LaPorta

AppleSauce - who has one?

Just been reading more about this device as a way to import floppies for storage on a new machine. Does anyone have one, and what has your experience been?

@LaPorta  I have one.  Yes, you can read/write floppies from a modern Mac.  Good time to buy one, it was just updated and now supports high density floppies.  It can work with Disk Copy images, raw images, and its flux image formats (WOZ and A2R.)

That’s kind of where I am. I have so many machines and ways of reading floppies, it’s kinda insane. While I like preserving things, I don’t see the need for these super-insane formats preserving everything exactly the way it was.

6 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

I was looking at it, but I just can't justify the cost.  I'm not quite sure what makes them so expensive.

You can build a Greaseweazel for less than $20 so, yeah, not sure where that price tag comes from.

... well, really, it’s obviously the Apple focused software that you’re paying for.

I copy all of my floppies (and sometimes CDs and hard drives) with real Macs so I don't have a use for this. However if your end goal is to directly copy disks onto your new MacBook and run your old software in SheepShaver, these may be worth the cost.

I have one and love it.  Much easier to archive directly to my modern Mac and now with HD floppy support it is really useful.  It is faster workflow wise than using a vintage mac for a large number of floppies and works for Apple II as well so it is my one stop preservation shop.