Papichulo

Should it be recapped?

So i had leaking capacitors on top of this board and just found this chip like this, no other damage is it worth recapping the board or is the chip a hazard at this point? Thanks 

20200201_152806.jpg

Edited by Papichulo

Uncertain as to what machine/board you have. What in the pic are you looking at exactly? All these machines should be re-capped if not done so already. 

Powerbook duo 280c. I think the small black chip where U24 is was shorted or something when i plugged it in. I have no idea if i should recap it if its bad. Theres a fish smell when i turned it on 

Edited by Papichulo

looks like its nearly burned, so yea i would say that IC is shot. 

But that is the least of your concern. The bigger concern is the chain-reaction collateral damage potential that happened when the IC blew out. How many other parts went with it? 

Edited by techknight

I dont think the screen did but i have no idea if thats any good. Im trying find a new logic board for it like a 270c , 2300c or 280c. Something was burning when i plugged it in i dont know how that happened!

I've heard Duos logicboards are timebombs... If one powers it with leaking caps inside -> little hope to make it work again even after recapping! I have a 210 I racapped years ago but... too late (it boots to the gray screen... when it boots!).

Edited by tjjq44

That means that board has been started up with leaked caps which is very common problem for people who pulled out those Duos and fire them up.. I have about 7 Duos that previous people have attempted to fire them up are no good - one day I am hoping to build 7 boards into one or 2.
Cheers

AP