Sign in to follow this  
equant

PowerBook Maintenance Checklist and advice?

I just acquired a 165 and 145B, which inspired me to pull my other 165 out of storage.  Does anyone have a checklist of things that need to be done to these things to keep them happy?  I've pulled the power batteries out of them.  I've read about pram batteries... do these need to be replaced, or can I just remove them?  And then, what about recapping, is it possible/necessary with these powerbooks?

I've noticed that all three PBs have vertical/horizontal artifacts on their screens.  Is this likely due to pram issues, or something else?

Thanks!

The 68000 PB screen capacitors are bad all over the place and if there are any artifacts on the screen its a pretty sure bet that they need to be replaced. Remove or replace  the battery and replace the capacitors on the screen inverter board while you are in there. If the hinges are intact, once you start disassembling the screen, do not attempt to open or close the screen or the hinge mounts can snap. I'm here now looking for a list of capacitor sizes for a couple of PB 68000 models.