with it. Currently have it attached to my Apple adjustable keyboard and a old adb trackpad. The keys have this crunch that’s isn’t as quite crispy as the AEII but still very satisfying compared to newer keyboard.
  6. jimjimx

1.5 GHz G4 Mac Mini and OS9

So did you get it up and running? How’s your experience so far? Have you run into any problems / quirks?
  7. Today
  8. Hi, I've also got this piece of Hardware, without drivers. Are there any drivers ? :(
  9. BadGoldEagle

DOS CARD

The Houdini I card can't do any audio at all, the Houdini II can't do MIDI (limited to SB16 and Adlib sounds, plus since there is no parallel port, you can't upgrade the sound card at all) and upgrading the CPU is damn near impossible given the rarity of 5V DX4s and Cyrixes, so no Duke Nukem 3D... The Orangemicro cards have better performance but they cost upwards of 400USD. The Apple cards can only do DOS and Windows (no Linux or NeXt). The Orangemicro ones might be able to run 2000 and Linux... The DOS card can share the mouse, keyboard and some folders with the Mac. Unless you find one for cheap, buying a small footprint Pentium PC might be better. But, if you are allergic to non Apple hardware, then the card is the only option.
  10. Jinnai

SE/30 Recurring Freeze at Cold Boot

Wow, you're a very curious fellow. Thanks for such a thorough investigation of this issue.
  11. Yes, the IIc serial ports (printer and modem) are RS-232 using a 5 pin DIN connector.
  12. dkjones96

Color Classic VGA Mod. the CORRECT way

I thought I'd add this little update. This mod seems to be working just fine so far on the Rev D board outside of a warm reboot sync problem that I can't trace. None of the ICs or resistors, outside of the really hot area below, get above ~115F so it shouldn't be drift or anything like that. Leave the machine off for a few minutes and it syncs right up and works for hours without a problem. It just seems to need shut down, not powered off, so the problem is unrelated to RF11. I upsized RF11 to a 3 watter and it runs at about 250F now but CF8 just runs hot I guess. That whole resistor/capacitor/zener diode area runs as long as the switch on the back is turned on so that electrolytic sits at about 65C(measured by attaching thermocouple). It's not comfortable to touch but well within specs, especially if you swap it out for a 105C during recap. Considering undoing the mod as I don't like the lack of clarity at 640x480 compared to factory resolution. To each their own!
  13. 68kMacx86

DOS CARD

Can only dos be run on these cards. Can Windows 95? can Linux? Is it an x86 card or strictly a DOS Card? What hardware can be shared? Would one of these be a good investment for someone with limited space to do both retro DOS Games and retro Mac Games?
  14. Is the serial on a IIc RS-232
  15. Be sure also to read Tog on Interface by Bruce Tognazzini, 1992.
  16. BadGoldEagle

SE FDHD Restoration

You can find the pinout of most of the non Apple chips online (the Sony sound chip, the Bob Baily Unit BBU, the VIA, the RTC etc are all specific and pinouts aren't available).
  17. Crutch

SE/30 startup problems

Yeah I will say I formerly had a similar issue, internal SCSI drive would boot only intermittently. (I didn’t have an external SCSI drive to test with at the time.) The issue was a bad trace near the SCSI chip rotted by cap goo.
  18. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

Thanks, at least this way I can check and see if certain chips are not receiving 5v as they should. I assume that if one has no voltage at all on any terminal, I should start to look there. I appreciate the help, tracking down problems is new to me.
  19. BadGoldEagle

SE FDHD Restoration

My bad, I thought you meant what were the voltages on the connector, not on the chips. Most of them will be 5V.
  20. BadGoldEagle

Apple Extended Keyboard II (and mouse) 29 dollars total!

Any news about your AEKII? I just bought one for a lot more (70 bucks shipped), and it doesn't come with any mice or cords... but it's a zero mileage keyboard (clean, never used and still platinum!). Those things are expensive (not as much as an early Model M but still.)
  21. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

Oh ok just at the connector? I thought you said at each of the chips...perhaps I misunderstood.
  22. BadGoldEagle

Interesting stuff. So remember when I said we almost had the same setup? Well, the ROM SIMM I have is from GGlabs and has the Brown / Braun ROM (stock IIsi but no ram or rom check) on it. Putting hardware aside, the only difference was the image. And I didn't have any issues with my Powercache. I also remember you mentioning that yours got quite hot to the touch after a few minutes. Now I'm starting to wonder if those two things weren't correlated... In order to isolate the ROM issue, you should compare the two ROMs with a hex editor (Hex Fiend on macOS or Notepad++ on Windows). There shouldn't be more than two or possibly three differences between the two. Then you can slowly start adding back the features you want from the ROM-inator II and check if the problem reappears. There is no risk of damaging anything, so it's worth a try I think what's happening here is that something must still be 'running' in the background (I know this isn't software but I couldn't find another word for what I meant) after the Mac finishes booting up and hang as the 'process' requires too much processing power. Once it finishes, normal operation can be resumed. That's only my take on this. For that reason, I wouldn't exclude the startup chime from the suspects list as the Powercache does some funny things to it (much faster and higher pitched IIRC) with the default SE/30 ROM. Edit; I can't seem to find the ROM-inator image online, otherwise I would have checked the difference with you...
  23. BadGoldEagle

