My LC575 (pictured here alongside my CC) has after the ~ ten years since that photo was taken begun to get brittle plastics, and I am wondering whether it is worth trying to keep.  I doubt it is worth trying to sell, as I am pretty sure it would not survive being shipped (the CRT would surely break free from the casing), and I expect to move across country in about 16 months, meaning much the same thing applies. I doubt that Herself would welcome me taking it to our new abode anyway.

Its logic board lives in the CC, btw, so it is not in play. Having said that, the Trinitron in the LC575 was wonderful. Is there some alternative use for it, say as a spare for a conventional 14" monitor? I am not sure how these things work. Can CRTs be swapped between monitors at all, or is that basically impossible? I am an ignoramus about such things.

Color Classic/ LC575 siblings

Edited by beachycove

The trinitron CRTs are pretty much all the same. 

that CRT, (if its the same size) can fit in some of the other Apple Trinitron monitors of the same size.

I know some of those displays were actually 13" but the CRT may still be the same. 

Edited by techknight

17 hours ago, beachycove said:

I am pretty sure it would not survive being shipped (the CRT would surely break free from the casing), and I expect to move across country in about 16 months, meaning much the same thing applies.

I thought I remember someone on here having luck with removing the CRT and shipping that separately from the rest of the machine.  Of course, that introduces the new problem of how to keep the CRT's neck from breaking in transit when it's not protected by the case (the case it would crash through and absolutely destroy if it were left in for shipping).  If you're looking to sell I'd have to imagine there's someone in your neck of the woods that would be interested in doing a local pickup.

Regarding 13 vs 14 inches...that actually comes about because of how Apple used to measure monitors.

The 13" and 14" Apple Trinitron displays are the same size. The reason? When the Hi-Res Display first came out, Apple measured by how much was actually viewable, assuming the height and width were set to the defaults (with the black border around them). Many competitors only measured the size of the physical screen. Sometime around 1993, that changed, and the extra inch was tacked on despite the monitors being the same size, both physically and in terms of viewing area.

The 575 display should fit fine into a Macintosh Color Display, which was the Trinitron standalone from the same time period as the 500 series. It may also work with the Hi-Res Display, Apple's earlier Trinitron product. 

Since CRTs are hard to dispose of, both from an environmental and legal standpoint, it's worth keeping, especially if you do acquire one of those displays or another 500 series someday and find it's in need of a display. The CRT itself usually lasts practically forever; other components in the monitor itself can go and if the CRT does need replaced, it's going to likely be from a scratch, burn-in, or some phosphor issue caused by overuse (though I've rarely seen this on Trinitrons, both TVs and computer monitors).

Unless the thing has 50,000 hours on it and the CRT has gotten weak. its rare, but I have seen a couple computer monitors this has happened to. 

IBM PS/2 monitors being one of them, I have an IBM PS/2 monitor that the CRT has been worn into the ground. Has burn-in of course, but the emissions from the electron gun are so weak, turning up the brightness has severe color bleeding and blooming. Thats how you know the CRT is done for. 

Surprisingly, I found a NOS replacement. Havent changed it out yet though. 

I saw a neaT video once of then actually overhauling a CRT, melting off the back and re-doing and vacuuming the insides. I have no idea what they did, but I guess it is possible.