ardweebno

Quadra 650 refuses to boot internal drive!

Hello Liberators!

I recently bought a new-to-me Quadra 650 that came with an original 230MB Quantum SCSI drive.  After unboxing, the Quadra booted exactly one time before the hard drive died.  I bought a replacement 4.3GB Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive (DEC firmware, if that matters), installed it and booted from a System 7.6 Disk maintenance floppy.  I can see the disk with Disk Utility (and SCSI Probe 3.5) and verified it's on ID 0.  I did a full fresh install of System 7.6 on the new drive, rebooted and got a "Happy Mac" followed by Floppy Disk question mark.  

I happened to have a Jaz drive laying around with a bootable System 7.6 image on it, popped that in the external SCSI port and the computer booted up fine.  At least I know the SCSI chip is good.  Also, while I was running off of the Jaz drive, I re-verified through Disk Setup that the Apple HD driver was installed (v8.0.8) on the 4.3GB drive.  I don't get it.  Why can I see this SCSI drive, write tons of data to it, but it is still not bootable?  

Things I have tried:

* Zapped the PRAM (however, the PRAM battery is dead...)

* Swapped multiple known-good SCSI cables

* Tried with nothing else on the SCSI bus but the new hard drive.

* Tried with nothing else on the SCSI bus but the new hard drive AND a SCSI terminator

* Initialized the drive multiple times, updated the driver and then ran Disk First Aid to verify the disk was setup correctly

* Installed multiple versions of System 7.5.5, 7.6, 7.6.1 and 8.0 to the drive.  None were bootable.

* Ran MacTest Pro from the Jaz drive to verify the new drive, logicboard, RAM and system files are good.

I am at a loss.  Any help is appreciated!

Try a smaller partition < 2GB; how are you installing the OS?  Check the 4.3GB drive is internally terminated.

Isn't the drive limit in 7.5.5—8.0 just 4,063 MB, rather than 4.3GB? As Byrd says, I'd try a smaller partition.

Having said which, I can't understand why formatting and an installation would go so swimmingly on an oversized drive that cannot serve as a boot drive.