SE FDHD Restoration

It's only standardised +-5V and +-12V Pin Color Function 1 Black GND 2 Black GND 3 Black GND 4 Black GND 5 Black GND 6 Blue -5V DC 7 Green -12V DC 8 Black GND 9 White VIDEO (starts 11.2 usec after falling edge of HSYNC, lasts about 33 usec, first data line is 1.26ms after falling edge of VSYNC) 10 Purple HSYNC (square wave, falling edge triggered, 45 usec per line) 11 Gray VSYNC (square wave, falling edge triggered, 60.10 Hz / 16.64 ms per frame, 180 usec low) 12 Orange +5V DC 13 Orange +5V DC 14 Yellow +12V DC source: https://trmm.net/Mac-SE_video
  24. I have approximately nil analog electronics experience. Would it be possible to add a circuit to the Color Classic's analog board that would allow one to switch between the original resolution's signal path and the VGA signal path? I would assume the switching would have to take place while the machine was off, as opposed to switching resolutions in the control panel. Would this require an entirely new analog board? Is that even a feasible thing to design and build in 2019? Again, pretty inexperienced when it comes to this, please let me know if this is a ridiculous thought.
  25. bibilit

SE/30 startup problems

I will advise to replace capacitors as soon as possible, problem is not the capacitor itself, most of the time is the fluid leaking from the capacitor that causes a lot of troubles, including the one you are maybe talking about. Apart from being conductive, this fluid can rot traces in the Logic Board.
  26. JDW

I've been testing this problem over and over for the last 2 months and I've made a couple key discoveries: 1. The freeze only lasts 2 minutes. Note that in my earlier videos I didn't wait 2 minutes and just tried to restart. If I wait 2 minutes, then the computer suddenly starts working again and never locks up after that. However, the 2-minute freeze is still a problem that needs to be resolved. I made a new video showing the automatic recovery from the 2-min Freeze here. 2. I tested every variant of RAM/ROM/Motherboard/Video possible and found the 2-minute freeze is an incompatibility between the ROM-inator II MEGA and the Daystar PowerCache 50MHz 68030 socketed accelerator board. No problems when the ROM-inator is used WITHOUT the Daystar board attached (i.e., when I remove the Daystar board, I of course put the stock CPU back into its socket and then test). This is a fact, and after countless hours of testing and applying solder to the ROM-inator, I know for a fact it's not a ROM-inator connectivity problem in the ROM socket. It's definitely the Daystar board and ROM-inator conflict. I wrote to Steve C. at Big Mess o' Wires. His reply to me was as follows: I tried Steve's suggestion (colored in red above) to use Rob Braun's older ROM and found there is no 2-minute freeze at all when used with my Daystar PowerCache! No problem! Specifically, I programmed and tested the following two ROMs to my ROM-inator II MEGA: http://synack.net/~bbraun/macsrc/iisi+romdrv0.9+nomem+nosum+img.bin http://synack.net/~bbraun/macsrc/iisi+romdrv0.9.6+nomem+nosum-8mb+chm.bin My successful testing with these 2 older Dougg ROMs indicates there's something the stock "mega-simm-image.rom" has which is causing the 2-minute freeze in conjunction with the Daystar PowerCache. I don't know all the differences from ROM-inator II (MEGA?) vs Dougg's ROMs, but the differences I do know are crossed out in gray below: - RAM test is disabled - startup chime is different - Happy Mac icon is different - A new software driver is installed during boot up to manage the ROM disk - There’s a splash screen / menu that shows info about the installed RAM and ROM disk, and prompts the user to press a key to select the boot method - Some regions of the IIsi ROM containing unused code/data have been overwritten with the code needed for the above features - The contents of the ROM disk are present in an address range that's beyond the range of the IIsi ROM - HD20 Compatibility I doubt the "startup chime" is the cause of the 2-minute freeze, so that leaves only the "splash screen" difference as a possible cause of the freeze, unless there's some other differences I'm unaware of. Do any of you have a ROM-inator II MEGA and use it with a Daystar accelerator? Do you get any kind of temporary freeze like I am? Any thoughts any of you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  27. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

I have been meaning to either find or make cables for both the 128k-Plus and the SE series to make a test bench for these machines. What are the voltages supposed to be on these things, is there a list somewhere?
  1. Load more activity