LaPorta

La Porta's Finds

I suppose since it is in vogue now to make a find's thread, I'll start with one of my actually new-to-me machines (meaning I have not had one before). I just picked up a Classic II today from the same print house that Tobar got his pair of SEs from (he beat me to them!). I fired it up to a screen of garbled junk with no startup sound: I will assume the leaking caps have caused their usual damage. Thankfully, the battery had not blown. I asked the lady when I looked it over to see if I could look inside: she was somewhat flabbergasted, but allowed me to pull out my long torx and looked inside. After seeing that the battery hadn't blown, I pulled out the $50 and took it back. It also included a power cable, ADB mouse, and the usual ADB keyboard that came with these. Except for a small ring on the front chin, the machine is actually in very good shape cosmetically, and will clean up nicely. It is one of the later Classic IIs that has the speaker holes pre-drilled in the side of the case.IMG_4937.thumb.JPG.2c6a2636d4f4f81528a945970c75d211.JPG

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.b4a811bc1f18cee0b458bc464f29f81e.JPGIMG_4935.thumb.JPG.88c6c9f0976799561110ed3603482726.JPGIMG_4936.thumb.JPG.2fa59e233cae2365cc7ef94e5e0c0e76.JPG

Nice find!

You probably want to look at recapping the analog board and checking the opto isolator, as they seem to be made out of cheap junk on these models (relative to the SE, anyway; those seem to last almost forever!)

If you leave it on and let it warm up, will it begin to wake up and boot? If so, the A/B definitely needs work.

And the LB, of course.  It looks lightly corroded, but nothing a good scrub won't fix.

c

The screen fires up crisp and bright. The AB seems to work very well, in fact. I think the LB capping is what is really needed thus far. I must have pretty good luck so far as far as analog boards: usually they work fine even before I recap them.

Edited by LaPorta

5 hours ago, LaPorta said:

The screen fires up crisp and bright. The AB seems to work very well, in fact. I think the LB capping is what is really needed thus far. I must have pretty good luck so far as far as analog boards: usually they work fine even before I recap them.

I agree that a LB recapping is needed, and with just a few exceptions (like about 5% of the compact Macs I've had), I have had the same experience with AB's.

Good call on always taking the Torx with you when you buy a Mac.

I admittedly did the same with the SE/30 I bought today. I opened it up on the padded seat of my car so I could check for a leaked battery before I bought it. This isn't the first time I've done it, either...once brought the tools into a coffee shop and opened a Classic II in front of a crowd of people...

Bought a copy of Macintosh Family Hardware Guide off eBay today. I figured it will make it much easier to figure out some of these circuits, rather than hunting down various scans of things online.

Nice score! I'll have to remember to bring my Torx screwdriver when I’m trawling our neighborhood garage sale this weekend. There may be some hidden Mac gems waiting to be purchased and I want to make sure that I'm not buying something with a corroded battery.