Sign in to follow this  
glazedpineapple

mac plus

Hi,

I just found a macintosh plus in the trash and it still worked up until a few min ago. Originally when I powered it on I would get a blinking floppy icon. I ordered some floppies on the internet and I booted off a macintosh system disk. Then I went to the control panel and clicked on the network tab just to see what would happen. The computer then said something about it not being supported and asked me to restart. From then on the screen no longer displays an image. I am new to vintage macs and I have no idea what to do. Thanks for your help!

Does it beep when you restart?  Is it completely 100% dark or are there any visual artifacts when you turn it on?  Have you double checked that you didn’t accidentally turn down the brightness?

Give it a (small) whack on the left side. There are solder joints on the analog board (more specifically on the CRT coil connector) that often go bad. The display may briefly come back to life.

2 hours ago, glazedpineapple said:

...found a macintosh plus in the trash...

How is this still happening?  The last time I found a PC in the trash was over 5 (probably more) years ago and again that was a PC.

1 hour ago, glazedpineapple said:

Nothing happens when I hit the left side of the computer

Try it at different points in the startup and after it should be running.  If there is still nothing coming on, you may need to open the case at this point, but be careful (dangerous voltages), use the right tools (don't hurt the case, again dangerous voltages) and get a pdf of the Dead Mac scrolls to help with the diagnoses.

The most likely culprit is a particular solder point on the analog board.  Can't remember the ID for it at the moment.  Usually, resoldering the connection will fix the problem.  Best bet is to do a complete desolder and remove the old solder and then solder it back in place with new solder.

The Dead Mac Scrolls that juror22 mentioned will probably have directions.  Or search for Mac Plus analog board repair.